Do You Use A Gnu/linux Distro On Your Main Computer?

Do you use a GNU/Linux distro on your main computer?

• Yes

Votes: 210 69.1%
  • No

Votes: 94 30.9%

• Total voters

KodeIn said:
B-ZaR said:
What. I have 2GiB RAM and almost never run out of memory unless I'm using a ton of software at the same time, at which point it's not the KDE sucking it up. What's taking up all your memory?
Like he said, he render 3D scene with luxrender and compile in the background.
Now how did I miss that :D. I somehow just parsed that as "KDE takes up all my memory". I'm not even a KDE fanboy! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I am currently only booting Windows Vista (which is a piece of crap, but I could not find XP compatible drivers for my Laptop).
But I am about to clean it up and install Win7, which I already have lying around and then I probably will get myself a VirtualMachine for compiling and Linux Compatibility checking - haven't decided on the distro yet, but Arch seems to be very popular around here...

foxblock out

My only computer is a laptop. A macbook in fact! It's running snow leopard. While at work I use parallels to run windows in a vm to run the one program I need and still stick in Mac OS X. I also have a second computer that just stays at work that's running XP.

I'm completely loving Mac OS X. My favorite OS so far...

I've tried Ubuntu, Debian, Xebian (who knows what that is) Linux is OK but I really like Mac.

Debian stable :)

Switched from Windows XP 10 months ago. The software is excellent, and development is a lot more fun.

Yep.

Run 5.0 Debian Lenny on my Server.

Jolicloud Final-Beta on my Netbook, and Sourcemage on my Desktop.

Dual boot, primary W$XP, 2ndary ubuntu 9.10. W$ primary because can't emulate well Fairyland Online on wine, and i'm addicted to this game since year 2004.

flpic.jpg

no
running linux would be a waste with the hardware on my main computer

I use Arch Linux on my main machine (desktop) and Gentoo on my laptop. I'm not using dual boot on either of the machines.

I use a combination of Fedora 12 & Mint 7 mostly. Looking forward to the releases coming up shortly. Also have FreeBSD/xfce, but wish it had more support - the linux "layer" is a customised version of Fed10!

I bought my main machine 10 years ago. It was a top-notch i7 with 8GB. Nowadays it's a meh machine that barely can play ducklings.io
I just upgraded reinstalled to Debian10 (from Debian 8) with KDE. I did a fresh install because the upgrade from 6 to 7 and 7 to 8 failed (once lost GUI due to X changing, the other time I lost rights to shutdown, due to KDE errors).
On the one hand, some things now "just work". On the other the software is sluggish (copying large files halts the mouse so you have to guess where the mouse will be in 5 seconds, when the mouse is updated) and swaphungry (and I have a slow drive, so I changed the swappiness "sysctl vm.swappiness=30"). It takes weeks to tweak, but it's starting to feel like the trusty ol' machine I had.
On the plus side, I just move my .icedove and thunderbird converted it successfully to the newer version.
Wine is worse on Debian 10. Much slower and some things (the sims) do not work anymore (but it could be me I installed both wine32 and wine64 and have not tweaked too much yet).

copying large files halts the mouse so you have to guess where the mouse will be in 5 seconds

This could happen if the mouse is connected with the same USB HUB of the device reading/receiving the files, despite the OS you are using.

Reactions: rSl
I'm using Fedora for my main machine (core2quad) still adequate for daily use. I'm wondering when the point comes where it's to slow. ARCH is used for my render PC. When I find the time I will move to arch completely, just sick of Version upgrades.
No Windows as daily driver since about 8 Years and happy with it. Linux just keeps working with my hardware in contrast to Windows.

Reactions: rSl
This could happen if the mouse is connected with the same USB HUB of the device reading/receiving the files, despite the OS you are using.
It was more of a total lock. The screen was not refreshed, my gkrellm performance displays stopped rendering, clock stopped updating. And a minute later, the computer unfroze and continued working. The disks was internally connected with sata, so not sure if they shared the same bus with the mouse (usb). CTRL+ALT+F1 worked, and from the root console I could use renice to change the niceness level of the copy process, but it still locked up the machine.
No "locate", no "antivirus scan" active.

I'm using Fedora for my main machine (core2quad) still adequate for daily use. I'm wondering when the point comes where it's to slow. ARCH is used for my render PC. When I find the time I will move to arch completely, just sick of Version upgrades.
No Windows as daily driver since about 8 Years and happy with it. Linux just keeps working with my hardware in contrast to Windows.
Yeah, I'm using arch on all of my computers at present. I'm not sure that makes upgrading entirely painless though, but at least anything that breaks things or otherwise isn't to your satisfaction happens sooner so you can work around it, rather than you doing a distupgrade (or whatever the yum equivalent is) and suddenly you potentially experiencing all of that at once.

Back