Doing The Math

zRichi

Seeing as op are selling pandas at 270 English pounds...and they plan on selling ten thousand. That's like 2.7 million.

If they sell like hot cakes will op make more? Or had the toll on the op team been like ten thou and that's it

zRichi said:
Seeing as op are selling pandas at 270 English pounds...and they plan on selling ten thousand. That's like 2.7 million.

If they sell like hot cakes will op make more? Or had the toll on the op team been like ten thou and that's it

And... you don't think we also need to pay for parts and production?

In fact, the first batch did cost us a lot more than we got.
We HOPE to get that back at least with the second batch.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
zRichi said:

no! craig found the boards at a garden center! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
Parts, development of parts, development of the product it self, testing, transport and assembly. I don't see how you guys paid for it, honestly. I'm not getting a Panda in it's current incarnation, but I'm still supportive of the major achievement of actually producing it.

EvilDragon said:
I'm impressed that the calculations are that optimistic even. This is a small scale production, and with a limited number of buyers margins have to be set accordingly off course, but still you guys have invested a lot, not only in money, but also time, and effort.

zRichi said:
It's just a guess, but it feels likely that they would run production runs as long as they sell out reasonably fast. At a point where they have a couple of 100 units that slowly sold over 6 months I'm guessing they call it, and wont do any more unless they get pre-orders to cover costs. On the other hand, when everything is tweaked, everything is working as best it can, making a new batch isn't going to take that long...
B!

LeChuck87 said:
EvilDragon said:
zRichi said:

on his roof you mean :)

LeChuck87 said:
EvilDragon said:
zRichi said:

Just been down my local garden centre. No Pandoras :(

@borg - They can only climb up there once they're built.

Edit: to avoid double posting.

Well,

For whatever it is worth, I do plan on buying a second one once I receive my initial and everything checks out. Really, it is my fantasy handheld, so I want a second one I can use for daily wear.

As well, many in my programmer social circle are really interested, but are playing the wait and see with my pandora. Some, I really believe, will order from a subsequent batch once mine is in hand....

borgqueenx said:
LeChuck87 said:
EvilDragon said:
zRichi said:

on his roof you mean :)

well, like iphone prototypes, they can be found everywhere! 5 mins ago i found one in my kitchen...

authoreyes said:
Well,

For whatever it is worth, I do plan on buying a second one once I receive my initial and everything checks out. Really, it is my fantasy handheld, so I want a second one I can use for daily wear.

As well, many in my programmer social circle are really interested, but are playing the wait and see with my pandora. Some, I really believe, will order from a subsequent batch once mine is in hand....

pretty much the same thing here, I'm waiting to see how well it works before ordering a 2nd one for my wife.
and a lot of my friends want to see it.

I doubt OP will have trouble filling orders for a 2nd batch if even only half the ppl in the 1st batch are in the same situation.

not many, audio player, video player, 3D game system, USB, wifi, bluetooth, 3G capable (with a usb dongle), ultra-portable, DS-sized computers all-in-one on the market.
and for whatever it doesn't have the horsepower for, with an net connection you can always ssh/vnc to some more powerfull linux/bsd/macosx/*nix box.
the potential is nuts.

add a VOIP service + 3G usb dongle and you got yourself a cellphone.

I see it as the swiss knife for geeks :D

sorry, went a bit OT here

LeChuck87 said:
EvilDragon said:
zRichi said:

I hear the LCDs ... fell off a truck. Craig knows a guy.

I'll buy 8 more if they turn out okay, and once the back-order has been filled. All my family want one.

The only thing that would stop me from buying one, is the cost. I find it reasonable, but I don't have enough still. And I agree that after the first batch, sales should increase as people see them and it becomes more publicized.

EvilDragon said:
zRichi said:

Ah, now I feel the need to buy from the second batch.

My first order was actually for two but I had to cut one off because of hard times. I was planning on getting one from the second batch if things picked up for me.

EvilDragon said:
zRichi said:

Did zRichi edit his post or are you answering another question?

I think he's asking if you will produce more Pandora's after the initial 10k if they sell well or that will be it.

Personally I hope you guys make a crapload of money and sell silly amounts of them. :)

You need to know the cost on batch2 is going up. It's not possible to make and sell a small production omap3 device with these specs for $330.

That's why things like the iPhone cost so much. They use similar tech, actually we have more in our device.

You want the best you have to pay for it!

However, when you get your Pandora you will understand the awesomeness and why it is expensive.

craigix said:
However, when you get your Pandora you will understand the awesomeness and why it is expensive.
I hope the late 3000s folks can understand that soon.

Klarth said:
craigix said:
I hope the late 3000s folks can understand that soon.
First batch is about 4000, and all those paid already. High price is for newcomers.

craigix said:
You need to know the cost on batch2 is going up. It's not possible to make and sell a small production omap3 device with these specs for $330.

That's why things like the iPhone cost so much. They use similar tech, actually we have more in our device.

You want the best you have to pay for it!

I have said many times in the past I would have paid $500.00 for this device(and I still would). If the team has to raise the next batch to $400, I think they should. It is a wonderful device, and you get a lot for the funds. Most current devices with comparable specs cost twice as much, unless you get it with a phone contract, which is a new form of slavery if you ask me(LOL) :lol: .

This is really the best device of it's kind, PERIOD! When the PS3 was released it was a very good buy at the 600-700 dollars that sony was asking. The problem was that it was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Sadly, blu-ray was new, and most consumers didn't see the value at the time. Now that it is 300 dollars, it is flying off store shelves, and cathing up to the 360. Why? because you get twice the machine, at the same cost as the competition.

I think if people sit down, and really look at what you get, it is a no brainer! At 330 the Pandora is a steal! If anyone is on the fence, go for it. The wait is really the only ligitimate complaint anyone can have.

Chris

Back