Craigix, Free Units To Devs?

WizardStan said:
krosfyah said:
Code:
10 PRINT"I am a dev"
 20 GOTO 10
Can I have my free Pandora now?
You used goto. A real dev would know that you never, under any circumstance, ever use a goto, least of all the edge case where a goto actually makes sense. Simply not overengineered enough. No Pandora for you. Only velociraptors.

visibly microsoft think that goto are fine in nested loops:
It is good programming style to use the break, continue, and return statement in preference to goto whenever possible. Since the break statement only exits from one level of the loop, a goto may be necessary for exiting a loop from within a deeply nested loop.

=> msdn

maybe that explains lot of things... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
goto is entirely valid and useful, in the right cases; for anyone with a clue, they will note that things like 'while' loops are just special cases of goto internally anyway :)

Everything is a tool; onyl fools ignore tools at their disposal, but of course only fools use the wrong tool at the wrong time. Goto has its place (and not too damned often), but it can be used very well.

Anyone who says 'never use' something is nearly as bad as someone who says 'always use'; other end of the scale is just as bad :)

jeff

WizardStan is my hero of the day; "only velociraptors" is the best response to generalized questions :)

"Would you like a burger or fries with that?" "Only velociraptors!"

skeezix said:
goto is entirely valid and useful, in the right cases; for anyone with a clue, they will note that things like 'while' loops are just special cases of goto internally anyway :)

Everything is a tool; onyl fools ignore tools at their disposal, but of course only fools use the wrong tool at the wrong time. Goto has its place (and not too damned often), but it can be used very well.

Anyone who says 'never use' something is nearly as bad as someone who says 'always use'; other end of the scale is just as bad :)

jeff

WizardStan is my hero of the day; "only velociraptors" is the best response to generalized questions :)

"Would you like a burger or fries with that?" "Only velociraptors!"

lol, so true, I avoid goto as possible, but "no goto" people can't understand the beauty of proto-threads, duff's device and other algorythmic nightmares :)

I used goto today in fact, its perfectly valid. Well okay, I do driver development, there are times when you *have* to use a goto and have no other choice ..

XD, well, i believe those special 103 boards ones should be the ones given out first since i believe most of the pre-orderes wouldnt want a
smacked flash, if you pay you usually expect a 0 Kms ride!.

borgqueenx said:
give a free pandora to someone willing to make a DS emulator, a N64 emulator, a psp emulator:)

that sounds strange. I'm voting one free pandora for Ari, but then again, I'm not because every dev should buy their own unit - the dev fund should be used to pay back the money when some real progress has been shown and it should be given away by having a public poll.

conso said:
WizardStan said:
krosfyah said:
Code:
10 PRINT"I am a dev"
20 GOTO 10
You used goto. A real dev would know that you never, under any circumstance, ever use a goto, least of all the edge case where a goto actually makes sense. Simply not overengineered enough. No Pandora for you. Only velociraptors.
Yeah, come back when you managed to hide the same functionality in 200 pages of obscure code that nobody but you understands.
Never said he was a good dev ;)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
conso said:
WizardStan said:
krosfyah said:
Code:
10 PRINT"I am a dev"
20 GOTO 10
Yeah, come back when you managed to hide the same functionality in 200 pages of obscure code that nobody but you understands.
Never said he was a good dev ;)
oh cmon the use of goto doesnt have to be depicted so badly, what should be depicted is the "spaguetti"
goto is just another instruction and it should be used wisely.

if not would it be wise to badger against the nop instruction? just because "it wastes 1 cycle" doesnt it mean its useless

I didn't realise my amazing basic would create such a scandal.

Here I've revised my code snippet to reduce the chances of backlash..

Code:
GOSUB SuperAwesomeRoutineFullOfSkillfulCode

I should be chosen for a free pandora because my dynamic recompiler and its source are in hybernation state and therefore the touch screen of pandora is auto-mated.
Also, the battery of the XDDD device has megabubble reflexes and fits well with the dynamic recompiler(in terms of the bubbles ofcource).

I said enough, i think i convinced you all.

you all will get your free pandoras when theyre available at wallmart

torpor said:
10 print "I wanna waaah!"
20 gosub 10
30 rem boo-yah!
:eek:
That's even worse! Now your stack grows indefinitely, until it crashes the universe! Velociraptors for you, too!

borgqueenx said:
give a free pandora to someone willing to make a DS emulator, a N64 emulator, a psp emulator:)

God doesn't need a Pandora, he can will one into existence.

torpor said:
I used goto today in fact, its perfectly valid. Well okay, I do driver development, there are times when you *have* to use a goto and have no other choice ..

Well said.

I'm an IBM Z/OS High Level Assembler developer, and unconditional branches are used extensively, and with extreme prejudice in many programs.
Of course the comedy value is low in such modules, at least compared with the excellent BXLE back axle instruction and other fabulous bizarre examples.

Of course you need to be covered in marmite and dancing a jig before being allowed to use these "non-standard" instructions.....

:huh:

Exophase said:
borgqueenx said:

What could God do with a Pandora anyways...
I haven't seen a LISP compiler/interpreter for it yet.

Exophase said:
borgqueenx said:

You don't like to be quoted, but I left the context in. Sig-worthy :D

Gren said:
Well said.

I'm an IBM Z/OS High Level Assembler developer, and unconditional branches are used extensively, and with extreme prejudice in many programs.
Of course the comedy value is low in such modules, at least compared with the excellent BXLE back axle instruction and other fabulous bizarre examples.

Of course you need to be covered in marmite and dancing a jig before being allowed to use these "non-standard" instructions.....
For the record, you guys know I was joking when I said to never ever use goto, right? When I make what I think is an obvious joke which spawns serious discussion, I start to wonder if I wasn't obvious enough.

Back