Do People Outside The Us Say Bm?

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 25 2006 at 10:54 PM said:
I'm Welsh and I have no idea what BM is.

Oh to turn the tables, why do people in the U.S. think that England covers the whole of GB? Britain has more than one country in it, and I'm in Wales not England :p. I mean, you would love me for sarcastically saying all Americans live in Canada, it's part of the same rock so it's the same place isn't it?
I actually do believe that Canadians are Americans, and that Mexicans are Americans, and that Brazilians are Americans. (Political nuetrality is a core tenant of my personal religious beliefs, and, oh yeah, they live in the Americas).

I really just wanted input from non-US people that spoke English.

I started this on BM and I learn to say GB :). Thanks for the info.

Like I said it seems to be a cultural thing because Mel Brooks used it in his film (I think he meant it as a sarcastic joke, part of the Prince's character).

That was excellent Blah (I just noticed what the shirt said, that was one good looking girl :)).

I certaintly got a rise out of Telcolou, and what a coinkydink! I too live directly above the center of the Earth :lol:.

Huh, looking over telco's post, maybe that girl just likes Bermuda?

Oh, this I did not know, the term BM is medical in origin? That would explain how it got into the social consciousness, so many people going to doctors and hearing it from them.

Have you guys (and gals) ever seen the Italian Job, with Michael Caine? I love that movie. Noel Coward seems to call it "his natural rythm". :).

Sorry to talk so much about feces, but my mom was kind of a health nut/hippie, my Uncle is a Doctor of Alternative [ spam word ] (he tours hospitals and helps them set up programs), and my father insisted we couldn't refer to it as "going potty" but had to say defecating, needless to say quite a few of the people I talked to were bewildered when they heard a 4-year old say "I need to defecate" or "I need to urinate" even though it is perfectly good English.

I guess it is not a common thing to hear in GB, although this is CA, and things are weird here (I live in Northern California, so I have no clue really, it is mostly farms and rural, pastoral lands).

Wow, reading over the posts it seems it may be a West coast phenomenon, the East coasters have never heard of it (though how do I know if they are well-rounded).

The question I suppose is where Mel Brooks got the joke, or who wrote it into the movie. Magnulus said he had seen that movie many times and even recalled what I was talking about, but never noticed the BM joke.

Do doctors in GB call it BM?

Last edited by a moderator:
michaeljustman posted on Jul 26 2006 at 03:20 PM said:
dsraa posted on Jul 26 2006 at 06:53 PM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 26 2006 at 02:28 PM said:
O'kay, from that I can guess it's a bit rude. Probably best I didn't know :unsure: .

Well I don't know if its rude, but its not a polite thing to say infront of or *to* a woman. So yea...I guess its better you didn't know....its raunchy talk...hehe.

DSR

It's not raunchy. I don't know what you guys are talking about.

I'd say that it's the best way to refer to it in a professional setting, although, I've actually worked in a job that required us to refer to BMs frequently.

I've heard women use this term. In fact, I'd imagine that I've heard them use it more than men, because the propensity for women to work in a job field where they might need to refer to it to other people with out wanting to offend someone.

never IN MY ENTIRE LIFE have I heard a woman use this term. N-E-V-E-R.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 26 2006 at 03:34 PM said:
Javacat posted on Jul 26 2006 at 04:30 PM said:
It's nothing rude. It just means you need a shit. :rolleyes:
Ewww, okay, I definately do not want to know what it is..... :eek:

Told ya so.

DSR

dsraa posted on Jul 26 2006 at 10:00 AM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 26 2006 at 03:34 PM said:
Javacat posted on Jul 26 2006 at 04:30 PM said:
It's nothing rude. It just means you need a shit. :rolleyes:
Ewww, okay, I definately do not want to know what it is..... :eek:

Told ya so.

DSR
It is only rude if you tell her you need to "shit".

It stands for Bowel Movement, a medical term, which is inoffensive.

I wonder if Vets charge for the massage they give recalcitrant animals as a "BM job" on the bill?

