Debian In An Extend

i have the 1gb debian extend and i have mounted it with mount debian extend and located the extend ,what do i do next lol sorry i am soo new to this stuff.

can i just apt get install from here in the terminal ,or does this extend not already have synaptics.

paddy said:
i have the 1gb debian extend and i have mounted it with mount debian extend and located the extend ,what do i do next lol sorry i am soo new to this stuff.

The terminal window that pops up... is Debian! Try running 'synaptic' from there and install stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should have a Terminal up ( with the name Debian Extend )
Type: synaptic
That's the package manager so go about installing stuff!
Unfortunately, stuff you install will not show up in the XFCE menu ( I'm sure it can be done though! ), so you'll need to run it from that Terminal you have open.

That's twice now, SomeGuy!

No terminal appeared ,i was expecting it to honest as i was reading through but nothing happened ,i am rebooting as my sd was swapped around so mabe this is the problem.

Nope tried to mount again after reboot ,it mounts but nothing happens.

Sounds like a failed mount.
Quick and easy way would be to restart the Pandora and try again.
If you're feeling brave, however!
Open up a Terminal.
Type: mount
With any luck you should see a bunch of mounts to /tmp/debextend .. if you don't, check to see what the last /dev/loop# is and if it's a high number ( think it's 7 ) then you'll have to reboot as some PNDs have unmounted badly and stolen the slots.

One thing I'm not hugely fond about with the PND thing is it's a bit hard to get a fail log as to why the PND's failed to do what you think it's supposed to do! Unless I missed it, somewhere?

paddy said:
no terminal appeared ,i was expecting it to honest as i was reading through but nothing happened.

For me it appeared and dissapeared, and I had to reboot. On rebooting the whole thing worked.

I didn't mention it because I thought it was just me.

Edit: Ninjaed!

Thoughts on the front-end Stuckie?

Which version of Ubuntu are you working with? Will we get all the nice stuff in there like the Software browser, or will that only work for x86 repo?

pandora:~$ mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
ubi0:rootfs on / type ubifs (rw,bulk_read)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /mnt/.splash type tmpfs (rw,size=40k)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
tmpfs on /var/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,mode=777)
tmpfs on /media/ram type tmpfs (rw)
ubi1:boot on /boot type ubifs (rw)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/mmcblk0p1 type vfat (rw,sync,noatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1)
pandora:~$

when i got my card ready ,i formatted it and renamed it from the old default name the card usualy has ,could this be the problem.

this was after a reboot and mounting again

just rebooted again after using unmount from dev-tools but still nothing happens and when i look at mount in the terminal it's the same as before.

That hasn't mounted at all.. interesting.

I've updated extendutils now so it creates a symlink back to Angstrom in Debian's root, and symlinks the /media folder as well so you can access your SD cards more easily. http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/SimpleDev/extendutils.pnd
I've also uploaded the 4Gb Extend: http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/SimpleDev/debian-sid-synaptic.4GbExtend.zip
The 2Gb is here as well: http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/SimpleDev/debian-sid-synaptic.2GbExtend.zip

As for Paddy.. I'm at a bit of a loss here.. other than attempting it manually and seeing what's failing:
mkdir /tmp/debextend
sudo mount -o loop /media/mmcblk0p1/debian-sid.extend /tmp/debextend ( this is a wild guess as to where the extend file is! you'll need to modify it a bit )
If that works, you'll need to bind the system bits up:
sudo mount -o bind /dev /tmp/debextend/dev
sudo mount -o bind /dev/pts /tmp/debextend/dev/pts
sudo mount -o bind /dev/shm /tmp/debextend/dev/shm
sudo mount -o bind /proc /tmp/debextend/proc
sudo mount -o bind /proc/bus/usb /tmp/debextend/proc/bus/usb
sudo mount -o bind /sys /tmp/debextend/sys
sudo mount -o bind /tmp /tmp/debextend/tmp

Probably want to do these as well.. the script does it now, but if that's not working for you...
sudo ln -s / /tmp/debextend/Angstrom
sudo rm -rf /tmp/debextend/media ( only need to do this once )
sudo ln -s /media /tmp/debextend/media

Then do:
sudo xhost local:localhost

Finally:
sudo chroot /tmp/debextend /bin/bash

If any of that fails, let me know what the output is! :)

[edit]
But I won't be replying till the morning.. tis 1am and I have work in the morning! Sorry! Hopefully it's a simple fix though and someone else can step in :)
[/edit]

ok got it working ,i had to unmount and move the extend to the root of my card and then it mounted with the prompts :) downloading/installing Amsn just now ,i guess you can't see this stuff in the menu so you need to run it from the terminal ,only when the extend is mounted ? how would i know what to type into the terminal for each software install ,just the main name of the software like /terminal amsn

Stuckie said:
I've updated extendutils now so it creates a symlink back to Angstrom in Debian's root, and symlinks the /media folder as well so you can access your SD cards more easily.

