Comparison Of Each Handheld Console Vs Gp2x For Emulation

renejr902

Website
Visit site
I had most handheld console. This is my comparison between them. I will give them a rank by emulator console and a % of perfection comparing them with the real hardware and others emulators ( speed, stability, emulator options, strething option and quality, playability.) In fact, the more enjoyable emulator on the top 1.

NES EMULATOR ( considering the best nes emulator on each handheld)

1. Gba ( but you have to play it unscaled with sprite following the screen, its nice anyway) the more accurate emulator in speed. fullspeed with no framskip. D-pad really enjoyable with nes emulator 98%

2. Gp2x and PsP. its a tie ( Gp2x suffer from his jostick digital. PSP suffer from ghostling and blur. Gp2x streching look nice with nes emulator (different strechted option). PSP too with bilinear filtering) fullspeed with no framskip 95%

3. Nintendo Ds ( need to play it unscaled a little too large, great speed) fullspeed with no framskip 90% ( you can always play it with the gba nes emulator :)

4. Zodiac ( play nice great filtering but suffer fomr a bad jostick) fullspeed with no framskip 85%

5. Gp32 ( its not fullspeed with lj nes emulator vwersion 0.4 you have to use v0.3 instead to get fullspeed. Fullstreching look a little weird) 83%

SUPER NES EMULATOR ( considering the best nes emulator on each handheld)

1. PSP ( best speed, grea bilinear filtering, most games playable at frameskip 0 or 1, Great D-pad) 95%

2. GP2x ( great speed , slower with transparency On, Fullscreen stretched look a little weird, digital jostick not great for emulation but its ok.) 92%

3. Zodiac ( great speed, alittle slower than the gp2x snes emulator, but very enjoyable, fullscreen filtering look really nice, but really bad jostick for snes emulation. 88%

4. Nintendo Ds ( great speed with a lot of games, but No transparency.) But a lot of games very enjoyable, they are fullspeed. but a lot of games not playable too because no transprency. 85%

5. Gp32. ITs suck lol. Super Punchout playable with sound at frameskip 2. same thing with mario world.
A lot of games run very slow. 50%

6. GBA. At least a few games are playable fullspeed with no sound. a few of them have graphical glitch. 30%

GENESIS/ Megadrive ( considering the best nes emulator on each handheld)

1. Wow GP2X. You want a real genesis hardware in your pocket, this is the best emulator of all console emulators on all handheld. Full speed for all games ( all games i tried, at 200 to 250 mhz). No ghostling, great color, real screen resolution 320 x 240. no need for stretching for a lot of games. because they are 320 x 240 like the gp2x. This emulator is awesome. fullspeed with no framskip. ITS IMPORTANT TO CHOOSE PERFECT SYNC IN OPTION TO GET THE FULL FEELING OF SPEED IN SONIC LIKE A REALG GENESIS. anyway its not slowdown anything, why its not by default? 99%

2. PSP and NINTENDO DS. Its a tie. ( you dont want to buy a gp2x but want a genesis emulator that runs fine. Buy the psp or Ds, the same give similar result. PSP: fullspeed with a few slow down or vsync not always perfecly accurate OR DS : fullspeed rare slowdown but sound bug sometimes. The 2 emulators are really enjoyable. fullspeed with no framskip but a few slow down for psp, but not very often. but gp2x genesis emu feel really better than psp, because no slowdown and no blur or ghostling, in some way they are not in the same league. the ds feel great, and rarely it has slow down, excepted when a lot of effects, but it has sound bug after a few minutes of playing. 95%

3. Gp32 ( game playable at frameskip 1 with sound( most of time 30 fps) or for sonic with autoframeskip 25 to 40 fps, generally 40) some games like aladdin playable near 60 fps with autoframeskip a little faster than Zodiac. real resolution 320 x 240. 85%

4. Zodiac ( games playable at frameskip 1 with sound) (20-30fps) better at frameskip 2. all fullscreen emu look nice on Zodiac with filtering. 70%

5. GBA ??? is it exist 0%

Gamegear/sms

1. PSP ( all games fullspeed with no frameskip, great filtering fullscreen, Great D-pad) 98%

2. Gp32 ( All games full stretched fullspeed with sms32 v0.5 not fsms32 (fsms32 not fullspeed when full strectched) Great playability, great jostick digital. i always love the gp32 jostick controller. fullspeed with no framskip. 96%

3. Gp2x and Zodiac A tie( Gp2x cant play games completely full streched no option for that, jostick ok for games. All games fullspeed with no frameskip, more enjoyable than Ds and Gba) Zodiac great stretching , bad jostick, great speed. 92%

4. Gba and DS a tie ( anyway the best emulator is the gba emulator. so you have to play the gamegear gba emulator on DS) Fullspeed with no frameskip for all games, small screen, great D-pad for ds and gba. 85% because of the very small screen.

