Classic Pandora as an MP3 -player?

Eloraato

Still Fresh
Hi!

Does the Pandora work as an MP3 -player? Does it fit into pants' pockets with headphones plugged in? (the cord in my headphone plug starts from a 90 degree angle.

The Pandora works as a very good MP3 player; it'll also play FLAC, OGG, and probably a few proprietary formats I've not checked yet.

It's a bit big for my jeans pockets though. It'll fit in my coat pocket fine during winter months, but for the summer I take a smallish bag if I'm using it for music playback.

I use it frequently as an MP3 player at work, but it sits on my desk. If I have a suit jacket on (which is rare), it'll go on the inside pocket; same with my coat.

But make sure, you have an L- Shape headsphone jack adapter, because when you put the Pandora in you pockets, it will be on end so the headphone jack is on side,

unless on Phones, where the Headphone Jack is often on the Bottom of the Device..

So you need an Adapter or Headphones whit an L Jack..

Pandora is a Pretty good MP3 Player, its have unlimitet Space, (depents which Cards you use), a great Soundship, and whit the right Software, you can even listen to your C64 SIDs (this plays par exemple the Giana Sisters Soundtrack on my Pandora)..

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, my coat pockets are wide enough that I can put my Pandora in with the hinge side down, so the headphone port is at the top, and use my straight-plugged headphones in that.

It will be the most ridiculously overspecced MP3player in history, but hey, who doesn't love ridiculously overspecced gadgets? :D

I read the original question:

Does the Pandora work as an MP3 -player?

as something that, in effect, asks whether it'd be reasonable to get a Pandora for this reason (If the OP already had a Pandora, s/he would already know the answer).  Thus "Will be" in reference to "When you do get one". 

Makes sense to me. It might be a particular swedish way to express it, though :)

Hi!

Does the Pandora work as an MP3 -player? Does it fit into pants' pockets with headphones plugged in? (the cord in my headphone plug starts from a 90 degree angle.
Depending on your pocket and how the connector is on the headphones it should work out well for you.  If you wear skin tight pants with tiny pockets and the headphone thingy sticks out half an inch before the 90 degree angle it might be uncomfortable or damaging to something.  The headphones that have a low profile piece next to the connector where the angle is right after where it connects is less likely to be a problem.

Make sure you check the Pandora dimensions to see if you feel it will be too large.  It is pocket sized but it is pretty much all I can fit in most pockets.  I use my CC Pandora for music and it works great for me, however once I got a new headset (with mic) I found that the pins didn't match up correctly, so my headset doesn't work with it.  Normal headphones work fine, though.

it's quite a huge mp3 player... but as it was said, quality is top notch, battery life is huge... and you can even use it for other purpose... as for your pocket, I hope you have big pockets...

Pandora gets the job done, sound is good and can be used as a backup player. From a practical pov I would recommend something smaller with rockbox. Especially if you like to listen to audiobooks / podcast and/or want to listen while biking or exercising. I listen to podcasts / audiobooks every day and for that I can choose between my 3 sandisk sansa clips and 1 sandisk sansa c100 with rockbox. I used to have some sansa E200's as well.  2nd hand pretty affordable.

however once I got a new headset (with mic) I found that the pins didn't match up correctly, so my headset doesn't work with it.  Normal headphones work fine, though.
That's a good point that's worth repeating in this thread. Unfortunately, the de facto specs changed after the Pandora was designed and the Pandora's ended up with wiring that doesn't work with a lot of headsets (e.g. if it says it works with iPhones, it won't work well with the Pandora).

As I understand it, you can make it work by holding down the button that's usually found alongside the microphone. I've just checked and there are a number of converters available for the price of a beer which will allow you to use apple headsets in a pandora.

More details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_%28audio%29#TRRS_standards

All headphones that don't include a microphone will just work, it's worth noting.

Edit: I wouldn't recommend wearing headphones when cycling on public roads, fwiw.

Unfortunately, the de facto specs changed after the Pandora was designed and the Pandora's ended up with wiring that doesn't work with a lot of headsets (e.g. if it says it works with iPhones, it won't work well with the Pandora).
This is interesting. My headset works with Android devices, and I thought iPhones and such used a different standard.  The only modern Apple product I own is an old ipod, and it works with that.  I can't remember what the button is supposed to do, however it works with both, it just does different things (I think it pauses playback on one and skips to the next track on the other). 

As I understand it, you can make it work by holding down the button that's usually found alongside the microphone.
This works with mine. I just skip using the headset with my Pandora since I don't want to hold or tape the button down.

BTW I just realized another 'problem' with a Pandora is that it has only two buttons with a closed lid - I am not sure if there is a program that utilizes them when it is closed. Try skipping or FF an mp3 on a Pandora without getting it our of your pocket and opening it. With a 'rockboxed' clip including voice files you can manipulate anything without ever looking at the screen using a couple of buttons on an mp3 player (even accessing something like the equalizer settings). 

Edit: I wouldn't recommend wearing headphones when cycling on public roads, fwiw.
Deaf people ride bikes too and what about folks in cars?

Deaf people ride bikes too and what about folks in cars?
Well, wearing headphones but not listening to anything is probably not too bad, but I was more referring to listening to anything distracting like music on the move.  I'm not quite sure how to justify people in cars listening to loud music, except to point out that being distracted while on a bike surrounded by heavy vehicular traffic is more likely to be injurious than it is in an armoured box yourself.

On a bike myself I often use the road or engine noise of cars behind me to cause me to look round to see where they are.

BTW I just realized another 'problem' with a Pandora is that it has only two buttons with a closed lid - I am not sure if there is a program that utilizes them when it is closed. Try skipping or FF an mp3 on a Pandora without getting it our of your pocket and opening it.

Doesn't deadbeef let you assign keys to controls?

Back