COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
So should I get the vaccine or not?

If I don't I will almost certainly be labelled a dissident, at least in some classified government database, and given lesser treatment if - correction: when - I do get the disease.

@netcat

Note that IF you get it, the recovery time is long. And there are vague problems, like lesser lung/oxigen capacity (tiredness), damaged tissues (for example: the heart). There is very little good information about this.

Then IF you vaccinate: Your body reacts and you might get some flu-like symptoms, but those are part of your body reacting. However, these reactions, in a small fraction of people, can actually also lead to many problems (I'm sure you've seen these).

I am not a doctor, but bloodclots can be minimized with small dosis of aspirine. But I have no idea if it is benefitial, because it is also a blood thinner (which, for some kind of people, makes things worse).

So should I get the vaccine or not?
You already got a serious answer from @ClockworkCoder. We don't know your risk factors, your clinical record, your life and contacts, the opinions or traumas of people you care for if you say yes or no, and that in addition to us not being doctors. Even doctors don't have years of data to draw on.
If I don't I will almost certainly be labelled a dissident, at least in some classified government database, and given lesser treatment if - correction: when - I do get the disease.
Are you sure you're not already labelled as dissident for something else ? I wouldn't care much for what the government can do to you. They can do it to you whatever you decide if they so decide. And they decide all sorts of weird things all the time.
The reason to vaccinate is the risk of your death or severe COVID-19. The risk of causing others to die or suffer (contagion) is unclear but the vaccine seems to reduce it somewhat.
For me the main reason not to vaccinate is what we don't know yet, the known risks of vaccinations are indeed smaller than the known risks of COVID-19. John Hopkins says there've been 137,5 million known COVID-19 cases and 448,5 million people with at least one dose, but the time we could collect data from vaccinated people is like 4 or 5 months and from COVID-19 patients is like 15 or 16 months.
Then you add your own assesment of chances of data being correctly collected, published and publicized so that it gets to you, and your own capability to understand it.
But you also need to take into account your own chances of getting SARS-CoV-2, fighting it or passing it along, depending on how you live and how do you plan to be able to keep living.

Whatever you do, try (or keep trying) to minimize contacts, stay away from people, wash hands, wear masks, avoid travel, etc. Even if you vaccinate, don't believe much in the vaccine. The virus is likely to break through it eventually and we are unlikely to be able to vaccinate the world population again and again faster than the virus can mutate and spread. And those measures stop other diseases too.

Last edited:
Mmm... so the media campaign against J&J and AZ was so that they could now publish that the EU is only going to buy from Pfizer and Moderna from 2022 ? Smells fishy but I can't tell (paywalled)

I want to be a good member of society and not sabotage the governments initiative - it's all we've got.
But I know that the government has rushed things and using twisted media, which makes me sick.
I'm now thinking I should get it because there is a good chance I won't be able to travel if I don't.
And so the coercion engine rolls on.

“We cannot, however, comment on contractual issues,” the spokesman added.
They cannot or they don't want to ? Do they even read the contracts before signing ? Because the taxpayers might want to.
And what about the other viral vaccines (from Russia, China or elsewhere)?

yeah, an issue is if we don't vaccinate fast enough, the virus will mutate and possibly break through. if it mutates slowly enough, we might be able to beat it, or we can do something like a flu shot every year. unless you're allergic to the stuff in vaccines (very rare), i'd recommend getting it.

the issue with J&J is actually giving decent governmental transparency (not sweeping anything under the rug). it's going to cause some vaccine hesitation and skepticism, of course, but it should actually be giving us confidence in the process. i'd be willing to get one of them J&J shots, but i've already started with another one.

the approvals were fast-tracked, but the trials and such were done correctly for each vaccine.

@netcat

I am not a doctor, but bloodclots can be minimized with small dosis of aspirine. But I have no idea if it is benefitial, because it is also a blood thinner (which, for some kind of people, makes things worse).

