Do You Use A Gnu/linux Distro On Your Main Computer?

Do you use a GNU/Linux distro on your main computer?

• Yes

Votes: 210 69.1%
  • No

Votes: 94 30.9%

• Total voters

BWoodson said:
Alerino said:
Ubuntu_karmic_koala_9_10.jpg
I consider myself a human being and I don't look anything like this. This is an outrage!! I want cute furry ears!!!

I don't think that is a human being. None of the human pictures on Wikipedia look like that. Possible the photographer wasn't familiar with human beings and accidentally photographed the wrong animal.

Still, you'd expect them to catch this sort of error.

Attachments

• Ubuntu_karmic_koala_9_10.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited by a moderator:
I dual boot Gentoo and Windows XP on my main machine. I use XP to play a few games, but I haven't had time for a lot of gaming lately. I use XFCE4 with Gentoo (I nicknamed it Gentoox). In retrospect, I think Gnome would have been better. The extra features would be nice, and I could afford the extra memory.
Is Gentoo better than Windows? I don't know. I do like the RSS newsfeed. It makes me feel like I'm watching the news. Maybe I should replace the pipe with the Gentoo logo to give it a little more flair...

Alec  said:
Huh, a lot of people use Gentoo here (me too).
I used to use Gentoo but it took me too much time. I switched to Ubuntu like 2 years ago or so.

I've been using Linux for at least 10 years and have been 100% MS windows free for at least 7.

BWoodson said:
Alerino said:
I consider myself a human being and I don't look anything like this. This is an outrage!! I want cute furry ears!!!

Animal mascots are sort of Ubuntu's thing. Still, combining their slogan with a picture of one of their mascots was a less than ideal marketing choice.

Attachments

• Ubuntu_karmic_koala_9_10.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 146
Sabayon Linux (distro originating from Gentoo) and Mac OS X. (I've got a lot of computers, the laptops run OS X, the desktops run Linux, for the most part. OS X isn't all that different from linux command-line wise, which I find nice. I know my stuff in windows because I used it for a long time when I was younger, but I hate it quite a bit.

as web dev(php) i can choose my own system, where i work servers are on debian, and post on xp except mine so i am prod to say:

office : fedora 12
home desk: fedora 12
own server: debian (move to centos 5.4 this weekend)
main computer (laptop): fedora 12
university lab : fedora 12 (yes university i am still student work as part time)

as you can see no windows cause no dependency on it even for games (oldies= nestopia,zsnes...) (new: ps3) no microsoft dependency since 2002 so i am soooo proud to be free.

I also use windows 7 works fine, I have to stay compatible with work so illustrator is required otherwise our 'photographers' wont help making figures and posters

cosurgi said:
absolofdoom said:
I know my stuff in windows because I used it for a long time when I was younger, but I hate it quite a bit.
that's a quite accurate description :D
Same here :lol:

wermy said:
VRAndy said:
I've put a lot of hours into both, and I prefer the new one. The short-range weapons makes the game significantly better.

I guess if I had to choose characters, I would prefer the original four survivors over the new four, but not by so wide a margin that it would override all my other good feelings about the sequel.

Let's not forget the new special infected, and scavenge mode... Those are the two things I LOVE about the second one. :D
Scavenge and the spitter are nice.

Win7 on my home pc and at work I use a Windows HPC Server 08 since I use heavy CAD software. Have used linux for programming but dont really like it.

All of my machines, home, work, on the move, run Windows, sure I've tried Linux along the way, but the compatibility just isn't there for the software I run. I'm just not in to OS's full stop, I want the OS to be more or less invisible so I can just get on with what I want to do - it seems people that use Linux seem to actually like Linux as a piece of software in itself, which to me just seems nuts. To be honest I haven't tried Linux for a while now, but certainly last time I used it everything still seemed to be a struggle (as an example at the time it proved to be very hard to get hardware acceleration working on a dual monitor setup, and the instructions to do it involved editing a bunch of config files and all sorts - I just don't have the desire or time to do any of that sort of thing).

Oh, and the main thing I use my PC for is games development, and if you survey what OS is used amongst all professional games studios (in Europe/US at least), I think you'll find 99% of them will be running Windows. It's the professional choice!

That said, I have seen some very slick looking screenshots of people running Linux, and fully appreciate that if Linux can do everything you like, without any hassle, and can do it all for free then it is a pretty good choice - but it just doesn't fit the bill for me.

Steve

@Rockthesmurf

If you happen to be lucky enough to have a PC that has no driver issues, linux is often less visible than windows due to the lack of need for anti-malware tools.

That said, I've never had a computer that had 100% of its hardware working in Linux. This, combined with bugs, leads me to not recommend it to the average user. Ever. Linux still has a lot of development needed and a lot more profession-specific software to become main stream, but I still love it for myself.

No. No way. I'm a UNIX user, not a Linux user. I hate the direction Windows is going.

My client computers are Macs. My NAS server is OpenSolaris. Linux can't touch either at the uses I've deployed them for.

For the NAS, Linux has nothing that can touch in-kernel ZFS. The combination of mirroring, compression, autosnapshot+Time Slider, easy administration, and other ZFS features makes a perfect NAS. Other options like ZFS on Linux through FUSE, or in-kernel implementations in BSD are *far* behind OpenSolaris in both features and performance.

For the clients, Linux lacks the versatility of Mac in that Mac OSX can run not just most OSS, but also a wealth of commercial software in areas where OSS is lacking, like pro music production -- Ardour has NOTHING on Logic (and doesn't even support most PRO sound interfaces. ffado? Give me a break, it crashes constantly), photography -- gimp has nothing on Lightroom, and games (I admit that Mac is still *well* behind Windows in this regard, but it's got Blizzard on board, and Valve too now. Old stuff? Linux and Mac both have emus and wine...). While Windows has Mac beat on commercial software availability, it's far behind in OSS offerings, and Microsoft is just plain not as good as Apple at writing good software. I acknowledge the psychological reasons to use OSS instead of something proprietary like Mac, but in my experience Apple delivers a better all-around client experience without compromising most of the real advantages people get from Linux.

On a handheld, though, Linux wins by a longshot. That's why I'm looking forward to receiving my Pandora. Computers are tools. Use the right OS for what *you* do with them.

Edited for spelling.

Back