Computer/electronics names!

^ I think ED wins the thread with those last two. :lol:

Heh - seriously, has no one ever done a "ping openpandora.org" or checked the headers of any mails from the File Archive or board here? :D

Or "ping gp32x.de" :)

Oh, and Pandorawiki.org is still running on Sina, the very first dedicated server I had... the one that broke down when the preorders of the Pandora started :D

It's going to be switched off forever in a few months though :(

Last edited:
^ I think ED wins the thread with those last two. :lol:

Heh - seriously, has no one ever done a "ping openpandora.org" or checked the headers of any mails from the File Archive or board here? :D

Or "ping gp32x.de" :)
I did once, a while back, when I saw a thread where you suggested it. :lol:

Oh, and Pandorawiki.org is still running on Sina, the very first dedicated server I had... the one that broke down when the preorders of the Pandora started :D

It's going to be switched off forever in a few months though :(
Why's it being switched off? It sounds like Sina's a very Pandora-historically-significant server. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Some computer names I've had over the past 12 years, in very roughly chronological order:

Cecilia

Avalene

Transea

Cecilita

Avalene II

Sub-Transea

Excimer

Cataclyst

Nano-Transea

Reprise

Backlash

[…]

I forgot to add that the name of my PSP which is "Wipeout portable" because it's the games I play the most on it.

[…]

Little update, psp nearly died from the last firmware update.

I had to do some physical hacking into the battery to be able to reflash the firmware.

So right now, she's been promoted to the status of norse goddess of death, her new name is Hel.

All of my own personal computers have been given the names of alkane groups since about 2005, starting with Octane - because it sounded cool. Other computers I set up for family members just have some numeric prefix or word with the prefix. The router is set to assign static DHCP addresses to go with the numeric prefix, which makes remembering the IP for each computer easy. For the alkane group computers, the number is the carbon atom count, which roughly corresponds to the performance level of that computer, now that I think about it.

My Pandora will probably be named Propane.

4: Butane - current server

6: Hexane - current laptop

7: Heptane - current desktop

(retired) 4: Tetra - old desktop, was a server for a while

(retired) 5: Penta - old laptop

(retired) 8: Octane - old server (will reuse name at some point)

1: Monolith - main family desktop

9: Ennea - sister's laptop

10: Deca - brother's desktop

I've named most of my computers/devices, many of which I don't really remember the names of now:

Pentium 2: Jennifer (Don't remember why)

Pentium 3: Caroline (Name of the partner I had then)

Pentium 4: Jamekeria (A demon character I had in an RPG)

Core i7: Altena (Character from the anime Noir)

PalmPilot: Stefano (I think I was inspired from 'days of our lives'. Yes, I'm ashamed of it now)

128 MB flashdrive: Speedella (My very first flashdrive)

TI82: "Where the hell did I put it?!"

iPod G3: Linette (Character from a MUSH, a bard. Thought it fitting)

iPod G6: Linette (When Linny broke, this one inherited her name)

Sansa Clip+: Charlotte (Imaginary child of Linette)

Nintendo DS: Zelest (After me!)

Playstation Portable: Zelest (After me too!)

X-Box 360: Zelest (After the president of Cucumberdale)

Apart from that, I also name my harddrives:

Sandra, Mirellie, Chloë, Kirika, Chrome, Felicia, Jenny, Sebastian, Lisa, Magnus (those I remember of the top of my head)

So, mostly names... female names.

My HTC Desire HD doesn't have a name yet though... she quite needs one. Hrm... Buffy perhaps...

My computers inherit the name of a female anime character, roughly corresponding to the computer's attributes.

So far I have Mitsuki the server, Rei the dumb terminal, Asuka the laptop, Ritsuko the wireless router, and Yui the (other, Gentoo) server.
I was going to do that, but with Azumanga Daioh. (Where there is like one male character who has a name, and a dog.)

I think my external hard drive was going to be Chiyo-chan.

But officially, it's just lulz-laptop-2007, lulz-server-2010, and hopefully soon there will be lulz-pandora-2011 and lulz-desktop-2011. Exciting shit!

Of course, for NGE you could use the Magi systems, Casper, Balthasar, and Melchior. (sp?) Just remembered that now.

My general theme is "names that describe the machines function and/or location", mainly because it didn't even occur to me when I was naming them to come up with something clever. Although, My Pandora is named Anesidora. Which, well clever probably isn't the word, but it's something.

Man, that'd be cool if someone named a Nintendo DS after me.

... then again, given that someone named their website after me, I wouldn't be completely surprised if someone already has >_>

I had a Pentium 75 that I retroactively named Piss Bucket. Because that's what it was.

I don't talk to the computers by name, but I have hostnames set up in my local DNS servers and /etc/hosts files.

Some of my machines have names related to what they are or do i.e. Unraid, Voip, Router, Sheeva

Boring but easy to remember.

Or I have given them animal names like: Donkey, Pup, Phoenix, Unicorn

I've named my Pandora "Chopin" after the composer. Its the first machine I've named after a composer, maybe I will do that again.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/EvxS_bJ0yOU?feature=oembed

Hmm, I need to stop calling my setup "Command Central" and switch to something less generic.

My Pandora will be named "Invincible" after the FF3 Airship.

Back