GP32 Creating A New Game-console. Homebrew Project

I do think something along the lines of a modified SNES controller or somethign would work, then you would have all of the buttons etc, for pretty cheap

no point. all it would need to be is 2 contacts close together on the board, it's the way most home games controls are made.

if you need some buttons for the project, i've got a small selection of them from hacked/broken console controls (including d pads) if you need them for the prototype?

all.jpg

the best set (with shoulder Buttons!)
best.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my two cents...

Jens @ http://www.jschoenfeld.de did a nice job building small amounts of sophisticated hardware for Amiga/C64, e.g. the C-1 or the Retro-Replay (the last only had a first production run of 100 pieces and still was sold for only 50€). I met him once personally and he's a real clever guy who could help us with the soldering/case-problems.

I think the biggest problem will the numbers of sold units, because you'll only get low price for the components when you'll order >1000 pieces... :( So, maybe Jens could help us getting cheaper hardware-components, since it seems he knows how to get them CHEAP.

Okay, i registered at Samsung site to get more material, in the hope of getting a s3c2440 chip layout, ready to use with Eagle. But damm, Samsung devvelopers secret site, offers Nothing.

Iam using this layout Programm to develop the board:
http://www.cadsoft.de/
Its Named eagle, and its Free for some Basic work, lets see if i need the missing features.

Samsung offers an BSDL File to create the s3c2440 Chip layout.
Eagle offers a BSDL import Filter, to create a new Library.

nice nice ...

Iam playing some hours with the Import Filter, but the resulting chiplayout is completely wrong.
So the chip case must be edit by hand :(
To do so, i dl and printing out the Handbook of eagle.

So if someone wants to help with layout of pcb, iam now creating the chip case, 300pins, some work ....

...as far as money goes, maybe something like http://www.fundable.org/ could get the ball rolling.
I think this is an excellent way raise money to cover development costs for a project like this. If a solid design and realistic specifications can be made (keep it simple I say B)) then there could be a lot of interest in this from many online communites.

I don't know about CPU costs, but LCD's certainly aren't cheap from most electronics suppliers, even in bulk. It might be possible to get a free "sample" of an LCD direct from a manufacturer...depends.

Almost any LCD could be used while developing the hardware though (GP32's even). Other than finalising the layout of the PCB a lot of LCD's are interchangable (at least in respect to having similar inputs - just not necessarily in the same order/timings/power specs).

I'm sure I remember Eagle coming with some Samsung chip layouts as standard AND in different packaging's. Maybe I'm wrong...

Hi, this sounds really awesome, i would definantly buy one and also help the project best i can :)
for specs.. just very basics, since i dont know much about all this things.
CPU: arround 400Mhz
RAM: 64 - 128 MB
LCD: a gp32 like would be enough for me, i dont need VGA
that would be enough for me.
a touchscreen would be nice for a linux port.. but not a must have for me.
for such a nice machine i would pay up to 250€ especially if it has a touchscreen.

Interesting.. i wish you luck!
It will be very strange indeed if this suceeds and we have a new community entirely created from itself...
If it could do excellent snes and gba emulation... I'd pay around $300 for it...

Sounds like a great idea!!

I was just wondering if it would be possible to make it compatable with the GP32. That way it wouldn't matter if we used the GP32's case and screen, since all the existing stuff would run. It would mean that everything would be a lot cheaper and some of the cost saved could be spent on more powerful processors etc...

I was just wondering if it would be possible to make it compatable with the GP32. That way it wouldn't matter if we used the GP32's case and screen, since all the existing stuff would run. It would mean that everything would be a lot cheaper and some of the cost saved could be spent on more powerful processors etc...

The s3c2440 chip is not gp32 compatible, so old Software can not run on it out of the box. But it is 99% compatible, its using the same cpu core. Only some registers are at other places.
It is possible to use gp32 sourcecode, change some lines, and recompile it, with the new CPU as target. If you are using a free SDK (*smile*), it would be possible to only recompile your old stuff, and it should run on the new hardware. So only a rewritten SDK is needed, to fit the new chip.

hmm

I just found thid on KellySearch

Experienced Vacuum Forming company with facility to produce formings up to 3600 x 1800 mm. Cad design, patternmaking, prototyping. Volume production catered for with processing and assembly. Press Moulding, Hot Wire Bending, ultrasonic welding, pad printing, sceen printing, Blown Domes. CNC Routering 3000 x 2000 mm.

this is a company that will vacuum form cases from a CAD design

although it would prolly be a lot more expensice (£10ish per unit[guess]) it would make the whole thing look remarkably impressive

Mr Mirko, ich bitte dich, macht es wie du willst!!!!!

This is more exciting than any psp news etc, and if ED and Craig are on board, then....

I'll put on a charity concert, sell my Baby for science, just please let not this fall!!! And let's have our goals as to what we will want to run on it! Backwards compatibility is all very nice, but we all have GP32s, we want to have new experiences, emulate new machines etc.

I would go for either a new case, or a remodeled retro look. But I think the idea of buying old units to open up isn't practicle!

But I'm no expert, just wanna stand at the sides and cheers you all on!

It would be great if we could use a lcd with 480x360 res. But then we cant run gp32 software in fullscreen without the blurry look. And I dont think there is 640x480 screens that are 4". If we use screens that are larger than 4" then it would drain too much batteries. But maybe 320x240 is better for emulation... i dont know.

The s3c2440 chip is not gp32 compatible, so old Software can not run on it out of the box. But it is 99% compatible, its using the same cpu core. Only some registers are at other places.
It is possible to use gp32 sourcecode, change some lines, and recompile it, with the new CPU as target. If you are using a free SDK (*smile*), it would be possible to only recompile your old stuff, and it should run on the new hardware. So only a rewritten SDK is needed, to fit the new chip.

If the chip is 99% compatable, would it be easy to make a GP32 emu using the same principles as the GBA emu that mapped various things in memory to other places? Or would it just be a huge pain?

hehe very nice indeed :)

Lets give this project a name ;) the name mentioned before sounds cool :p Expedio....
But somehow the name and the design reminds me of the gizmondo xD

Hey

I just had an idea

has anyone thought about contacting gamepark

maybe for funding or development help?

I know they take ages to reply, but it's worth a bash is it not?

The chip is getting cooler and cooler.

LINUX is already running on this chip,
QTOPIA has already been ported to this chip !!!

http://www.arm.co.kr/solution/1__s09.php

http://www.trolltech.com/screenshots/qtopia.html
OK, so it´s decided. We need touchscreen.

¢¹A/D Converter & Touch Screen Interface
8-ch multiplexed ADC
Max. 500KSPS and 10-bit Resolution
Internal FET for direct Touch screen interface

Qtopia looks impressive, on which devices does it run normally? I never heard of it before... :unsure:

this gets more and more intresting... qtopia or opie running on it would be awesome, then it must have a touchscreen ;).
hehe if we get this working it would be the ultimate homebrew PDA and Gaming Device.

PS: what about a tv/vga out? i dont really need it, but it would be nice to use it while your home ;)

Back