Does Pandora Have More Support Than Wiz?

Jumpman

Advanced Member
This topic isn't to bash on Wiz, and I know it has several great programs/emu's available, but there appears to be way more support and interest in the Pandora and it isn't even available yet! I bought a Wiz back in july to tide me over waiting on Pandora, and it seems like there is hardly any support at all! I also had a GP2X(actually owned 3 over the years), and it seemed to have way more interest and support as well. I know how great the Pandora is going to be, but it still hasn't arrived, and the Wiz has been here awhile, so why the lack of support? When I first got my GP2X, it was better than sliced bread! It felt like something new and exciting was happening all the time. I havn't touch my Wiz in months, I'm just wondering if others feel the same way? Do most of the talented developers just feel there is no future, and don't want to support a dead system? Hard feelings against GPH? Maybe it's all in my head! :blink:

Jumpman

maybe it's just that while the Wiz has a different form factor, it's just more of the same as far as general performance etc, the commercial companies get off on repackaging the same thing over and over, then selling to people again and again, but it isn`t much fun to keep on writing code over and over for what is almost the same device, forever, Pandora can really let you stretch your wings and go right out there, I am looking forward to getting mine, it will be nice to have something like the Amiga again.

Yes, I did the same about April when I realised the Pandora was not arriving anytime soon! The Wiz is a lovely device, still use it regularily, but there seems so little support or love for it by the community. Nothing like when the GP2X arrived.

A real shame.

sabregolly said:
Yes, I did the same about April when I realised the Pandora was not arriving anytime soon! The Wiz is a lovely device, still use it regularily, but there seems so little support or love for it by the community. Nothing like when the GP2X arrived.

A real shame.

I totaly agree!

Jumpman

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Wiz not long ago to tide me over while waiting for the Pandora and because my GP2X is almost dead (if I slightly touch the damn power switch it freezes everything). I have the exact same impression as you have.

I'm actually kind of regretting it now: the screen is too small for what I mainly used my GP2x for(reading ebooks). Movies that ran on the GP2x perfectly don't on the Wiz. The menu system/layout sucks and, due to the general lack of developer interest, it doesn't look like an alternative will appear any time soon(my beloved gMenu2x has been ported, but doesn't work properly). The Flash support is a joke. The ABXY buttons feel so cheap that I'm terrified I'm going to break them before the year is over.

The best thing about it is that Qtopia runs perfectly, and add to that the touch screen, and it's a great mini PDA thing. Also the mp3 player seems to play back better soundwise, but it's a shame that there is no equalizer.

Oops, sorry! I didn't mean to have a rant against the Wiz! The post just kind of went that way in the end :)

I think the general problem you face on the Wiz front is that there are so many alternative devices that flat out beats it to a pulp. I mean, it seems PSP would be more fit for homebrew if not only for it's fairly strong hardware, and you have iPhone to compete with now as well. Just take a look at this. It's a joke is what it is. It looks all well and fine but that's just until you realize that it's running at like 1/2 speed, and that's with the Wiz clocked at 800MHz. Then you have SNES emulation which I think works fine now but in the beginning barely even ran. It just seems like the device is out of its time and needs a complete do-over.

tl;dr: you see more interest in the pandora because it can do more things

Last edited by a moderator:
Back