Decent Gameboy Emulator Yet?

I don´t know what´s your problem, the scaling works nice...
But this quickscale button just does the two scaling options you guys mentioned in this thread.
If you set the scaling in the emu options, it works fine, but accidentialy hitting this quickscale button
brings you right back to either the overscaled- or the "waterglass" scale mode.
So you have to go right back to the menue and reset your scaling settings.
I would be happy if the "button scales screen" option would be removed
or mapped on a button you wont accidentialy hit in future versions of this emulator.

nabz32x said:
But this quickscale button just does the two scaling options you guys mentioned in this thread.
If you set the scaling in the emu options, it works fine, but accidentialy hitting this quickscale button
or mapped on a button you wont accidentialy hit in future versions of this emulator.

Well said, I'm forever hitting the 'quickscale' button by mistake.
Perhaps we could have the option to map keys on the next release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neil L said:
nabz32x said:

Well said, I'm forever hitting the 'quickscale' button by mistake.
Perhaps we could have the option to map keys on the next release.

Look at the config file, buttons can be changed, this came up somewhere already

What about speed-up? I've recently taken to playing Pokemon: Crystal on my PC, and I have (ab)used the speed button to speed up to 4x speed. Is this possible on the wiz?

The quickscale button apparently was an error, but as Pickle says it can be easily changed in etc/system.gp2x file. As a piece of advice, use:

set gba palettes

About new features as a speed button: I do not own a Wiz and I'm not planning to buy one in the near future. Besides, I'm not using my Gp2x any more. Real world and such. So do not expect much help from me for future releases apart from support. The beauty of open sourcing is that the source code is out there, and anyone could continue the job.

For example, Jojo has compiled a new version that uses SDL to output sound. They say that it is better synchronized, but it seems that it lacks some features that the the last version by Pickle had. Up to you: http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68535

juanvvc said:
For example, Jojo has compiled a new version that uses SDL to output sound. They say that it is better synchronized, but it seems that it lacks some features that the the last version by Pickle had. Up to you: http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68535

How do you download these and which is which, sorry I can't speak Spanish.
There's a few things on this site but I haven't sussed out how to download them yet. (Any chance of putting them on the archive?)

Neil L said:

I'm sorry, I thought that anybody could download files from gp32spain without being registered. It seems that it is not the case any more :(

Binary: http://vieju.net/pub/wiz/LemonBoy_SDL_timing.zip
Source code: http://vieju.net/pub/wiz/LemonBoy_SDL_timing_source.zip

Keep in mind that Jojo is the one behind this version. I do not know if it works better than the last version by Pickle. I'm not sure whether it should be uploaded to the archive without further tests.

juanvvc said:
Neil L said:

Keep in mind that Jojo is the one behind this version. I do not know if it works better than the last version by Pickle. I'm not sure whether it should be uploaded to the archive without further tests.

juanvvc, I actually dont think my latest changes should go in. I think I know the correct solution to fix the fps limiter rather than use the vsync. I also want to take a second crack at the SDL. sound. So im not done with this emulator just yet :)

Pickle said:
So im not done with this emulator just yet :)

Good thing to hear :) I do not specially support Jojo's or your versions. The code is out there and I don't thing I'll be able to work on it any more, so I'd be glad if someone continue the project. And I know you have good ideas for Lemonboy (man, people don't realize how hard you worked on the Wiz port)

In fact, I think that Jojo is using an old version of your work, and this pisses me off somehow: it has some bugs that you solved months ago! That's the main reason why Jojo's version shouldn't be on the archive, as someone asked for a couple of messages ago. But Jojo is working on these issues right now and he may publish an enhanced version soon.

So, I feel that yours is the "official" version, and Jojo is exploring new ways to enhance it. I'd prefer not to see a fork of lemonboy, but I feel that it is not my project any more :)

There's an updated version of Lemonboy on the archive here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,134
But it hangs up after selecting a rom. (As kasumi89 & Clownzilla pointed out on the archive.)
Any chance of fixing this? (and maybe delete the setting for the quickscale button as mentioned earlier.)
Cheers, Neil

A fast scroll (with the left & right buttons) on the rom selection screen would be nice also.

Personally, I like the jelly.

(cough)

I mean, I like gameplaySP. It works fine. Waddya want? what? what?

--Spycloud

I'm getting the black screen when loading a rom as well.
Also, that would be cool if there was a way to change the keys so that A doesn't quickscale (like Neil said).

New version here:

http://vieju.net/pub/wiz/LemonBoy_SDL_timing_patch.zip

Tested, and works. The sound sure sounds a lot better in this version.
Uh, like the MAME emulator, I find that the default volume is cranked up really high.. any chance of bringing it down so it's not blaring so loud when you load a rom?

Deevoh said:
Also, that would be cool if there was a way to change the keys so that A doesn't quickscale (like Neil said).

Open the LemonBoy/etc/system.gp2x file with notepad and delete 'gpa videochangebind ' and that will disable the quickscale on the A button.
Hopefully this will be deleted before it's put back up on the archive, along with the volume problem.
Cheers, Neil

I don't think the audio has improved at all. :(

Also, the "deformed" scaling modes make it slower.

The Nintendo DS with Lameboy had full speed emulation and perfect sound even when it was scaled to full screen! Why is it so hard for the Wiz to properly emulate Gameboy sound when it's fine in NES emulation?

Back