GAMEBOY mono and color emulator

1. PSP ( really prefer it. Fullspeed with no frameskip, full stretched with filtering look really nice, great brightness, great color palette, accurate speed, great emulator, great D-pad ( RIN emulator) 98%

2. Gp2x ( Fullspeed with no frameskip, but speed not always perfectly accurate, maybe its the vsync , great looking for full stretched, i dont like a lot the palette colors in any of the gb emulator. need progress here, if possible. gamma correction option, or others palette. the low brightness screen dont help here. colors not vibrant like psp. Jostick ok. 93%

3. Zodiac ( fullspeed with no framskip, great looking fullscreen strched, bad jostick for emulator) 88%

4. Gp32 ( not always fullspeed, too fast , too slow, but i didnt try the last version of fgb32 preview day because I CANT GET IT TO WORK GRRR !!! :( i tried the first version of fgb32. others emu dont runs great.) anyway more enjoyable than Ds and Gba 82%

5. Gba and DS ( i use the gba emulator goomba for the 2 console. fullspeed with no framskip, but little screen to play. 80% because of the tiny screen.

For gameboy advance the gp emulator runs a lot better with PSP. in fact PSP seem to run all games at fullspeed with rarely need for frameskip. Gp2x runs slow with some games. PSP 95% Gp2x = 85%

i didnt play much the others emu to compare them between console

This is my favorites hnandheld for emulators.

1. PSP ( all emus runs great , really nice for emulation, its the best, ghostling is not so bad, hard to see when playing, but some blur)
2. GP2x ( genesis emulator runs PERFECT, wow) (nes great too)others emu are good but not great like psp ones
3. Nintendo Ds ( love the fullspeed genesis emu on nintendo DS, and snes emulator runs great for some games
4. Gp32. good nes emulator, good genesis emulator, great sms/gamegear emulator, good gameboy emulator. Great to play in SUNLIGHT if you have a no light edition.

5. Zodiac nothing bad with it all emu runs enjoyable but bad jostick.
6. GBA ( yeah its 6th, but GBA HAS MY BEST NES EMULATOR OF ALL TIME) others emu are ok.

For me

NES = GBA
SNES = PSP
GENESIS = GP2X
GamegearSMS = PSP or GP32
Gameboy = PSP
Gameboy advance = PSP

I SAID THE TRUTH , i hope it can help some people to do their choice depending the favorites emulators

:) Respect you, for analized those emu, but you have tested a lot superficial.

PSP= SNES ok right, but also in GP2X the 90% go to frameskip 1 very well also to 180 Mhz, with SQUIDGESNES. However the snes emu is more good in PSP.

PSP= GBA ok

The GAMEBOY emu for GP2X go perfect also to 160MHZ!!!!! Look, brother look. :)

MASTER SYSTEM on GP2X also to 150MHZ is perfect!!!! but you have eyes? :blink:

NES= GBA?!? :blink: :blink: On GP2X to 170 MHZ is PERFECT !!!!!!

IF loves the SNES and GBA, and PSX perfect, take a PSP.
If loves all the emulators, MEGADRIVE, MEGACD, NES, GAMEBOY, C64, AMSTRAD, SEGA MASTER SISTEM, GAME GEAR, ATARI LYNX, TURBO GRAFX, ATARI 800, ATARI 2600, and others, the GP2X is the only solution. (FOR ME) :)

DARKGATE said:
:) Respect you, for analized those emu, but you have tested a lot superficial.

PSP= SNES ok right, but also in GP2X the 90% go to frameskip 1 very well also to 180 Mhz, with SQUIDGESNES. However the snes emu is more good in PSP.

PSP= GBA ok
The GAMEBOY emu for GP2X go perfect also to 160MHZ!!!!! Look, brother look. :)

MASTER SYSTEM on GP2X also to 150MHZ is perfect!!!! but you have eyes? :blink:

NES= GBA?!? :blink: :blink: On GP2X to 170 MHZ is PERFECT !!!!!!

IF loves the SNES and GBA, and PSX perfect, take a PSP.
If loves all the emulators, MEGADRIVE, MEGACD, NES, GAMEBOY, C64, AMSTRAD, SEGA MASTER SISTEM, GAME GEAR, ATARI LYNX, TURBO GRAFX, ATARI 800, ATARI 2600, and others, the GP2X is the only solution. (FOR ME) :)

Being able to play the games at or near their native resolution is a big plus for me. I don't see how it's possible on the psp with it's wide format. Has anyone used the psp as a book reader? Is the screen good enough? The gp32 works well, but the gp2x falls short, my eyes just can't take it. Looking at the psp with other things, I think it probably wouldn't be useful as a book reader, but I've never tried, so I don't know. A lot of my game playing time has been going to reading. I was never a big reader until a couple of years ago and since then I've read well over 100 books, many of them several times. I think I've read The Island of Dr. Moreau like 6 times (obviously one of my favs). It's amazing the little details you pick up on subsequent reads that you kind of miss the first time.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
i forgot % for the last emulator LOL. i add it, you can see it now. and i edited some description about a few emulators

i know sms is perfect on gp2x, but i find it more enjoyable on my gp32 with sms32 v0.5 and its fullspeed too. on gp32 the stretch option is better and the gp32 jostick is better too. that why i prefer to play sms with my gp32.