I'm not a doctor either, but I read here that aspirin can lead to bleeding more often than vaccines lead to clotting. And paracetamol, etc. Who knows ?

S'funny, some doctor on the TV was saying this pause to J&J vaccination was actually government in the clear and was going to reduce vaccine hesitation. Seemed an unusual claim in any case.

In other more positive news, I've got my appointment for my 1st vaccine drop in two weeks. Happy days!

the issue with J&J is actually giving decent governmental transparency (not sweeping anything under the rug). it's going to cause some vaccine hesitation and skepticism, of course, but it should actually be giving us confidence in the process.
The transparency would be achieved with reports, the most raw data available made public and press releases. I suppose they're already doing what they can.
Stopping vaccination because of a 1 in 1 million effect, that even if really caused by the vaccine would be still lower than the incidence in the general population does not give me confidence.
They can inform the public, stay carefully watching and analyzing and while numbers aren't higher let those who want and know the issue get the vaccine.
In my view this overreaction is just eroding confidence. Some may think things are worse than published and some that they are as published but the authorities are inept at interpreting it.
"Out of an abundace of caution" is one of the least reassuring euphemisms.
Others may think it's all an excuse to justifiy to voters the buying of other more expensive vaccines.
Now that they have announced/leaked/whatever the EU deal with Pfizer and Moderna, they can see what the public reaction is and once it's signed they can go back to vaccinate with J&J and AZ.
I'm not saying I'm sure the authorities are corrupt or incompetent, just that the look is more of FUD than confidence.
I only hear doctors calling to continue with the vaccines and the authorities pausing or stopping. Why?
I can understand politicians worried with opinion polls, but I would expect them to simply heed experts on these issues.
the approvals were fast-tracked, but the trials and such were done correctly for each vaccine.
Well, yes but we still don't know if you're going to stay with your new single eye on your hands or you're going to get one more every six months, do we ? I mean stereo sight around corners is fine and all, but if it keeps going on It could cost you a lot on glasses.
The point is not that the trials were wrong (OK, most were wrong if you care for contagion, but right about death/symptoms. Contagion was just too hard to assess and not given enough priority).
The point is that the trials were short and therefore the manufacturers are not giving any warranty. There was an urgency for that, no doubt.
But if one case in one million (J&J) or one case in 100000 (AZ) is cause for doubt , pause and DK is leaving AZ forever, then how come the trials where just around 20000-40000 people ?
I'm not saying that the trials should have been even bigger, I know Phase IV is there for a reason, just that the incoherency doesn't help.

I'm not a doctor either, but I read here that aspirin can lead to bleeding more often than vaccines lead to clotting. And paracetamol, etc. Who knows ?
I remember a story vaguely about someone injured on a boat who kept taking aspirin against the pain, but it would cause the bleeding to keep going as it wouldn't cloth and close the wound.

A doctor told me that the problem with the AZ vaccine is that for younger populations the risk of vaccine-related health problems, as low as it is, is not significantly different from the risk of COVID-19 related health problems.

It occurred to me, they found the clotting problem with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, because it happened to people it wasn't supposed to happen to, women with low platelet counts. How do they know whether or not clots in people at higher risk for clotting are vaccine related or not?

I ask because I'm a big sweaty fat guy with high cholesterol and at least an average number of platelets. I had one of the mRNA vaccines though, so I guess I'll be all right.

because it happened to people it wasn't supposed to happen to, women with low platelet counts. How do they know whether or not clots in people at higher risk for clotting are vaccine related or not?
You should be asking a qualified doctor that really.

Howevern you might like to (do your own) research why it appears most experts are -not- recommending that you take aspirin when having the vaccination, as some reports appear to go in to details regarding that.

You should be asking a qualified doctor that really.
Make sure that there is no conflict of interest though. Try to ask a doctor which would not get paid for having people take the vaccine. Otherwise it would be like asking a butcher to judge his own meat. Conflict of interest can make getting good advice tricky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back