Craigx Does It Again...

Does the battery heat up significantly during charging? Would that exacerbate a weak spot?

Asmo said:
Does the battery heat up significantly during charging? Would that exacerbate a weak spot?

Nope. It's just a small dull under the sticker in the battery compartment.
If the battery would heat up enough to melt the plastic, I wouldn't want to touch the unit :D

Last edited:
i fear the chinese company has other orders from bigger companies they want to produce first. so by saying they found another little thing they need to fix, they're just play for time before they put us on production line.

dupey said:
i fear the chinese company has other orders from bigger companies they want to produce first. so by saying they found another little thing they need to fix, they're just play for time before they put us on production line.

No, they talked about this already when they shipped the Rev3 samples.

Last edited:
WizardStan said:
zohnnyg said:
i know everyone will disagree but why not just go ahead and fix it? instead of having a flaw. better to fix it than not to. what if some unforeseen problem comes from it in the future? might not seem like it now but you never know. theres nothing wrong with one more revision.
Because there will ALWAYS be something to fix. Perfection is impossible. They will fix this thing, and another small thing will be noted. And then another, and another, and forever you will be tweaking.
Eventually you have to say "that's it, no more tweaks, it is good enough."
Apparently that day is today.

To be honest, I'm in agreement with zohnnyg here especially as it's the manufacturers who have pointed this flaw out themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care, if the flaw is really that bad, I'll buy a fixed case later!
(or even try to make one myself, just remembered that the father of my girlfriend work on really big CNC machine)

Well I'd of course rather have it fixed but you've got to now weigh it up with how long it'll take. If asking them to fix this is going to trigger another revision that has to be approved by Mweston AND it's only cosmetic (not on the outside) and presents no structural problems with the strength of the case then don't bother trying to fix it. If however the company has identified it and are confident that it'll only take them a day or two before they gear up for MP, then let them do it.

It seems a minor issue but we might as well let them fix it, if it's not going to cost us a week in time, but a few days.

Just out of curiosity, Li-polymer batteries swell during use, So is there any possibility that the
weak area of the case would flex/warp during the swelling of the battery. Worse case (no pun), Would
it swell enough (the weak point) to in anyway damage/crack the Pandora`s circuit board/motherboard
situated above that area ?.

I don`t want to cause a panic, But i am very curious.

Trooper

EvilDragon said:
Nope. It's just a small dull under the sticker in the battery compartment.

The only issue is a miscoloration of the plastic, covered by a sticker, hidden by a battery and invisible because of the battery cover?

Just making sure.

Ok so now we know the cases are still going ahead what's a reasonable time frame for them to finish the 10,000 cases and ship them to the USA? Was hoping I'd have my Pandora by my birthday on march 7th but they'll never ship them by then :(

My birthday is also March 7th!!!! but i did not really expect my pandora by then (kinda hoped but) I thought end of march/ April was more realistic

roberthoward45 said:
My birthday is also March 7th!!!! but i did not really expect my pandora by then (kinda hoped but) I thought end of march/ April was more realistic
5 days after you. Must be the date the pandora will arrive.

@trooper: if your LiPo swells in use or being charged then it's being abused, all my flight packs are LiPo, and charged with the correct charger and discharged at the correct rates they do not swell, if they do (called "ballooning" in model aircraft circles) then you have exceeded the charge or discharge rate/level, or overheated the pack, and the battery will die soon or have a massively reduced life/capacity.

swollen packs are a fire hazard BTW, the chemistry is unstable at that point and they may catch fire or explode, LiPo's should NEVER go below 3v per cell, and should NEVER be charged with an unapproved charger, charging a LiPo at too high a rate can cause it to spontaneously combust, same for discharging, drawing too much current can cause it to catch fire, LiPo fires are an oxidiser fire, so they are hard to put out, burn underwater like a divers flare, some people have had exactly this problem when chasing performance with model aircraft, at some point it gets pushed too far and several hundred pounds worth of airframe and electronics go up in smoke.

heli pack fire

crash starts battery fire

wrong charger setting

and some good advice from the modelling community, remember that the packs used in model aircraft have no protection circuitry such as is fitted to the Pandoras pack, but the same basic principles apply, if for no other reason that it's gonna be a pain being without your battery while you wait for the replacement to arrive.

guide to using high energy LiPo's

wrath of khan said:
Yep as long as there is no structural problems and it is only cosmetic and is covered by battery,
then it doesent matter.I say rock and roll

And how do you know if there are structural problems unless you ask them to make a few samples and test them.
Did the last samples have this issue, or is it only apparent in long runs? Were the Pandoras built from the samples subject to thorough stress tests? It seems almost impossible in the short time between samples arrival and green light.

Do we have a "born in early March" club now? Can I join?

Anyhow, I'm pretty relaxed about the whole thing. I don't really care whether I have my Pandora on the 1st, the 15th or the 28th of March. Or in April. I'll just file it as a birthday present that took really long to arrive.

aq21 said:
wrath of khan said:
Yep as long as there is no structural problems and it is only cosmetic and is covered by battery,
then it doesent matter.I say rock and roll

And how do you know if there are structural problems unless you ask them to make a few samples and test them.
Did the last samples have this issue, or is it only apparent in long runs? Were the Pandoras built from the samples subject to thorough stress tests? It seems almost impossible in the short time between samples arrival and green light.
Evil dragon said in an earlier post that this was known about in the 3rd case revision
It is covered by the battery and a sticker.We shall truly know when the first cases roll off the line and are assembled.

i think they'll opt to fix it. as painful as that is, i reckon it's probably the right thing to do.
especially as its a problem the factory have identified themselves.

hobbyman II said:
@trooper: if your LiPo swells in use or being charged then it's being abused, all my flight packs are LiPo, and charged with the correct charger and discharged at the correct rates they do not swell, if they do (called "ballooning" in model aircraft circles) then you have exceeded the charge or discharge rate/level, or overheated the pack, and the battery will die soon or have a massively reduced life/capacity.

swollen packs are a fire hazard BTW, the chemistry is unstable at that point and they may catch fire or explode, LiPo's should NEVER go below 3v per cell, and should NEVER be charged with an unapproved charger, charging a LiPo at too high a rate can cause it to spontaneously combust, same for discharging, drawing too much current can cause it to catch fire, LiPo fires are an oxidiser fire, so they are hard to put out, burn underwater like a divers flare, some people have had exactly this problem when chasing performance with model aircraft, at some point it gets pushed too far and several hundred pounds worth of airframe and electronics go up in smoke.

heli pack fire

crash starts battery fire

wrong charger setting

and some good advice from the modelling community, remember that the packs used in model aircraft have no protection circuitry such as is fitted to the Pandoras pack, but the same basic principles apply, if for no other reason that it's gonna be a pain being without your battery while you wait for the replacement to arrive.

guide to using high energy LiPo's
Sweet. I've always wanted a fire hazard, and now with my pandora I'll finally get one! :)

Back