Community Game?

whitestripes44

Still Fresh
Hey all

Well, I've been thinking a bit lately about how to help the GP32. There is plenty of progress being made with f-series emulators and the like, but I still feel there's more to be done. Then I had an idea: How about the community all works together to create a single game?? We could have a "core group" of, lets say, 4 of the most talented coders, 3 artists for graphics/sound, 2 writers/designeres, a webmaster, and a project leader. The rest of community can also contribute by helping with the design, creating levels with a level editor (depending on the game type), beta testing, etc. I personally would be more than willing to act as a writer for the core team, but I will gladly allow any scene vets who want the position to take it.

In terms of game types, here are the ideas I have in rough order of practicality

1) RPG - It would have to be unique though, not just "another RPG"

2) Action/Platformer - Something fun and fast

3) Port of game that, for some reason or other, cannot be emulated - My suggestions are Comix Zone, Worms 2..

I have an idea for a game that combines the first 2 genres, as well as some puzzle aspects. It would be a "theft RPG". Think Metal Gear Solid, only instead of just infiltrating heavily guarded areas, you are attempting to steal certain items - be it just cash or things that can be sold on the black market. Early on in the game you join a certain "street allience," which gives you purpose as you move up the ranks and try to steal from other allience's warehouses, not just innocent corporations. As you progress, the buildings you inflitrate will become more and more heavily guarded, and feature a wider variety of traps and security measures. However, you will have the ability to buy black market tools and information that will help you immensly. If there are specific items you like, you can pocket those for yourself as well.. and decorate your dirty Apartment with them!! Think about it, Animal Crossing fans: no more "sissy" insults!

I think if the gameplay was well designed enough, this could be LOADS of fun!! But I think there are other games we could make... I just want to make something!

I hope this sounds exciting to some of you out there. I know that we're able to make something insanely good if we put forth the effort.

Later

Cool - interesting idea. Trouble is... it's coordinating something like this. If people were willing to commit to it, then it might just work...

Who's up for it?

It's not going to work unless someone plans exactly what it is and makes sure that it doesn't change. Noone really gets anywhere unless theres already a plan. Example: Here

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, thats the good thing about this community. There are a few people with a LOT of experience in game development, and could probably adequately manage others

Axeman, I think we should make this happen :D Do you like my specific game idea, or should we do something else?

Maybe a simple (but hard-to-emulate) arcade game could be converted with ripped graphics and sound, but have the gameplay coded from scratch (similiar to Iceman's Metal Slug project). Something like Rockman (Mega Man) Power Battles with PC-linked online play could be a success, and wouldn't be the most complicated project to put together, either.

this would definitely rock.

ive been in team projects before (in fact, im still in one, although im the only one free to work on it and im not the coder :( )

im a pixel artist/musician/graphic designer/CGer/programmer/sound fx guy/game designer.

my skill levels are as follows (self rating out of 10):

pixel artist :: 6
musician :: 8
graphic designer :: 6
CGer :: 4
programmer :: 3
sound fx guy :: 7
game designer :: 9

ive already thought up some game ideas before this, if anyone wants to hear them just ask.

who wants to be the coordinator?

After writing hundreds of game rpg stories for rpgmaker2000 and 03 for alot of years not to mention my prized snes version. I developed many unique story lines, but this wont exactly be good on timing give me about a month and ill whip somthin completly gangsta/sweet(im using rock/rap terms today).

I can make it Mature-17+, or appeal to everone and make it Teen-13+ or E-everone. future shit is not my thing, im very good at fiction and fantasy story concepts.

Reply by tommarow, Im very busy mainly working on MS2 port(metal slug2). but i can fit an hour or three everyday for the story. Long or short? Also it would be a good idea to set an online meeting place to discuss this(chat room?)
bye now

Im starting to write ill post a short sample tommarow, right now I'll go for Mature-17+(i love writing epic violence). Also i will make a Teen-13+ version. E-everyone all ages is just not my thing right now. Ive chosen fantasy unless someone tells me otherwise. Also if its okay Can i make the intro animation, Im a very talented computer Animater but i cant do anything thats non Anime style :( , I have made a really good game that is visual basic with graphics that rival most 2d shit, but ive only been codeing for a year(computer game programing classes).
Bye now

i was referring to the 'about a month' part. if you can do an anime intro, thats cool. the blood and guts will attract a lot of attention (which is good) and hasnt been done before (as far as i know).

whos in:

Delsabre
gp32animefreak

anyone else?

ON the point made earlier, I'd like to see Project X ported across to the GP32, with the ripped sound and GFX (as the Amiga isn't likely to ever get emulated at anything like a high enough speed to run it properly).

When I get some time (maybe over Xmas) I plan on getting into devving for GP, probably starting with a Gaplus rip off (GPlus) or Galaxians (GaPaxians) vertical shooters to start with, then scrollers (Armalyte on C64 and Project X on Amiga are my favourite games of all time bar Elite).

Once I know what I'm doing I plan on porting Elite TNK for Gameboy Advance to GP as the current GP native is from the PC version and you can't access any of the ship upgrades as you don't have enough keys.

I'm not the guy that can do everything but i must be able to do at least something for this game. Just send the boring stuff to me ;)

I got about a good 4 pages in, let me know if you want me to type it and post it, or tell me ahead of time to stop writing, because i dont want to move foward unless its a defenite paln to make a community game

So its me and Delsabre and dolphin so far
Were going to need a good coder, come on people this will be a must for the scene and if were quick about things we could get a sequal by next adic or the oringinal into some near comp.
also it may be a good idea to have a board admin for popularity/publicity/good for the image.
People please reply this could happen ,but WE NEED YOUR HELP COMMUNITY.

I'd love to help you guys create a game but I know absolutely nothing about programming!!!
Maybe if theres some simple stuff like some little pictures or icons or something I'd love to give it a go, but if not nevermind.

B)

I could perhaps help a little.

I´ve just begun learning C++, so the coding part will have to be done bu someone else. I not very good with graphics.

I could perhaps write some (dialogs etc.), or create scenarios (maps and stuff, given proper tools that is)

If you're able to get hold of a fairly efficient midi interpretter, then I can do some music for it. Although an awful lot of them only work using 66MHz of processing power (they effectively convert to samples - very CPU intensive). I know there's one that uses 20MHz out there though developed for Doom, so if you can get that and want midi backing, please ask. Code-wise though or gfx, I'm out, I'm afraid...

Back