Development Bounties

God Ginrai said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
God Ginrai said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
Support for graphical plug-ins in emulators (mostly N64 and PSX emulators) using OpenGL and the hardware + the sound through the DSP too.

Adventus's gles2n64 already uses OpenGL ES 2, and therefore the hardware. I don't understand why you said the N64 emulator didn't have it.
I never said that it didn't have it, please don't go putting words in my mouth.

I was just saying that all the emulators that can use hardware support (for both video and sound), should have it. That's all!

I'm not putting words in your mouth. You said that you wanted hardware support and listed PSX and N64 as examples. That is suggesting that those emulators lack said support. If you don't want people to interpret you differently than what you mean, then make sure that you type what you mean.

-God Ginrai
As far as I'm aware the N64 emulator is still lacking sound support through the DSP isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
God Ginrai said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
God Ginrai said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
Support for graphical plug-ins in emulators (mostly N64 and PSX emulators) using OpenGL and the hardware + the sound through the DSP too.

Adventus's gles2n64 already uses OpenGL ES 2, and therefore the hardware. I don't understand why you said the N64 emulator didn't have it.

I was just saying that all the emulators that can use hardware support (for both video and sound), should have it. That's all!

I'm not putting words in your mouth. You said that you wanted hardware support and listed PSX and N64 as examples. That is suggesting that those emulators lack said support. If you don't want people to interpret you differently than what you mean, then make sure that you type what you mean.

-God Ginrai
As far as I'm aware the N64 emulator is still lacking sound support through the DSP isn't it?

You listed sound as an afterthought. That doesn't excuse you for your comments about the graphics.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
God Ginrai said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
God Ginrai said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:

-God Ginrai

You listed sound as an afterthought. That doesn't excuse you for your comments about the graphics.

-God Ginrai
What are you on about, listed the sound as an after thought? have a fuckin word with yourself.

Are you really that desperate to be right about something that you will make up a completely bull shit argument about something completely meaningless and pathetic like that?

I said graphics and sound and used both emulators as an example. If both of them emulators don't have both hardware accelerated graphics and sound, my point still stands.

Grow up you pathetic waste of time.

craigix said:
Let's hear what you want.

I'd like to see something that clearly demonstrated the the Pandora was the most powerful hand held in existence. Something that pushed the system in terms of 3D graphics.

So maybe Quake 3 running smoothly, and without glitches, full screen at native res using the on board graphics hardware.

Or maybe just a Pandora optimised version of Mame.

Or etc. etc.

Seriously though, many thanks to all you software guys out there for the great and growing selection of stuff already available for the Pandora. :D

There are two things I really would love to see happening on Pandora. Not sure in which order.

1. There are plenty of independent Flash developers out there and it would be amazing to be able to play Flash games on the Pandora. Not only would we have a huge library of great content but if these developers could do stuff directly for a hand held console I'm sure a lot of them would be interested.

2. Hardware YouTube playback would be great. Playing 480p movies directly from YT in fullscreen would make the Pandora an easy sell to a lot of people. I subscribe to a few channels myself and it would be great to just boot up my Pandora in the morning and watch some stuff in bed. And can you imagine how useful it would be to have a cooking movie on your Pandora, in your kitchen!?

Alpha2 said:
centus said:
DSP accelerated video/audio decoding would be great.
HELLO. YES. QFT. THIS PLZKTHNX.

Also ASM core... in fact ANY optimizing core would be awesome.
This will come with the new firmware because this is already functional on beagleboard but need new kernel

For me the bounty need to go for games, games specificaly dedicated for the Pandora (or other OMPA3). We have a portable gaming but without big games (i know there's some good in dev like Pandorapanic, Wandor, Pandjoust) but we need somethink like Mario was for NEs and SNES or Sonic for Sega ;)
The software nned some work but we can take some upgrade from other OMAP3 dev

- HW acceleration (audio, video)
- Low-power music player mode
- WLAN on demand (off by default, asks for connection if required)
- USB Gadget modes (mass storage, keyboard, gamepad, mouse) + CLI + GUI
- Bluetooth gadget modes (keyboard, gamepad, mouse) + CLI + GUI

Well I think the bounty should be saved for when there is a lull in the development on some of the more advance emulators. If the deves were to stop working on say N64, PSX, or dosbox. I think the bounty should go to one of those systems. The Pandora can to lots of things but let’s face it. It is primary an machine for emulation and no other device should be able to come any where close to it in its ability to emulates games.

Software ports:
-Smokin' Guns. Free Open Source multiplayer shooter, Quake 3 based. Could be distributed (including content!) with every Pandora and really show off the graphical capabilities.
http://www.smokin-guns.net/
-OpenTTD. Free Open Source implementation of Transport Tycoon. A brilliant game that could also be distributed with every Pandora.
http://www.openttd.org/en/
Of course, the ports should be good quality and take advantage of the Pandora's controls etc.

Drivers:
Where are we still missing Open Source drivers? It'd be great to get Open Source replacements for them.
Also, there was some talk about a full OpenGL (not ES) driver being a possibility. Not sure how feasible that actually is but it would probably make a lot of ports much easier.

