Controller Limitations

rockraven500

Still Fresh
Is i understand there's an almost complete controller, but are there secondary shoulders and analog buttons? if not can i conect a ps3 controller?

it has a d-pad, two dual shock-esq analogue sticks, 4 action buttons and a left and right sholder button
otherwise you can pair a ps3 controller http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,115,4

hope that helps

I'd end up pairing a ps3 controller, the keyboard idea wouldn't be good though, you shouldn't have to move your thumb to press a button it would already be on, and the shoulders would be mapped to L/R 2 while F1/F11 would be 1's, overall controller better i suppose. thanks for the info

And if you reall really really want to you can solder your own L2 and R2 buttons on. The pads are available as far as I undertand...

HackModford said:
And if you reall really really want to you can solder your own L2 and R2 buttons on. The pads are available as far as I undertand...

How about a modifier key? Like you hold down 'Q' or 'P' and the shoulder buttons become R2 and L2?

Last edited by a moderator:
This might come in handy if I get one of the broken nub Pandoras, until I could get it fixed. Thanks for the info.

SomeGuy99 said:
HackModford said:

How about a modifier key? Like you hold down 'Q' or 'P' and the shoulder buttons become R2 and L2?

I think that's the best idea so far.

Unless you need to hold L1 and R2 or something, and once again removing thumbs from their buttons, and where would there be space for a solder buttons in? and analog buttons, what about them, lol, am I asking too much now? It's probably easier to use a PS3 controller, how much and when will the pandora be sold?

rockraven500 said:
how much and when will the pandora be sold?
gbax store still lists them as 330$; as for when... they're currently shipping the first batch right now (mine was shipped yesterday) and there may or may not be extras left to order. If there aren't, you may have to wait till the second batch gets produced.

Firewolf said:
rockraven500 said:
how much and when will the pandora be sold?
gbax store still lists them as 330$; as for when... they're currently shipping the first batch right now (mine was shipped yesterday) and there may or may not be extras left to order. If there aren't, you may have to wait till the second batch gets produced.

You will, the first batch is sold out. Batch two is looking like August/Sept, there probably won't be much of a break in shipping between batch1 and batch2. We have started ordering the parts already, we will explain when you can order from batch2 soon.

Then batch 3 will probably follow on for Christmas.

It's all going at 1000MPH here suddenly!

craigix said:
[
You will, the first batch is sold out. Batch two is looking like August/Sept, there probably won't be much of a break in shipping between batch1 and batch2. We have started ordering the parts already, we will explain when you can order from batch2 soon.

Then batch 3 will probably follow on for Christmas.

It's all going at 1000MPH here suddenly!

Pondering your thoughts on using that other company in the future to assemble, or will Village Hall morph into PandoraLand?

That would be cool.

Thanks again, really enjoying this device, it's totally worth the wait!

Link

Wow, it's finally sold out.
About damn time OP got a stable queue! Congrats guys!
Oh, and send my congratulations and sympathy to the girls. Just a few more weeks of hell for them.

@OP :"Almost complete" in comparison to the PS2/PS3? Just curious, why do you refer to those as complete? And why do you need analog buttons and secondary triggers that badly on the Pandora? If you have a game in mind you want to make, let us know :)

On the other hand, if you're worried about PS1 Emulation, I think Sony's right about the lower triggers not being used all that much. Even if they were in the games you want to play, there should be a way to map them to something else while still being able to play.
Oh, and pressure sensitive face buttons weren't added until the DualShock 2, which makes them pretty irrelevant for PS1 emulation ;) Besides, the only game I've seen those used in so far is Headhunter.

Nilsiboy said:
Oh, and pressure sensitive face buttons weren't added until the DualShock 2, which makes them pretty irrelevant for PS1 emulation ;) Besides, the only game I've seen those used in so far is Headhunter.

That's the only game he wanted to play, you insensitive clod¡

No games in particular, just used to having the buttons there. Now, I understand this has bluetooth, that means I can set up stuff like a headset, controller and such, but can I use it to conect to a home computer, using a Pandora as a tablet? Is the touch screen pressure sensitive, and does it support multi-touch.

PS: Gran Turismo also used Pressure sensitivity on the face buttons, for acceleration.

rockraven500 said:
Gran Turismo also used Pressure sensitivity on the face buttons, for acceleration.

Only on PS2 (GT3 A-Spec and GT4), mate (which Pandora will not/cannot emulate).

PSOne (GT1 and GT2) were primitive and were 100% digital in the face button control aspects.

The touchscreen is not multitouchable, but it might offer some crude pressure sensitivity. It was mentioned, I don't know if it's being worked on. Better not count on it.

craigix said:
Batch two is looking like August/Sept, there probably won't be much of a break in shipping between batch1 and batch2.
If that implies all of batch one is shipped out before August/September, it makes me happy.

Vlynndar said:
craigix said:
Batch two is looking like August/Sept, there probably won't be much of a break in shipping between batch1 and batch2.
If that implies all of batch one is shipped out before August/September, it makes me happy.
If the cases only take a month, then batch one might be out by July. How long did it take to get the first 1000 cases?

Back