Terrible games that have some good stuff

Interstate 76 was considered terrible by some, but it is one of my most favourite games. The car physics were great, and I remember how good it felt to be chased by an enemy car, drop some mines behind you and then handbrake and spin the car to face your pursuer, shoot off some missiles, spin back around and carry on going.

Thunderscape I really enjoyed too, although it is pretty clunky and generally pretty bad. Never finished it though, always wanted to get back to it and see if I could stomach plodding through the whole thing again.

Interstate 76 was one of my favourites and couldn't really understand why so many people didn't like it. Not to mention the Multiplayer play was pretty fun.

I'd love to be a cool guy and list a bunch of retro games, but I can't. Back when I played on the genesis (I was like 6) I got really lucky with the games I played, and even if I did play any bad ones I probably would have liked them anyways because back then there was no such thing as a bad game. Anyways, a few modern games that were bad but fun were: Vampire rain: An extremely difficult stealth horror game. I probably only liked this because I'm a sucker for stealth games. Bullet witch: Was kinda bad as a shooter, but the abilities with the building destruction made it really fun. Red ninja: Think tenchu combined with prince of persia, but bad. It's quite possibly the most awfully coded game ever. All of the game mechanics, like wall running or seducing enemies, only worked half of the time, but they were some cool/fun mechanics when they did work. And finally, I feel like I'm going to get flamed for saying this but... No more heroes. The level design was complete and utter shit, there were about 3 enemy models and two voice actors, there was NO mission variety, the freeroam was broken and buggy, but goddamn was it fun. I have to say it's my favorite game on the Wii even though I really do consider it a bad game.

While "Champions Forever Boxing" on the TG16 was a bad game to play, I actually thought the intro music was kinda funny in a catchy way and I loved the quality of the announcer voice "Ladies and Gentlemen in this corner..." In Battle Royale (wrestling) the Green wrestler makes a funny lean into the camera while going "Whoo ha ha" and I boot those 2 games just to see/hear those things and move on (also like the way the wrestlers scream when thrown out of the ring even if it's near impossible to actually do it yourself you can hear your character scream when the computer tosses you.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to add redneck rampage, it was pretty bad but I still enjoyed it

A couple of my old Atari 2600 titles were pretty poor, yet had a something about them which kept me playing.

Berzerk - the robot sprites and the buzz sound made this game.

Haunted house - I remember this game as basically pure black with a match lit occasionally to view the map, they made a game that didn't hardly even need graphics!

I can't remember how it sounds now, but I remember liking the music at the time

I remember having a lot of fun with Streets of Simcity until my computers became too fast to run it. I guess the AI glitches out on really fast computers or something. Who knows. It was never spectacular AI anyway.

Die Hard for the Sega Saturn had that depth charge arcade game. But then again, so does my cell phone.

I almost hate to say this game has anything god in it but I found that Too Human, once you got past the horrible combat, was a fairly addictive loot-fest. The rest of the game is horrid. The story has a cool premise but falls very flat and they made Baulder (the Norse equivalent of a whiny bitch) the main hero, rather than a real badass like Tyr.

A couple of my old Atari 2600 titles were pretty poor, yet had a something about them which kept me playing.

Berzerk - the robot sprites and the buzz sound made this game.

Haunted house - I remember this game as basically pure black with a match lit occasionally to view the map, they made a game that didn't hardly even need graphics!

I can't remember how it sounds now, but I remember liking the music at the time
Well, the ending tune was the beginning of the twilight zone theme. And three tones from low to high, or hi to low for going up and down the stairs. And I'll admit, I always though the wind blowing sounds was a bit creepy.

For mine, I'll say the arcade version of Phoenix. Kinda a clone of galaga, glitchy graphics like crazy at times, gameplay can go really slow or really fast almost randomly, the music either tries to put you to sleep or loud annoying bloops that makes you want to cover your ears, but has a few things that are memorable firsts:

-Three kinda distinct stage/enemy types

-A force field with a pro/con effect (you're protected and can shoot, but you can't move for the few seconds it activates; and overusing it will make it not work for a while (Yes I remember it saying that on the old arcade machine and always though that was really interesting for some reason))

-A boss that took up most of the screen (And that was the first game I ever saw do anything like that until the NES)

It may seem an odd one, but MYST was much hated by PC gaming magazines throughout the 90s (and later). They refused to concede there was a game involved in it at all (wot - no shotgun?). It's outlasted most of their careers, probably thanks to it's release coinciding with an upsurge in consumption of mind altering substances, but definitely in no small measure to the sense of isolation it creates. Zeitgeist and all that.

Pajamarama on the Spectrum, did everyone else just walk to the Arcade room in it and play the space invaders on acid clone? And ignore the rest of the game? Maybe I was too young.

Pyjamarama! It'd probably have been Pajama if it had been created stateside. Reminds me of a friend at the time we suspected was dyslexic as he would insist the game was called Piejaraymia. He also insisted 'peripherals' was pronounced 'perhippyals', but as he was also pretty pig headed he refused to acknowledge any well meaning corrections. I have a hazy memory of him causing pant-wetting mirth in a computer shop while inquiring about attachments for his Spectrum.

I digress, I did play Pyjamarama all the way through, although to be fair it was solely because I was paid to ;)

Back