Do You Use A Gnu/linux Distro On Your Main Computer?

Do you use a GNU/Linux distro on your main computer?

• Yes

Votes: 210 69.1%
  • No

Votes: 94 30.9%

• Total voters

VRAndy said:
No, because Left4Dead.

Used to though. Probably will do again someday. After PC gaming dies. (Scheduled for a year or two from now. :-( )

Left4Dead worked fine when I played it under Wine on Kubuntu.

Last edited by a moderator:
VRAndy said:
josemdark said:
VRAndy said:
No, because Left4Dead.

Used to though. Probably will do again someday. After PC gaming dies. (Scheduled for a year or two from now. :-( )

What's the problem? :huh:

I play Left4Dead in Debian...

http://img691.images...antallazoex.png
http://img692.images...ntallazo1xi.png

(The mouse appears because I'm rotating the cube)
The problem is Left 4 Dead 2 which is still on Cedega's red list.
The Other problem is Steam itself, which is only sometimes Cedega-compatible.

I played through the Left4Dead2 demo with plain Wine and it ran fine. There were a couple of graphical glitches in the buildings where I would occasionally see outside light-sources, but nothing show-stopping.

Aninhumer said:
Since it started happening in March, I'm pretty sure it's a month typo not a grammar fail.

But don't let me ruin your fun! ;)

Yeah, just a month typo. I time travel a lot and sometimes I get confused as to what time period I'm in.

laharl said:
Line O said:
fraseyboy said:
However since I'm still on the RC1, my Windows 7 started shutting down every two hours at the beginning of April.
Past tense?

English isn't my native languaje but shouldn't that be "my Windows 7 has been shutting down every two hours since Aprill" ?
i understand it eitherway but just asking out of curiosity

back on topic, GNU with Linux (aka ubuntu 9.10) in my Pentium 4 HT 3GHz (prescott!!!!! core at 59°C idlle 73°C under load with fan at 4800 RPM x.x)
He's missing a comma and used the wrong month.

Correct: ...my Windows 7 started shutting down every two hours, at the beginning of March.

Rockthesmurf said:
To be honest I haven't tried Linux for a while now, but certainly last time I used it everything still seemed to be a struggle (as an example at the time it proved to be very hard to get hardware acceleration working on a dual monitor setup, and the instructions to do it involved editing a bunch of config files and all sorts - I just don't have the desire or time to do any of that sort of thing).

Manual xorg.conf editing?

I was impressed with Ubuntu 9.10. I could finally drop the manual configuration.

Ollonk said:
If you happen to be lucky enough to have a PC that has no driver issues, linux is often less visible than windows due to the lack of need for anti-malware tools.

If most linux advocates delved as heavily into Windows, I doubt they'd need anti-malware software.

Like I said; 7+ years, no problems.

Yes, on my main laptop, desktop, and by today's standards pitiable little raid server <- plans for bigger one...should have the $$$ by the time btrfs works reliably with raid5. :-b. I do dual boot to windows on my desktop for games on occasion. Opensuse on the desktop, Gentoo until recently on the laptop. Now running Kubuntu. And of course on my handhelds. :-D

I'm running Xubuntu 9.10 On my Desktop, dual booting with Windows 7:
Athlon II x2 245 2.9Ghz -> 3.7Ghz OC
4GB DDR2 1066 @ 5-5-5-12
500GB Sata II HDD (split in half, one partition for M$, one for Xubuntu)
Nvidia Geforce 9800GT

This is my brand new computer, I'm quite proud of the way it came out. =]

And I also use Xubuntu 9.10 on my EEE PC 900, which runs perfectly fine, even on the dreadfully slow 16GB SSD.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
I'm running Xubuntu 9.10 On my Desktop, dual booting with Windows 7:
Athlon II x2 245 2.9Ghz -> 3.7Ghz OC
4GB DDR2 1066 @ 5-5-5-12
500GB Sata II HDD (split in half, one partition for M$, one for Xubuntu)
Nvidia Geforce 9800GT

This is my brand new computer, I'm quite proud of the way it came out. =]

And I also use Xubuntu 9.10 on my EEE PC 900, which runs perfectly fine, even on the dreadfully slow 16GB SSD.