To qualify that I will say that from the age of 6 or 7 my father would read me James Herriot's vetrinary novels.

nubie posted on Jul 26 2006 at 05:19 PM said:
It is only rude if you tell her you need to "shit".

It stands for Bowel Movement, a medical term, which is inoffensive.

I wonder if Vets charge for the massage they give recalcitrant animals as a "BM job" on the bill?

To qualify that I will say that from the age of 6 or 7 my father would read me James Herriot's vetrinary novels.

I never said it was rude. It can be considered that, I don't consider it to be, but a woman who is uncomfortable with that entire subject wether using "BM" is a medical term or not, is still besides the point.

There's plenty of medical terms that some can find offensive.....that are clearly just definitions or abbreviations to some extent of a subject, procedure or what have you.

whateva. I myself like using the term...

DSR

dsraa posted on Jul 26 2006 at 10:31 AM said:
I never said it was rude. It can be considered that, I don't consider it to be, but a woman who is uncomfortable with that entire subject wether using "BM" is a medical term or not, is still besides the point.

There's plenty of medical terms that some can find offensive.....that are clearly just definitions or abbreviations to some extent of a subject, procedure or what have you.

whateva. I myself like using the term...

DSR
To state a different way, "shit" is offensive because it is a vulgarity.

Anyone uncomfortable with the topic of a normal bodily function has a personal problem with it.

It is a PC kind of thing (Politically Correct, not Personal Computer :)).

Oh, well, no more funny things coming out of this topic I guess.

Goity posted on Jul 25 2006 at 11:51 PM said:
BMs, aren't they that smiley face chocolate bar?

No, that's BN!

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 26 2006 at 04:28 PM said:
I am now completely confused. I know what BJ is, but it doesn't sound like it's anything to do with that.

What's a BJ? Can you please describe it to me in as much detail as you can?

Goity posted on Jul 26 2006 at 06:52 PM said:
We also invented the cat.

We invented the modern cat, but the Chinese still hold the patent on whiskers. We tried making cats without whiskers but found that many wouldn't eat their food, which was a bit of a design flaw really. I bought a retro cat the other day on Ebay. Can you remember them? You used to have to put their tails on manually, and if you wanted them to see in the dark you needed to attach a lamp to their collar.

Before anyone asks.. No, it's not in working order. It's dead. But it did come boxed in its original packaging.

Talking of cats, The guy who invented the reflective cats eyes on our roads came up with the idea when a cat was walking towards him in the dark and his light reflected from its eyes. Had the cat been walking the other way he would have invented the pencil sharpener! :blink:

ste_167 posted on Jul 27 2006 at 01:02 PM said:

We invented the modern cat, but the Chinese still hold the patent on whiskers. We tried making cats without whiskers but found that many wouldn't eat their food, which was a bit of a design flaw really. I bought a retro cat the other day on Ebay. Can you remember them? You used to have to put their tails on manually, and if you wanted them to see in the dark you needed to attach a lamp to their collar.

Before anyone asks.. No, it's not in working order. It's dead. But it did come boxed in its original packaging.

Can this emulate N64?

iignotus posted on Jul 27 2006 at 02:40 PM said:
Mitch Bilker

I was hoping it was going to Bushy Minge but then I went onto Wiki.....

"Baby Mamma, the popular street term for the mother of one's illegitimate child. "

It couldn't be Bushy Minge because it doesn't fit what michaeljustman said:

michaeljustman posted on Jul 25 2006 at 02:53 PM said:
BM as in ***** ******? :huh:
***** = Bitch
****** = Milker

sand_man posted on Jul 28 2006 at 07:19 AM said:
I just took a SHIT
SARCASM MODE ON

I'm soo glad you told us that, my life is now complete.

SARCASM MODE OFF

Ewwwwww, I soooo didn't want to hear that.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 27 2006 at 11:22 PM said:
sand_man posted on Jul 28 2006 at 07:19 AM said:
I just took a SHIT
SARCASM MODE ON

I'm soo glad you told us that, my life is now complete.

SARCASM MODE OFF

Ewwwwww, I soooo didn't want to hear that.
Your avatar scares me.

Back