Do You Use A Gnu/linux Distro On Your Main Computer?

Do you use a GNU/Linux distro on your main computer?

• Yes

Votes: 210 69.1%
  • No

Votes: 94 30.9%

• Total voters

I try to cover all them all;

At work:
Main - windows 7, secondary - ubuntu 9.10, tertiary - osx 10.6

Home:
Main - Ubuntu 9.10, secondary - windows 7, tertiary - osx 10.6

VRAndy said:
The problem is Left 4 Dead 2 which is still on Cedega's red list.
The Other problem is Steam itself, which is only sometimes Cedega-compatible.
Oh, phew, just the shitfest of a sequel doesn't work, then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Regular Wine seems to get things running better than Cedega, why I stopped supporting it...

As for me I run:

Fedora 11 / Windows 7: Gaming Desktop.
Fedora 10(too lazy to upgrade): Web / File Server.
Fedora 11: Work Laptop.

yeah I'm not an Ubuntu guy so sue me.

fiori_musicali said:
VRAndy said:
I know it's cool to hate sequels, but we're talking about a game that's exactly like the original, but you can kill zombies with a katana.

Answer: Kind of.

Reason - I run OSX 10.6.x as main, but I use MINT Linux under VMware for a lot of work. I love Minty Linux - XFCE of course!!

But I am currently in the process of figuring out how to (properly) roll my own distro.
I have made a few but they fail to boot into a GUI (#init 5 - Graphical mode) and I have added all packages for XFCE, still can't start it.

I built one last night using iceWM which has worked with a GUI! I'm getting closer!

Wolfsclaw said:
No because whenever i tried ubuntu or any other Linux OS, i only got into problems (which ended up me being on the terminal with no clue what to type)

Also, no foobar2000. No games. No Windows Live Messenger.

Foobar2000 works well enough in wine. I use it often for listening and for tagging my audio files.
There are a few good client compatible with windows messenger... I personnaly don't believe windows live messenger is something that special.

The number of commercial game on Linux is definitely limited. Also I can agree Linux might be a bit hard at first, especially when you run into some problem. I believe thinks are getting better thogh :)

Personnaly I am running Opensuse 11.2 / KDE and windows 7 on my main computer. I really only need windows for games and a few special cases.
Also I am running ubuntu on my notebook

I have a dual boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10. I used to run Ubuntu from time to time, but for some reason it's stopped connected to my wireless network, so I'm going to wait for 10.04 to come out and install it over 9.10. I've never used Linux that much, because I game and Windows 7 is actually really nice. I've tried Mint before, so maybe I'll just use that instead of Ubuntu from now on. I'll probably use Linux more when I get my Pandora and attempt to learn how to program. (I know, I know, I need to stop putting it off)

I dual boot Ubuntu 9.04 and XP on a netbook. I only boot to XP if I'm going to need to use the laptop extensively without opportunity to recharge, or to install software onto my Dell Axim.

Synaptics package manager, customizable desktop, and viruslessness makes Linux the obvious choice for me.

Windows 7 x64 on my PC, windows XP on my work laptop, Ubuntu VMs for playing with scratchbox and whatnot. I ran Ubuntu only for a while at uni in an attempt to prevent myself from spending so much time gaming but Wolf:ET, ET:Quake Wars and Oblivion (with Wine) all worked pretty well so that was bit of a failed experiment.

I'm UNIX sysadmin.
I have to boot XP under virtualbox only to upgrade firmware and GPS maps for my Nokia smartphone.
Nokia suppose that everybody must have M$ product to use their phones :(

I mainly use os X and a bootcamp windows 7 partition to work on visual studio for school.

I use Windows 7 on my desktop because you can't beat Windows game support. I have Linux Mint 8 installed under VirtualBox. On my laptop I mostly use Windows 7. It seems to get better battery life than my Ubuntu partition. My home server runs Debian because Debian is stable, and I like APT. I also can access it remotely by just using ssh which Windows can't really touch.

Answered yes, but Portal 2 and (the as yet unannounced) HL2 Ep3 mean I need Windows later this year. I don't feel like screwing around with dual boots again so I might try my luck with an e-sata drive install.

Zubuntu on my zaurus for work.
Sidux on my laptop. (The laptop was a donation from a friend down the street who got so fed up with how slow it ran Windows Vista. She now has a mac.)

VRAndy said:
fiori_musicali said:
VRAndy said:
I know it's cool to hate sequels,
Cool? Something that kids like to eat, like ice-cream?

VRAndy said:
but we're talking about a game that's exactly like the original, but you can kill zombies with a katana.
I wish. :( I take it that you didn't play the prequel very much, am I right? I say this because they're VASTLY different games, the other being extremely fun and stimulating, and the other extremely dull and stiff. That's just my opinion.

Windows XP on my laptop, Windows Vista on my Desktop. Since they are genuine copies, I always keep them as my main operating systems.

I use Ubuntu on VirtualBox on my desktop sometimes for testing themes and skins for the Pandora :p.

I use various Windows apps and games that don't run, don't work right via wine or other emulation/virtualization software.

I think this topic fits the off-topic forum, since it bears no relevance to Pandora discussion.

I've honestly tried to switch over to Linux Mint, the initial difficulties with Youtube convinced me to go back to Windows then and the lack of support via MTGO convinced me recently to consider partitioning for Win just to have the game running but I hated how it dual booted before and don't honestly know enough to change the options that bother me.

chole said:
Nightwheel said:
I use Windows Visa.

This typo is awesome because "It's everywhere you want to be" and "Where do you want to go today" play off each other so nicely. :)

I'm using opensuse at the moment. There are a very large variety of reasons why I'm using Linux, though the main ones would probably be a far higher level of ui customization, ease with remote application access, generally easier installation of software, more compatibility with the hardware I happen to own, compared to your typical garden variety, more mainstream operating systems.
whoop hahahha :lol:

Yes, because I am amazing...

There are so many little things that just make Linux sooo gooooood!
(And yes... I am excited about this thread turning into a Linux vs Windows vs Mac vs Typewriter war hahah)

Back