Supporting software from other platforms
Android: There are efforts to get Android running on the Pandora. However, that doesn't really seem attractive to me. What we really want is to get all the available software for Android to run on the Pandora while keeping our desktop style OS. Since Android is Open Source and Linux based, shouldn't it be possible to just run Dalvik and other stuff on top of our OS and then get Android apps working somehow?
webOS: Most software for Palm's webOS (except most games, unfortunately) is based on HTML and Javascript. Maybe it's possible to create an Open Source backend to run them on the Pandora?

hardware acceleration (video and audio)

suspend to ram

sleep mode

latest kernel

sd/usb bug killing session

low power media players

nicer network management for wifi/3g (wizards)

flash or gnash port

youtube playback

nub calibration/hack/state save utility OR firmware flash from nub makers to fix calibration oddness

visual keyboard remapping tool

protected mode for nand, somehow prevent any writes to nand other than updates.

os integrated wifi enable/disable/no seek mode/seek mode etc tool

improved/customisable battery meter

cleaned up nand with odd cruft like graphics demo files and unused libs removed

open source video driver

custom Pandora language like AMOS or DarkBasic for quick hacks and casual game writers (like me ;) ), all the classic machines had their own B.A.S.I.C)

custom Pandora onboard development environments for C/Asm/Python/Ruby etc (maybe a nice modified GUI based on Kdevelop or code::Blocks)

I can think of others once I have my Pandora :D

edit: and once we have a stable core, freeze it for a few months or a year to prevent breakages in the system due to updates, then release "testing" and "release candidate" versions to make sure new releases don,t break anything critical (for small values of critical...someone may get really upset if solitaire gets broken :lol: )

If bounties are at play, they give me a bad taste unless it's for real suff. I mean, homebrew communities are based on free work done for love of the game much of he time, and generally I'm against giving folks cash for ports of someone else work - it doesn't seem right target fortheir donation (ie, porter is doing 1/100th the work of original team usually) and against bounties usually for easy stuff. Ie: dropping asm into snes emu isn't really hard and should not be bounties. Better menus for emus? Lame use of bounty. (likewise it means insult to everyone who has gone before for free). I mean, for easy stuff it's he wrong message - why would me and picle and zx81 and stevem and so on keep pumping out suff when $$ gets thrown around? (likewise for all us firmware hackers)

bounties would be great for stuff that is big, or hard, or PITA - hardware support in video, perhaps forsomething not too bad but pita like SDL, etc. But not stupid little things :) stuff that is annoying enough or time consuming enoughthat most people don't pickit up. Most of these easy requests are a couple hours work here or here, so I'd think folks would just do it anyway? Or is hat naive - do people need $$$ incentives? (and if so, I'm a sucker ;)

so pick good bounties, or easy requests. Easy bounties are a pissoff ;)

jeffPhone

jumpman said:
tony11@hotmail.com said:
@jumpman, a working Daphne would be so sweet, and an impressive show of what the Pandora can do. The only worry is that some of the laserdisc roms can be as big as 3 or 4 gig, it will soon eat up your space on the SD card. But hell if they can bring out dragon's lair on the ds, then surely a daphne emulator or a port of dragon's lair/space ace would be sweet :D
I've got 2 32gb sd cards, and one is on reserve for Daphne, so I'm hoping someone can port it.

I actually contacted the creator a few years ago, and he was trying a GP2X port, but the system was just to underpowered, and he gave up. I then offered him a Pandora to try again, but he no longer wanted to hassle with any handhelds. I'm sure the source is available, and Matt is very friendly in regards to helping folks out. So maybe someone can grab the torch and go!

I have the DS version, and it is a good translation, but the vid quality sucks ass. I don't like to play it for that one reason. I have a demo of the united coders DS version, and it is was way better. I wish Digital Leisure had gone with that port versus a download(limited size)dsi ware version. The iphone version is very good, as is their space ace. Very good vid quality, all though the touch screen isn't perfect, it works well.

Cliff Hanger, Dragons Lair 2, and Badlands would rock big time. :lol:

Chris
I have daphne on my arcade cab, i had never played Cliff Hanger before but i put it on my cab and really enjoyed it, i thought badlands was ok, i think my three would be Firefox, Astron Belt, Road Avenger :).
I remember when Matt was doing the gp2x, i think he was asking for donations and i didn't feel robbed when daphne for gp2x fell through as he had done so much work on Daphne for the pc, i was more than happy for him to have the money.
I have a DS XL and the video gets really pixelated on Dragon's Lair, but it is still playable, i played the demo of the original also (i think i got it from duelscreen radio when it was around).
The way things are at the moment with the Pandora it seems like most things are possible, and i am really looking forward to the next year or so to see what comes out, thanks to OPT we are living in exciting times (i haven't had a good night sleeps since i recieved my Pandora....Damn you Craig LOL) ;)

skeezix said:
<<STUFFS>>

so pick good bounties, or easy requests. Easy bounties are a pissoff ;)

jeffPhone
That is a solid point. I am sort of curious about what exactly constitutes hard stuff. I'd assume that a lot of the optimization stuff is probably fairly time consuming if not hard.

Back