Craigs sd card image as beginners startup download.

Very cool idea! I'd love to download this when I receive my Pandora. Also, I don't think it has to be a raw image, it can be only some kind of RAR or TAR archive so you can select the files you actually want to copy to your SD. That way, it would also help handling various SD cards sizes, by copying only the contents your card can contain.

http://pandorawiki.org/Top_10_apps

Please add to this - although it looks to be quite a challenge to pick the right apps to include without being too broad. I am not in a position to be able to judge who much help people need with this. Maybe later we can think about expanding the selection - using the appstore ratings maybe, but I think it is handy to have a 'install these first, then think about what you want'
If people think this is a useful idea, they need to contribute to it, otherwise it might get pruned...

hi,

on my page I offer to download a 2 GB ready to boot image (230 MB) for a sd-card.

the site is in german, but with google-translator at the top of the page you should get the idea.

sd-boot-card creation on windows-platform is simple:

- download image

- decompress it with 7-zip

- use usb-image-tool to write it on a 2GB sd-card

- put it in your pandora and test it

- if everything is ok, rename /boot.txt in /autoboot.txt

after first install, you can change the system to your needs and back it up with usb-image-tool.

if your original boot-sd-card fails, you will have a back up to write it on another one.

quite simple I think.

this system could be expanded to make 'custom-images', with different preinstalled games, toos and even localisation.

greetings

Last edited by a moderator:
we don't need pre built images, we need something like the Homebrew Browser for the wii...
The Pandora has even got a package manager - why don't we use it?

Why in first place were PNDs created? They are nice, but you have to manually update and search them - a package manager like opkg can update every installed package with one command, and it can install a package with one command, without searching it on the internet first (if it's in the repositorys).

That way someone has to write a package manager for PNDs, why didn't we use just opkg?

Edit: Quote inserted

I think, the idea was, that people put an sd-card in, turn on the pandora, and start to play.

without wlan-hassel, terminal-shells and so on.

greetings

I think, the idea was, that people put an sd-card in, turn on the pandora, and start to play.

without wlan-hassel, terminal-shells and so on.

greetings
I can see the appeal for the DSi crowd. Shame to not have to use the cli once in a while. :p

After all the Pandora is not than just games machine.

Still, I'm lazy. Bring it on.

The Pandora has even got a package manager - why don't we use it?
Because classic package management systems and removable media don't fit together. Especially the Debian package system, which is what ipkg/opkg is actually based on, is a very strict system, it is rock solid but if you break something things can get *really* dirty.

If there is suddenly no SD card in slot 1 anymore where some stuff was installed to or the card was simply replaced and the old stuff isn't there anymore... RAMPAGE!

...And unlike opkg the PND system doesn't touch the NAND.

^ In addition to what Letalis Sonus says, you also *CANNOT* ever assume that a portable device will always have internet access, either. :p I like a good package manager as much as the next guy, but I also think that the PND system does its job excellently.

You can get around the problem of missing dependencies by simply not having any. All PND files are supposed to be self contained, so in this regard it isn't a problem if one "disappears". It simply assumes that it'll be back.

However, what happens if your card goes corrupt and you really do lose everything? Gotta hack in a feature to reget everything you had before... but what if you're using multiple SD cards? What if some of them even have the same name? What if there was an update you couldn't wait to find a wifi spot to download, so you updated it manually? The package manager will see the new update the next time you reconnect and try to download it anyway.

And the list of hacks that would need to go in goes on. By the time you're done modifying an existing package management system, you may as well have written your own from scratch.

As much as I love package managers, I can definitely see the problems in regards to a largely removable-media only device. I figure, all the Pandora needs is very simple, straight-forward access to an "appstore" sort of central repository of PND files. Given how they work, with local storage for user settings, upgrading to a new version of an app should be as simple as replacing the PND, correct? If so, perhaps a "light" equivalent of a package manager would do the job - just connecting to a central repo, checking versions of PND's in the local folders vs. the online equivalents and offering upgrades, as well as an easily browsable interface and you're golden.

No need to collect dependencies or worry about much of anything else. Should be pretty simple, no?

I know i mentioned a startup user download before.But i feel strongly that this is important for the pandora as im quite passionate about the pandora.Craigixs sd card image for reviews(see other thread)could be used as a beginners startup download.It could be ammended over time

until its perfect.I think this would be very good for the pandora.(I started a new thread cos i wanted to highlight this idea)Your thoughts would be welcome. :)Some people suggested this in the other thread also,so i think people are interested in this idea.

Hi

Now I think this a really good idea :)

See here if you haven't Cas, as its the closest this idea has got so far

There's a couple of seeds at present.

In addition on page 2 of that thread is a link to a 2gb pack of Gp2x files by Hooka that is perfect for use with Ginge.

Other than that it's headcrashs' SD OS image that he mentioned earlier in this thread and no one commented upon, that's here http://www.pandora-power.net/sdwindows.html

Ed has been making this card. It's 8GB! (but will be smaller when the ROMs etc. are removed).

Ed has been making this card. It's 8GB! (but will be smaller when the ROMs etc. are removed).
I was going to start a thread about this again but its just got gravedug.So What i want is a user download that contains only software that fully works and is optimised for pandora.For example.Panplayer as default video player.Maybe audaicious as music player etc.Is this the sort of thing ed is doing?If it was on the appstore as pandora getting started.
The user has several categories eg mediaplayer,musicplayers emulators e readers,browsers etc.Only fully working software included.They select the relevant program from each category and then click download.I truly think we need to give users a smooth instant fix with programs that immediately harness the various capabilities of the pandora.Its cool to have plenty of choice but many people are used to devices that just work with ease.They would have their pandora up and running in no time and could experiment with other software later if they wanted.Or are you planning on supplying an sd card with future pandora orders.When stuff just works on the pandora its really cool.Panplayer audacious and firefox are my preferences.Sorry for the rant but i feel a smooth software experience should be available as soon as possible because i believe strongly that this will

help with sales of the pandora :)

Back