Dear Pandora Team

craigix said:
Ahaha wait until we get the thing done first! There is so much going on right now that it is exceptionally stressful for all involved.

We just have to keep pushing everything forward and hoping for no disasters along the way.

The 'Pandora Story' is going to make an interesting read once all this is complete!
What was that a reply to!? The question about shipping on near the 30th Nov?!
From the lack of no 'delay' posts that the Pandora is still on track for a late November roll out Craig? Also is the Unit Zod receiving the final board also come with the final controls?
If so would this mean that all the final components will be in your hands this week, or have I got carried away there? lol

:D
Any small info greatfully appreicated!

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
gibberish said:
[...] november the 31st of november [...]
Kind of redundant, isn't it?

Yeah, especially if one knows that november only has 30 days ...
Strange nobody noticed.

CONGRATS to the devs and the pandora team !!!!

Chero.

God Ginrai said:
shipping is supposedly november 30th, although i doubt we'll have it much before the new year.

Where did anyone from the team say that? I remember the 30th being given as an estimate as to when we might recieve our Pandoras in the mail. (And that was a long time ago)

-God Ginrai

It's been said several times, and states somewhere on the official website (if I remember correctly) that 'shipping will begin at the end of November', that's it all goes to plan. That means that if there are no delays then the first units will be dispatched around the end of November. I'd be surprised if they managed to ship more than a couple of hundred units a day, so that means shipping could go into mid-December. With the last units arriving at their destination around Christmas time.

Pleng said:
God Ginrai said:
shipping is supposedly november 30th, although i doubt we'll have it much before the new year.

Where did anyone from the team say that? I remember the 30th being given as an estimate as to when we might recieve our Pandoras in the mail. (And that was a long time ago)

-God Ginrai

It's been said several times, and states somewhere on the official website (if I remember correctly) that 'shipping will begin at the end of November', that's it all goes to plan. That means that if there are no delays then the first units will be dispatched around the end of November. I'd be surprised if they managed to ship more than a couple of hundred units a day, so that means shipping could go into mid-December. With the last units arriving at their destination around Christmas time.

Estimated dates shouldn't be taken too accurately. They are rough guesses with a little margin of safety. As Craig and ED said, it depends on the parts suppliers.
And considering, that it is their first project in this ballpark, there is no big experience.
I guess, that the case is the crucial component. The quality-control is very important(I worked in such a facility, when I was a student) and there have to be sent some samples from china to europe, to make sure, everything fits nicely.
As long as there is no blog post with the final case, we can assume, that assembly hasn't started yet.
I think, from the case blog post two to four weeks further will be the delivery of the first consumer devices.

you have to be realistic about it.
"the end of november" is just a month away.

to date we have:

a proposed final PCB with nubs on
an unfinished GUI
a rough protoype case

and thats it.
you really think they'll get everything finished in a months time? im doubtful. assume you'll have it by january and if it comes before then you can be happy.

im not trying to be negative, just realistic. i dont mind waiting until january, obviously id love to have it before then but there is still a shed load of work to be done and we'd need a miracle to see it all finished inside a month imo.

edit: oh yeah and im an idiot for saying the 31st of november lol. i even sang the stupid song in my head before i typed it and still got it wrong.

I also am hoping to get it before Christmas and I find myself on these boards many times a day and like all of you, can be impatient but I would rather wait and have them take their time and make sure it's right the first time.....tested as much as needed, etc.........they must not rush it.

Good work guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait, especially for MAME on Pandora :)

craigix said:
It's pretty stressful stuff.
The fact the pound is at a five year low against the dollar can't be helping, since Craig is UK based, right? And most electronics from China, presumably, is going to be priced in dollars.

I add another to that :)

You guys have made my dream come true, in fact the first idea I had was in 5th grade and it was hardly anything of what this thing is now :)

I can't wait for it to come, I even ordered a Polo shirt from gp2x.de or w/e.

mali said:
Pleng said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

Estimated dates shouldn't be taken too accurately. They are rough guesses with a little margin of safety. As Craig and ED said, it depends on the parts suppliers.
And considering, that it is their first project in this ballpark, there is no big experience.
I guess, that the case is the crucial component. The quality-control is very important(I worked in such a facility, when I was a student) and there have to be sent some samples from china to europe, to make sure, everything fits nicely.
As long as there is no blog post with the final case, we can assume, that assembly hasn't started yet.
I think, from the case blog post two to four weeks further will be the delivery of the first consumer devices.

so, i can look forward to most likely adding another failed date to my sig? reminds me of the "if Pandora were a car, this is how the sale would go" topic. plan a failsafe date, at least then we'll be wowed if it arrives before instead of unhappy if it isn't. If this is true, the preorder should've been later too. but i'm going on info kicked about on forums, it could be true that november 30th is a failsafe date. nothing is certain, anyway...

if we have it in time for christmas, then that won't totally suck. i'm presuming the OS is mostly done and they're holding off showing it to us until they have a working 100% prototype console. boards are fun, but not quite what a consumer is waiting for. ^^

gibberish said:
to date we have:

an unfinished GUI
a rough protoype case

and thats it.
you really think they'll get everything finished in a months time? im doubtful. assume you'll have it by january and if it comes before then you can be happy.

im not trying to be negative, just realistic. i dont mind waiting until january, obviously id love to have it before then but there is still a shed load of work to be done and we'd need a miracle to see it all finished inside a month imo.

edit: oh yeah and im an idiot for saying the 31st of november lol. i even sang the stupid song in my head before i typed it and still got it wrong.

PCB + nubs, you are right.
Screen and battery are off the shelf parts, so let's say they are available. The screen ribbon is a custom part.
The GUI is fairly finished except some cosmetics.
The case/buttons are missing, yet.

If the case is finished soon, end of November is still an option :)

dadioflex said:
craigix said:
It's pretty stressful stuff.
The fact the pound is at a five year low against the dollar can't be helping, since Craig is UK based, right? And most electronics from China, presumably, is going to be priced in dollars.

I would imagine that this sucks big time - for a small company FX changes this large can easily make the difference between making a healthy profit and... well not. Hopefully Craig had either paid for most of the items prior to last Friday or in preparation for paying for items in dollars had already converted most of the pre-order cash to $.

On the other hand, finished articles when sold abroad will bring more £ home, but I doubt that will offset the pain completely.

Was in Paris at the weekend, and everything is mighty expensive for us Brits when there is near £ to E parity. Now we know how the septics have felt in London for the last year or so.

mali said:
gibberish said:
to date we have:

an unfinished GUI
a rough protoype case

and thats it.

PCB + nubs, you are right.
Screen and battery are off the shelf parts, so let's say they are available. The screen ribbon is a custom part.
The GUI is fairly finished except some cosmetics.
The case/buttons are missing, yet.

If the case is finished soon, end of November is still an option :)

Yah dude, a month is plenty of time to accomplish that. Depending on what process is used to make the cases & buttons that should only take a few days, they can really crank stuff like that out. Shipping time for all the separate parts is a more likely cause of delay imo. Does anyone know where the final assembly is taking place & who is doing it?

Back