I have more storage than you and my timmings are lower so i guess i win..
Anyway, my main OS is AIX..

win 7 on gaming rig
phenom x4 @ 3.4/8gb ddr2 1066/3tb raid5 array/radeon 5850

debian 5/vista on laptop

debian 4 or 5 on a couple servers in my garage, and a server 2k3 box for hosting some games :)
Dell PowerEdge 1950,
couple HP proliant dl 3-somethings

I also have a bunch of mini-itx boxes lying around as routers/nas boxes and a sql server, mostly ubuntu server on those ^^

Windows 7 Pro x64 is my main, but I dual boot with Ubuntu 9.10 (I'm still new to all this linux stuff, so I went with Ubuntu as I could install it through Wubi)

I am enjoying the dipping into Ubuntu, it's a nice OS, but it wont replace Windows 7 for me, as Windows 7 is just too awesome. But who knows what could happen in the future!

And seeing as people are giving system specs too now;

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB OCZ DDR2 ram
ATI Radeon HD4850
hard drives of various sizes adding up to about 2TB

Not as cutting edge as it was when I built it in July 2008, but it still plays everything I want it to.

Got a laptop too, an Asus R1F Convertible Tablet, which is currently running Windows 7 Pro X86

That's got a Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz
2.5GB DDR 2 ram
GMA 950 graphics (games work so well on it! Half-Life 2 at 20fps - AMAZING!)
100GB hard drive
and a completely knackered battery (why are laptop batteries so shit?)

Sod it, phone too - an ageing Nokia N95-8GB soon to be replaced by a Nokia N900 when my upgrade period comes around at the beginning of April :D hooray at last!

GizmoTheGreen said:
I knew it!

ED uses Arch!

ED, lets get arch on the pandora as well, ;)
I will try to

I got the impression, there are more Arch-Linux then Windows-users posting here ^^
While I really like Arch and it replaces Ubuntu on more and more systems of me and my family/friends, I really don't see it on my Pandora, unless the default OS will be a *everyone runs windows anyway, so lets patch this and that and make root the default-login* mess.
For some people this might be hard to understand, but being abled to configure most things through text-files and having full multi-user support are key-features of a good OS and good software in general for me. I like to have cli-tools for regular jobs. Applies to the pandora as much as to any full desktop.

I'm probably the only one of my kind on this board (or at least nobody else had admitted to it). I run Slackware and have been for about a decade.

ThinkPad R60 (C2D, ATI graphics): Slackware <- What I actually use 99% of the time.
ThinkPad R60 (CD, Intel graphics): Slackware
ThinkPad X300: Slackware
ThinkPad T42: Slackware
ThinkPad T40: Slackware
ThinkPad R50e: Slackware
IBM Personal Computer 300PL (P3 733MHz, 512MB RIMM): Slackware <- My primary server/router/etc.
Lenovo 3000 N100: Ubuntu
Multimedia/file server (Pentium D 2.8GHz, 1GB DDR2): Slackware
Desktop (P4 3.0GHz, 2GB DDR, Radeon X1950): Windows XP <- old gaming machine
Alienware M17x_R2 (Core i7 M620, 4GB DDR3, Radeon HD4870x2): Windows 7 <- new gaming machine
1st gen iMac: OpenBSD
Apple IIc: Apple BASIC
Atari 800XL: Atari BASIC
XO-1: Sugar

The two Windows boxes are expressly for the purpose of gaming and don't see much use out side of LAN parties. I also have a Windows VM on the first ThinkPad that I use work (development/testing of the .NET interface to our company's products).

At work I also manage various Ubuntu, CentOS, OS X, and Solaris boxes. Including Sun Blade 1000 for building/testing Solaris Sparc binaries.

Now that Slackware has an official ARM port, that'll probably be one of my first projects when I get my Pandora.

^^ Gentoo +1

I run Gentoo on everything that can take it. I even had console on the iPhone working.

other then that I like Slackware and Debian, always meant to try Arch but never got around to it. Gentoo is the best all around OS I've yet found, especially so when customized for extreme Desktop use.

I have run Ubuntu on my main desktop for the past 3 years now and will probably move onto something like Gentoo in time when I get around to it. Ubuntu does EVERYTHING I need a computer to do (Including behavioral statistics, in PSPP, the open version of SPSS) and I have never been happier using my heavily aging "Hyperthreading" (remember that?) PC. I use Windows 7 on my 1000HE (Squared away netbook!) because it works incredibly well.

Back