/media = "too many levels of symbolic link"
/Angstrom/media = "too many levels of symbolic link"

:lol:

Hey, we're all UK guys then.

Bahh.. ok try again.. using a mount -o bind this time, that's what I get for just assuming things work! ( didn't test this either actually.. *cough* )
http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/SimpleDev/extendutils.pnd

Also woo for getting the extend to work, paddy! :)
I've always had the extend files in the root of my SD, so never had a problem like that.

And yes, I'm a somewhat insane Scotsman running about Liverpool just now ;)

[edit]
BAHH I give up.. going to bed.. tiredness is obviously affecting my ability to hit keys in the right order! ;)
[/edit]

I notice the contents of /Angstrom/usr/bin are... the same as Debian? Did you symlink Debian to itself? LOL.

Still getting the same problems with the last pnd.

Sick sick (heroic awesome) man :)

Aside and irrelevent: You know, you could just slap Debian onto SD, and use the pandora kernel, and just boot it ;) No one says you have to chroot run it, but so totally awesome to do so :)

I don't think I've seen anyone put this much abuse onto a union filesystem before; you sir, are a giant among.. those who live in island empires polotting to overthrow the world :)

jeff

skeezix said:
Sick sick (heroic awesome) man :)

Aside and irrelevent: You know, you could just slap Debian onto SD, and use the pandora kernel, and just boot it ;) No one says you have to chroot run it, but so totally awesome to do so :)

I don't think I've seen anyone put this much abuse onto a union filesystem before; you sir, are a giant among.. those who live in island empires polotting to overthrow the world :)

jeff

I can give you one good reason why I prefer this: Copying a linux filesystem to an SD card takes hours, because of all the tiny files. It takes even longer on the Pandora itself... it was still running overnight!

Am I an evil henchman then?

installed a few bits but how the hell do i run this man ,gotta tell please

is it via terminal but what do i type(this must make me look stupid as muck)

iv installed amsn and gnu paint.

paddy said:

Type something like 'apropos paint' and it should give you the command to run eg. Gnu Paint.

I want screenshots of this :D

Of course you're not stupid. It's only easy when you know the answer, as Chris Tarrent says B)

SomeGuy99 said:
I notice the contents of /Angstrom/usr/bin are... the same as Debian? Did you symlink Debian to itself? LOL.

Still getting the same problems with the last pnd.

Yep.. I symlinked to / .. which is great because as soon as you chroot, / obviously changes... *cough*
It's fixed now. I had actually fixed it with the last PND, you must've grabbed it a bit too quick while I was uploading.
Lack of sleep is bad, mmkay?

Oh and as for the GUI mock-up, could you perhaps annotate it to what some parts should be?
I've a feeling the top bit is essentially for your "main" extend which you'll be writing to, and the bottom bit, is that for daisy-chaining all of them together as Read-Only? That could be interesting.. it's definitely possible, but the problem is every extend file takes up a /dev/loop! and so does a PND! so you can quickly run out of them, unless you extract the Extend file onto a Linux compatible file system, and link that in. No /dev/loop is taken up, and it'll work the same, just be a bit "messier."

paddy said:

As I said, nothing'll appear in your XFCE menus for the moment.. there's probably a sneaky way of doing this, but for the time being, you're going to have to run stuff from the Terminal. It is a quick and dodgy hack after all! ;)

GizmoTheGreen said:
couldnt you just DD one of the xtendfiles to the sd's partition. then its done
and add a boot.txt ofcourse

Probably.
Feel free to try it :)
The method with the extend files is nice for mucking around, but I agree if you want to do it "properly" you should install it to an SD card. Or NAND.. if you're that way inclined. Those aren't as much fun as abusing the tools we have, though ;)

Oh and for SomeGuy:
gpaint.png

Seems to be a LOT more responsive than GIMP.. may need to have a look at PNDing this one up for Angstrom consumption!
Though the "toolbars" are annoying.. do they really have to be that big?!

Also... adding the contrib and non-free sections ( in Sid anyway ) balloons the package list up a bit to 28697, so that's an extra 400-odd packages :)
To do this, in Synaptic go to: Settings=>Repositories. Select your repository and in the Section(s) box add: contrib non-free
Hit Ok and click Reload.

You guys are all crazy ! And I like it !

Have to try this when I get home this evening ...

Have fun,
Chero.

This is pretty significant .. you've really opened the box, Stuckie! :)

But, please set it up as a normal .PND so "Debian for Pandora" is just another application on the menu. :p

Back