COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
or the Brazilian variant

Here is one city in Brazil, January 2021

So let's watch and talk about that? (note that the staff has masks on *;)* )

Edit, you will need to read this data before you post anything about it:

Last edited:

Conveniently in English (I guess addressing in any of other 15 local languages would make all other groups angry).
What if you (Zimbabwean government) get a small batch of vaccines, and you treat yourself (Zimbabwean government) first?

Last edited:
Tips on how to wash your hands.

s5jwGZo.jpg

Edit, you will need to read this data before you post anything about it:

In 2020, number of deaths for Brazil was 1,404.62 thousand cases.

I don't know how to make sense of those numbers, how many different ages can a dead Brazilian have, if total deaths are 1404620 but 25-69 year old deaths are 3086050 and deads over 70 are 3105970 ?

I don't know how to make sense of those numbers, how many different ages can a dead Brazilian have, if total deaths are 1404620 but 25-69 year old deaths are 3086050 and deads over 70 are 3105970 ?
:-|| Good catch, my friend. That's certainly a wrong view in the database that counts data double. Don't look at that too hard, it does not make sense. Looking closely myself, it's a bad database to rely on.

Well, the official gov site is https://transparencia.registrocivil.org.br/registros
and "deaths" in Portuguese is "Óbitos" (you need to select that), so if you select 2020 as the year and "Tod@s" (by that I mean todos and todas - "all" in masculine and feminine form), then the number of registered deaths (doesnt matter the cause) is 1449034 (total deaths in Brazil in 2020)

Knoema has a number that is vaguely similar: In 2020, number of deaths for Brazil was 1404620, which is 44414 deaths that Knoema did not count, quite a big difference)

Now from here we see:
And for 2020 it's roughly 194000 deaths due to covid.

So the covid deaths are 13.38% of all deaths in Brazil in 2020. (deaths due to covid or suspected to have died from covid)

However, we also have this:

And if we take the total covid deaths in 2020 with the total deaths year to year, and interpolate 2020 (to calculate the "what if there was not covid, how many deaths would we have then") I come to the same interpolation as the paper, around 106000 extra deaths. (although they have calculated a value of 115042, near enough to my quick regression/interpolation). So roughly 6% extra deaths (in Dutch "oversterfte") attributable to covid, in Brazil in 2020.

Covid Brazil gov data:
It's weird, there is no xmas spike, there is however a slope increase starting in November 2020?. And now an expected dropoff (summer, too warm for the virus).

Last edited:
Well, I understand once you die of COVID-19 you can't die of anything else. So yes COVID-19 is going to prevent some other causes of death. It still causes more deaths than the diseases it replaces, and lots of suffering to some survivors. And even if the government keeps everything open, businesses close because customers fear contagion or fear expense in uncertain economic time. Movie theatres are closing even where they let them open, because majors are delaying popular movies until they think more people will watch them in theaters, so they don't sell tickets for watching not so attractive films while sustaining some contagion risk (and continuation of a precovid-19 decline) .

Yet I hardly know about life in Brazil and can't really comment. The video is from a rich neighbourhood, I don't know how much contact different classes have in Brazil, I'm not sure about population density, and traditions there. Could the spike in November come from Hallowen/Todos os Santos ? What do they do there in November? The dropoff might just be delay in updating data, maybe one or two months from now the same weeks will look different. But yes, summer seems to give lower spread to COVID-19.
People did also relax in northen hemisphere when summer came, and that's not proven very good for winter. It seems there're a lot of mutated variants in Brazil that can flourish thanks to poor prevention measures. I prefer more strict policies like in NZ or Australia.
Get rid of the virus in one place, close traffic into the place, resume normal life and keep doing the same in other places. If a few cases appear again, relock, get rid of them and reopen. Lockdown soon and strict to be able to open safely sooner (not too soon either). Aim not only for hospitals to cope, but for the virus to remain undetectable. In the end you get more unrestricted time, fewer deaths, fewer hospital load and fewer mutations. But the population needs to understand and collaborate, and that seems too much to wish for in some places.

Last edited:
I get my second COVID-19 vaccine shot at 11:45 am tomorrow.

They say the second one hurts more than the first. Fortunately, I still have the two Tylenol they gave me for my first shot that I never took. Um, is Tylenol still good after it's been lying in a tiny paper cup on the table in your apartment for four weeks?

It's "only" paracetamol (freely available in France and certainly many other countries, but bad for the liver).
Again, better ask a doctor than computer guys :^)

Haven’t read the study yet but am surprised that the filtration doesn’t work better with a surgical mask on top of a cloth one. Particularly when thinking about how ACU filtration systems are designed, there’s usually one or two “sacrificial”, less fine pre-filter(s) before the HEPA filter so that they catch larger particles first and you don’t have to replace/clean the more expensive HEPA filter so often. Also, some cloth masks seem to give a much better fit with fewer/smaller gaps between them and your face than some surgical masks :S

Yeah, I saw on the news this morning that the CDC recommends two masks now. Right when I had just gotten used to one mask too.

"It's just a mask."
"It's just two masks."
"It's just two masks and pants that say 'KICK ME' on the front."

Haven’t read the study yet but am surprised that the filtration doesn’t work better with a surgical mask on top of a cloth one. Particularly when thinking about how ACU filtration systems are designed, there’s usually one or two “sacrificial”, less fine pre-filter(s) before the HEPA filter so that they catch larger particles first and you don’t have to replace/clean the more expensive HEPA filter so often. Also, some cloth masks seem to give a much better fit with fewer/smaller gaps between them and your face than some surgical masks :S
I just read it. Apparently (also heard elsewhere) the point here is not the engineering but the fit to face. ACUs work with easier ducts and surfaces than human heads. A disposable surgical mask on the face filters well, but typically leaves holes and pathways for aerosols to be breathed without going through the filter. The cloth mask over the surgical mask just presses it more towards the face and filters a little whatever air skipped around the mask if there are open holes yet between face and surgical mask.

I've only tried double mask once. I had problem with condensation on my glasses but that happens always to me the first day or two when I try a new model of mask. I eventually learn somehow what to do to avoid it. I guess condensation means some air is slipping around the mask, but I'm not sure.

I've only tried double mask once. I had problem with condensation on my glasses but that happens always to me the first day or two when I try a new model of mask. I eventually learn somehow what to do to avoid it. I guess condensation means some air is slipping around the mask, but I'm not sure.
Yeah, we have two causes for steamed up glasses now. The glasses being cold coming from outside and breathing humid air directly towards the glasses thanks to the masks. The first one you can somewhat mitigate by rubbing the glasses with a thin cloth, unless your fingers are very cold also. One could also warm the glasses in one's armpits, but that doesn't really help with the see-through.

Reactions: rSl
- Pr. Perrone and al. will have a publication in the New England Journal of Medicine tomorrow :^)
They debunk the phony Recovery study, no more, no less.
- Ivermectin seems to work even better than hydroxychloroquine.
- Also, the journalist says that the three most seen doctors on french TV got respectively 130 000, 170 000 and 540 000 euros from big pharma incl. Gilead !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back