Do Any Computer Emulators Allow Key Reassignment?

Congealed

Still Fresh
Hello,

I have avoided asking this question simply because I thought that I should be able to find it out myself and because I am scared of being sworn at by other users! I have tried loads of emulators and used the search function to its full potential and failed to find what I searched for, so here it goes:

Are there any Computer emulators (meaning emulators for systems that have keys instead of or as well as buttons) that allow the user to assign the GP2X buttons to certain keystrokes?

For example, the Atari ST or Spectrum or Amiga and things like that. I don't want to have to carry a keyboard about to play games that use one, and the virtual keyboards are virtually useless!

thank you

Congealed said:
Hello,

I have avoided asking this question simply because I thought that I should be able to find it out myself and because I am scared of being sworn at by other users!

Oops.
Congealed said:
I have tried loads of emulators and used the search function to its full potential and failed to find what I searched for, so here it goes:

Are there any Computer emulators (meaning emulators for systems that have keys instead of or as well as buttons) that allow the user to assign the GP2X buttons to certain keystrokes?

For example, the Atari ST or Spectrum or Amiga and things like that. I don't want to have to carry a keyboard about to play games that use one, and the virtual keyboards are virtually useless!

thank you
Interesting, keystrokes singular? I only used the Atari emulator, I think the games just worked (is there an atari joypad for the Atari PC's?)

This is a good question, are there games that don't use controllers? Aside from the IBM PC/DOS that is. I do recall playing the Apple ][e with the keyboard, but I also used the joystick if I got to it first at school :). But there isn't an Apple emulator AFAIK on the GP2X

Last edited by a moderator:
The BBC emulator definitely does.

Most computer emulators will either allow you to assign the keys to the various GP2X buttons or will provide a 'virtual keyboard' where you can press the keys by selecting a key with the joystick and then hitting a button...

Frodo has a virtual keyboard...

I used to play a lot of simulation games on my gp32 / gp2x... I know that castaway let you map keyboard keys to controller keys on the handheld using a config file...

Frodo let you do the same for the c64 (if i remember correctly)

Thank you all for your help.

The Atari ST did have joysticks and controllers but a few games needed key controls. Also, for games like Worms for the Amiga you need to use both the mouse and keyboard and this is useless with a virtual keyboard.

TomVS: thank you for the hint. I havent been able to work out config files yet because it seems like a lot of work setting up configs for each game. I will need to try this!

Pickle: I will try Dosbox too, I havent used that much at all.

Congealed

Congealed said:

GP2Xpectrum allows you to reassign the joystick and the buttons A, B, X, Y, L and R to any key, and you can save the keyboard configuration for each game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still havent cracked this yet.

DoS box does allow this function but I had problems running it, I will try again soon. GP2Xpectrum does allow this also but I did not find this feature in Frodo or OutcaST. Any pointers?

I would love to be able to play games on OutcaST with keys and not need that horrible virtual keyboard jobbie.

Congealed

GP2X-MSX also supports key reassignment. Handy if you want to play the original two Metal Gear games as they relied on keyboard input.

Back