For nes, sincerely, cant explain specifically, but on gba pocketnes run like a charm, cant find any difference with thw real hardware. and you play pocketnes at the native resolution of the nes , so its very nice , even if its larger than the gba screen the follow spririt option works perfectly. i always take my gba to play nes games. i find the gba have less blur when moving in nes emulator. and THE CONTROL IS AMAZING ON GBA. thats all these reasons that make pocketnes for gba my first choice. Loopy and Flubba must be happy to heard that. :)

for gameboy i feel the game less fluid than PSP. The psp gameboy emulator from Rin, has a lot more option, a lot of version released, more mature. and PSP d-pad is better than gp2x jostick. note: i will mod my gp2x with a gba pad very soon.

i know my comparison is superficial sometime, but i need to be superficial to evaluate the most enjoyable emulator for each handheld. theres a lot of criteria thats make a emulator more enjoyable than another.

anyway if you have any question i can test it for you. I sold my zodiac 6 months ago to buy a palm, so i cant test it anymore. but i have the 5 others handheld.

But Zodiac has is compatible with 95% of the palm softaware and games that really nice. The screen is wonderful . my favorites screen of all gaming handheld. in some way the Zodiac will be similar to the pandora, but the pandora is a lot more powerful. Zodiac had 3d games that run nice for the time being.

This is the list of handheld with the best screen

1. Zodiac = 480 * 320. Very bright, very clear, beautiful.
2. Nintendo Ds. i know resolution is low 256 * 192, BUT VERY VERY BRIGHT, genesis emu look so fantastic with the Ds, it has the best colors a lot more accurate than PSP and Gp32 and gp2x. if you start the genesis emu with the ds , the psps and gp2x in the same time, its unbelieveble how thew Ds screen is a lot better. But its a little hard to play because the game screen is larger than Ds resolution. and you dont have a sprite follow option like with pocketnes.

3. Hmmm..... I will say PSP. The screen is so bright and clear, a lot of definition. But suffer from a little ghostling and a lot of blur. but gp2x has a better screen for emulation. but in general purpose the psp has definetely the better screen quality.

4. Gp2x. i find the brightness not enough bright its the less bright screen of all. but its ok anyway. in some application we see some interlace line ( not in picodrive. in emu you have to play with gamma setting to get a better screen quality. but you can do a good job in picodrive (genesis emu) when setting the gamma higher. in a final result i found the screen colors greater than psp in picodrive. but psp has a brighter screen. a lot more bright. BUT THE SCREEN HAS VERY LITTLE BLUR and no ghostling, that a nice point with sonic.

5. Gp32 i had a blu and now i have a no light edition, the screen is great too, similar to gp2x.

6. Gba screen has no backlight its why the screen quality is not great. But in sunlight ( same thing for a gp32 nolight edition) ITS ROCKS. i dont see any blur or ghostling with my gba.

IN BLUR AND GHOSTLING (ranking by worst)

1. PSP a lot of blur a little ghostling. i know its not funny
2. Nintendo DS, a little blur
3. GP2x, GP32, and Gba, a little little blur, less than DS, very hard to see.
4. cant remember clearly for the Zodiac, so i prefer not to comment.

renejr902 said:
and you play pocketnes at the native resolution of the nes
Not even close. NES is 256x240 (with about 256x224 or 240x224 treated as visible by most games), GBA is only 240x160. You lose a ton of vertical information, although flicker scaling tries to bring it back in. Last I hear the sound was also only using the GBC audio channels of the GBA, which are missing a few things from the NES counterparts: one bit of frequency for the square channels, sweep on square channel 2, and the DPCM channel. This also means that you can't get the extended audio of games such as Castlevania 3 (Japanese version). These are all things that I'm sure are not problems for the GP2X NES emulator. Playing anything aside from GB/GBC on GBA is a compromise, surprised someone actually thinks it's the best...

GBA also definitely has its own share of ghosting, or else games wouldn't try to pull off flicker blending so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
pocketnes has a auto sprite follow, so you dont miss any important visual information. the image is not scale, i play it unscaled, its 100% exact pixel, but you only have 160 for vertical, but with auto sprite following i dont care. if you play it scaled its horrible. anyway its so fun to play it unscaled with auto sprite follow. anyway i find pocketnes feeling more like a real nes than gp32 or gp2x nes emulator. thanks for the gba d-pad and the speed seems perfectly accurate. try for yourself. i really prefer play nes emulator with my gba. anyway people have their own opinion. For the sound i think youre right, maybe it miss some very rare sound effect. i remember too playing the japanease version of castlevania 3, youre right here, the US version has a sound problem. but i didnt update pocketnes since a long time, i dont know if the castlevania 3 US sound is correct now. and with my gba i dont notice any ghostling. i always play it in sunlight.

and thanks a lot for your wonderful gameboy advance emulator :)

Back