Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Circus Charlie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gyrus

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Time Pilot

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

When I get some time, I will be updating the tools to automagically queue offline, so that many of the existing games will work 'out of the box' (they'll need to refresh their pnd, or individuals can drop the updated tool into the appdata of the application to force the issue); but yeah, I'm so-far erring on the side of the honest player .. queue up scores seems utterly rational in that context.

I've not had much time to think about it but .. trying to come up with a 'secure' strong protected protocol, but that is also trivial for drive-by coders/porters to drop into their apps, may be undoable; likewise, keeping the code simple and easily insertable, not heavily bound to an executable..

When we open up to (say) desktop players, or r-pi, or whatever, I sort of worry it'll become cheatin' season, not entirely sure how to prevent it (sensibly.) (My original effort was modifying MAME, crypting it all to hell, key exchange, binary verification, etc etc..) .. but I very quickly realized you spend 99% of your time wresting with bullshit, and 1% actually doing the job you came for..

jeff

oh .. Currently "ROT" is undefined for the many reasons I've mentioned ..

But in general, my 'guess' is that if/when we run another ROT, we'll keep it to a few games, or a few games per category (a couple shmups, a couple platformers, ....) .. but can't really say for sure; some folks like a 'all c4a mega ROT', while others want a 'pick hard obscure title, go with that'; like.. a single two week burst opf "Here's Sinistar, hardest game ever made nearly, .. GO!". Who knows :)

jeff

Back