Comming To London

geo12

Retrofuturist
Website
Visit site
Tomorrow im leaving for London for a week. Im saying at St. James place. It would be really great if some of you locals could tell me where some things i must see, and places to go. I can't wait, it sounds like such a great place!! ^_^

leeds, its the centre of the universe
no really it is,

london: trocodero centre (spelt wrong) its got arcade games

Ahh London, love that city!

Right, well obviously you have to do various tourist things.

I'd recommend the Houses of Parliament, then wandering over the Thames and having a ride on the London Eye. Check out a Museum or Gallery and i can't rate the New Globe Theatre highly enough, especially with this awesome weather!

Other places you should go to would be: Oxford Street, just wandering up and down it to get a sense of British shopping culture. Hamleys toy shop, its great! Tottenham Court Road, the major technological centre of London, gadgets upon gadgets upon gadgets!
Camden is the rock and hippie mecha of London, the market is not something to be missed.

For nights out you have to give the bars of soho and the west end a try. Ronnie Scotts is an awesome jazz bar in soho, kind of pricey but very worth it! Equinox in Leicester Square is a brilliant club.

urm....

anything else, just give me a shout!

If you go to Camden, watch your wallet. Its nice apart from all the pickpokets.
Would you belive I lived in london for 10 years and never went on the london eye or went to big ben.

spray posted on Mar 18 2005 at 10:40 AM said:
Equinox in Leicester Square is a brilliant club.

urm....

anything else, just give me a shout!

Please tell me your taking the piss, that and the hipperdrome are the worst clubs in London! In fact the clubs around leicster Sq are dire. Its a running joke with anybody who lives to say you've been to equinox, if you have don't admit it! lol

Check www.fluidfoundation.co.uk or viewlondon.co.uk for ideas of places in the evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
xboxit posted on Mar 18 2005 at 11:24 AM said:
namco world :p

isnt it sega world? was sega world taken over by namco? or is it something different?

Soho, hang get out at Covent Garden tube station, wander round the piazza, cool place. Walk down Neal Street to leicester square, find the small streets! Great vibe north of Leicester Square, through to China Town, and the seedy peep shows (not many left but SO seedy!)

Oxford street is okay, there is a phantastic retro games shop, you have to go left up a street just before Totenham Court road (can't remember whic, just after Game...?). HMV is huge, worth a wander! Up Totenham Court road, you can buy kinda cheap electroogoods (not that cheap, but good for window shopping!).

Hyde park is cool, when the sunshines! Regents park is better for ogling.

The National Gallery is free, and is amazing, whether you like art or not. You can dooa tour of Buckingham Palace. The Cinemas on Leicester square cost a fortune, but are worth it. The Imax cinema on the south bank is superb! The royal opera is cheap if you buy a day ticket (it's great too-no really it is!), The theatres in the west end nearly all have tickets for sale, so avoid the touts and booths (matinees are good and cheap-avoid the mousetrap!!!!).

London eye if you like queueing. Madame Tussards is ok, Tower of London interesting. London Zoo is excellent.

Clubs, been a while since I was clubbing in London, so your best bet is to pick up a copy of Time out and look there (a very good magazine- buy one anyway as it covers everything from gay culture to opera/ballet. essential purchase.)

Avoid the underground (especially rush hour!), buses are better but slower. Try a tour bus (never done one!)

Weekends head up to Camden Town. Watch your Wallent EVERYWHERE!!!

Holland park, notting hill-lots of small village type suberbs that are worth wandering around.

Email me if you wanna know anything else. It's a great huge (it's HUGE) city, with so many different parts. There is whatever you want. But I hated living there. Now I miss it (a big city in Germany has about 1 million, london has 17 million!!!!).

My fav spot is around the Piazza at covent garden.

:D

Faringdon and Kings Cross are the best places to go clubbing (or if you have to include School Disco if its still going in Hammersmith)

When I lived in London I would go to Fabric every other weekend, usually same crowd - v. friendly, it was like a religion.

Also my best club experience and transcendental moment was at The Cross in Kings Cross. Watching the sun rise over a barren landscape with "Blue Monday" playing in the background was quality.

lizard808uk posted on Mar 18 2005 at 02:45 PM said:
When I lived in London I would go to Fabric every other weekend, usually same crowd - v. friendly, it was like a religion.

Also my best club experience and transcendental moment was at The Cross in Kings Cross. Watching the sun rise over a barren landscape with "Blue Monday" playing in the background was quality.

Fabric crowd and atmosphere has definitly changed, hadn't been in a year or so went a couple of months, hardly any english people, seems to be taken over by very moody agressive easten europeans.. quite a lot attitude, not as friendsly as it used to be.

The Cross on the other hand still rocks :) Space is my fave night there..
Eggs nearby is pretty cool too.. used to like bagleys when i was younger but tis no more..
Heh the kings cross good yard area is a mecca for clubbers.. several top clubs and lods of mad after parties kicking off at 6am! :p

If i was going don london for the weekend, one pub i would definitly pop in for a pint is Joxy O bradys (sp?) its just off piccadily circus, often take firneds who are visiting there.
It has a tiny side entrance but is massive inside, its designed like the inside of an old church with tree that stretches in the center several storys ghigh in the middle.
Really worth the visit, would op by early on as it gets very busy later in the evening.

Bar anon is not too bad for a late night drink.. its 7 floors of bars each one slightly differntlt styled/playing different music, round the corner from joxy's (smart dresss).. Its not a bad place for the west end, and a bit different, if your just down for the weekend worth going as its central.

If your into Indie music 'Frog' on charringcross road on a saturday, reasnably priced drinks and entrance (£5), always has very good bands on between 9-11pm and then indie dj's till 4am. Avoid any of the small clubs off oxford street there all crap.

very geeky but...

the tate modern, science museum and the Natural history museum are good days out worth every penny!

avoid tourist traps, there not worth it!

dont be afraid to wander - crime is not rife!

camden market - and the jamaican food stalls are excellent...

Best bit of london is just riding the tube though!

sPaCe :ph34r:

Thank you so much to everyone. Most of that stuff i never would have thought to go to. Im so excited! :D

There is a vietnames(sp) noodle bar right next to a train bridge and its so good. Just thinkin about it makes me druel :wub:

as said in the last page namco world is a good place for arcades, its near the london eye and a aquirium. A good club to go to is in totnem court road in a place called MF, they do something different nearly every day :D . you should also go to the royal albert hall its ssoo amazing. and if you want to go to a nice restaurant go to waga mumas its in high street kensington :D its japanese and very delicious :p

THE TROCADERO HAS FZERO AX!!!!

and they had Outrun2 before its UK release!!!

I LOVE THAT PLACE

sadly they also have all the new Atomiswave games which are arse

Back