Closing The Menu After Connecting Via Telnet

MSweeney

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Ok ,so I thought this question had been addressed.. but I am unable to find the info, so please bear with me if this has already be answered.

I am currently developing on my PC, then using samba to copy the files over to /mnt/sd.. Then I telnet to the GP2X device and run my app.

The problem is, when the menu is already running and I execute my file, it runs REALLY slow.. and I can see the menu peeking through. Obviously I need to somehow close the menu, but how can I do this from a bash prompt on the telnet session?

I know I can run my files fine using the menu, but then I get no debugging messages on my telnet session - I really do not need the menu, so it would ideal for me to just close it from telnet and continue from there.

My programs currently just exit without restarting the menu script.. and this seems to work fine.

Cheers,

Matt

From the telnet write ps (enter) and you will see the active processes.

After that, write kill pid (enter), where pid is the pid of the first gp2xmenu you will see in ps command.

Regards

or just killall gp2xmenu
but it wills till be running at 100mhz than, use the tweaker to set it to whatever you want.

MSweeney posted on May 4 2006 at 09:19 AM said:
Ok ,so I thought this question had been addressed.. but I am unable to find the info, so please bear with me if this has already be answered.

I am currently developing on my PC, then using samba to copy the files over to /mnt/sd.. Then I telnet to the GP2X device and run my app.

The problem is, when the menu is already running and I execute my file, it runs REALLY slow.. and I can see the menu peeking through. Obviously I need to somehow close the menu, but how can I do this from a bash prompt on the telnet session?

I know I can run my files fine using the menu, but then I get no debugging messages on my telnet session - I really do not need the menu, so it would ideal for me to just close it from telnet and continue from there.

My programs currently just exit without restarting the menu script.. and this seems to work fine.

Cheers,

Matt
Hi
There is a problem if you just kill the gp2xmenu proccess, and then launch your program: it will run at 100MHz which is the menu clock speed unless your program sets the CPU Speed.
If you want to test it at 200 MHz but having debuggin messages, here is something you can try:
  • Start the console, plug it to your computer and enable telnet, ftp, etc.
  • Connect via telnet to the console
  • kill the gp2xmenu proccess
  • telnet session: type
    Code:
    cd /usr/gp2x
  • telnet session: type
    Code:
    ./gp2xmenu &
  • Select your program from the menu and there you have it, 200MHz and standard input/output on your telnet session
What you are doing with this is killing the standard menu and then launching it again on the background as a child proccess of your telnet session. This way, all sdtin and stdout messages from the menu or any program it launches will be redirected to your telnet session.

Regards
kounch

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look at the gp2xengine source code, or the hh-mode sdk, or the cpu tweak, all of which contain code to change the cpu speed (no, it's not a swi call).

or just run the cpu tweaker before running your program.

Back