Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Please stay safe, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on! I tell you the Netherlands is king in hydroponics, in growing stuff in midwinter (granted, winter tomatoes don't taste that good). Sure, we won't have avocado's or dragonfruit to eat, and bread will be scarce. But we will survive on potatoes, apples and cabbage! (and salads and cheese and milk and meat and fish and carrots, and when in season: asparragus and strawberries)
In fact one of my retirement dreams is to have this
Where in the densely populated cities are people going to grow that all stuff? If the supermarket go empty then people who have not prepped are going to starve. They won't be able to suddenly grow enough potatoes in the apartment to sustain them.

They won't be able to suddenly grow enough potatoes in the apartment to sustain them.

The article above is about 1 potato farmer that has 1.5 million kilograms of potatoes. Enough food for one day for the whole Dutch population.

Besides guerilla gardening, we also have huge terrains with food (you really need to get out of the city more often):

Granted, we will need more terrain to cultivate "quick" growing food, like lettuce, taughe, sterrenkers, etc. Which means less grassland for cows... and less milk derivates. But now, without restaurants that throw away an incredible amount of food, I think we could manage to be more efficient.

Last edited:
In the west a lot of govs have said, just maintain social distancing, that's great advise. BUT. in the real world, you pass someone in a supermarket aisle - max distance you can get from someone else is about 2 feet
In a chemist where the aisles are narrow, you are scrapping past people to get by. Same on a lot of footpaths - not possible to pass and maintain 6 feet without going on the road etc etc etc.
That's why I've stopped going to the supermarket, and have switched to home delivery for a while. I still go out to walk, but not anywhere as congested as a supermarket. It still remains to be shown how the delivery man will get the food to us, but we're currently planning for him to leave it on a step outside and we'll collect it then wash our hands.

(you really need to get out of the city more often):
No, that's not going to help. I've been out of the city a lot during vacations and it never taught me how much food the Netherlands can produce nor how much they would need to produce without import and export. I guess you could be right about the Netherlands still being able to provide their own food.

Granted, we will need more terrain to cultivate "quick" growing food, like lettuce, taughe, sterrenkers, etc. Which means less grassland for cows... and less milk derivates.
That's not a problem, pasteurised milk is not food anyway. But it's true that any country that produces meat and dairy could produce food more efficiently with regards to space by producing vegan foods instead. In fact meat eaters need more vegan foods in order to sustain themselves than vegans do. They just need it to be fed to their animals instead of eating it directly.

I wouldn't count on it, many thought this for all other events that happened before to.
Even with this happening people don't appear to vote for Sanders, who is clearly the most pro-healthcare.
But who knows what happens.
TrumpVsBiden_Ca_v01_KS_hpEmbed_17x12_608.jpg

It can swing to any direction, to soon to say, but these numbers don't show it's clear who will win yet.

The article above is about 1 potato farmer that has 1.5 million kilograms of potatoes. Enough food for one day for the whole Dutch population.
The dutch produce a lot of food, if they can sell something they do and they do it a lot.
Example:
netherlands.png

Netherlands is ~9 times smaller then Germany, the US is ~237 times bigger and China is ~231 times bigger then the Netherlands.

Last edited:
Apparently the virus can last for years in the freezer , so I'm wiping things before putting them in

Apparently the virus can last for years in the freezer , so I'm wiping things before putting them in
Everything that comes out of the freezer either goes into an oven at at least 180 degrees C or gets boiled or microwaves until it's at least 70 degrees hot. I guess we should be more careful on putting stuff out to defrost naturally, and washing our hands after going into the freezer.

But the academics say no-one should be forced to enrol - at least initially.

UK health chiefs have confirmed they are exploring the idea. "NHSX is looking at whether app-based solutions might be helpful in tracking and managing coronavirus, and we have assembled expertise from inside and outside the organisation to do this as rapidly as possible," said the tech-focused division's chief Matthew Gould. Instant alerts The study by the team at the University of Oxford's Big Data Institute and Nuffield Department of Population Health was published in the journal Science.

It proposes that an app would record people's GPS location data as they move about their daily lives. This would be supplemented by users scanning QR (quick response) codes posted to public amenities in places where a GPS signal is inadequate, as well as Bluetooth signals

I removed my rants. As @FBnil noted, I can put myself in a possibly bad situation, I'm an expert for that :^)
There's enough problems with the covid for me not to be even more annoyed by my own rants.
Anyway, I stopped reading the news because the next weeks will be no fun at all to watch.
I just check what happens around Paris because I'm a bit worried about riots.
Over the few people in the streets, so much are still not covering their nose and mouth I wonder if they know which kind of virus is visiting Paris.

Last edited:
Meanwhile in the US:

Fed just printing some extra virtual cash, compared to 2008 this appears to be going to be way more.
Fed BS MS.jpg

Side-news:
"The report said while tensions between Washington and Beijing have been escalating with both sides blaming each other for spreading the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the Trump administration has a plan to introduce new measures to further restrict global chip sales to Huawei."

Big brother started with the advent of CCTV. We're way beyond that now.

What concerns me is what is not written. For example, using the app to report others in the surrounding area.
As often, I find myself agreeing with Bruce Schneier on this one.

I just check what happens around Paris because I'm a bit worried about riots.
Why do you expect riots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back