Doom V10 Test Release 3

Guyfawkes

Certified Idiot :)
Website
www.emuholic.com
Good news, save bug seems to be fixed! This is still a test release as I need feedback on the save/load to be sure that it is working, I have saved and loaded many times and had no problems so hopefully it is 100% working :)

This release is also cleanup release fixing some minor bugs which have been suggested by Drumaster who has been helping with testing.

- Nice performance increase
- Added option to switch between Original/FLU/BLU and BLU+ type GP32's. Existing Doom users should delete the DOOM.OPT file in the /GAME/DOOM folder and then when loading for the first time change the options for your GP32 and it will save the correct setting for your GP32. You won't need to change it again after that. NOTE: You may need to restart once after making any changes to the GP32 type.
- First time Doom is run it will default to 'Original GP32' type as these are more common than BLU+. Simply change this setting to BLU+ if you have one.
- Fixed Nightmare difficulty bug and related input problems. Nightmare difficulty can now be played, have fun :)
- Fixed canceling Quit (or any other Yes/No confirmation screen) and returning to game and B is not working. BTW: On confirmation screen: B=Yes, START=No
- Fixed skip to level 31 and 32 select bug for DOOM2.WAD, TNT.WAD and PLUTONIA.WAD
- Redone the menus a bit, theres a lot more space for other settings I am planning to add.

Outstanding bugs etc
- weapon change movement bug
- fullscreen not flashing red when hit etc
- gamma fix for blu/blu+ ?
- tearing on blu+ ?

You can download this new release here, please reply here with any bugs you find and I will look into them.

GP Doom is now so good on GP32, so far better than the Z version. :)

Thanx for your hard work Craig and Guyfawkes. ;)

Happy to betatest for you. :)

Great!
Maybe you can tell me what's wrong if doom crashes at the end of each level in Doom1...? It works fine on my PC, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the WAD. Doom 2 works fine, btw.

//Talyz Prower

Not sure why its doing that, might be corrupted on your SMC or something, tried my WAD and ends the level ok. Have you given the WAD to anyone else to try?

Talyz posted on Feb 19 2005 at 05:12 PM said:
Great!
Maybe you can tell me what's wrong if doom crashes at the end of each level in Doom1...? It works fine on my PC, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the WAD. Doom 2 works fine, btw.

//Talyz Prower
:blink:

I retried Doom I with the new Doom build and no crash for me.

Retry the old v9 build 50 version of GP Doom available here and tell us if you still have this strange problem.

Otherwise try to replace your IWAD, it must be corrupted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Works smoothly than the v9 at the same speed. By the moment i didn't have any problems, well, just a bug that makes Doom 2 crash sometimes at the second level, when you try to open the cell where the guy with the shotgun is, it sometimes crashes there, but it happened in the v9 as well.

Great work Guyfawkes and craigix, you just damn rock.

xSlipKoRnx posted on Feb 19 2005 at 06:48 PM said:
Works smoothly than the v9 at the same speed. By the moment i didn't have any problems, well, just a bug that makes Doom 2 crash sometimes at the second level, when you try to open the cell where the guy with the shotgun is, it sometimes crashes there, but it happened in the v9 as well.

The bug in the level 2 of Doom 2 is only due to some Doom 2 IWADs, take mine on my site and it won't crash in this level anymore. :)

Drumaster posted on Feb 19 2005 at 06:55 PM said:
xSlipKoRnx posted on Feb 19 2005 at 06:48 PM said:

The bug in the level 2 of Doom 2 is only due to some Doom 2 IWADs, take mine on my site and it won't crash in this level anymore. :)
Downloading the iwad from your site. Thanks man :)

I'm afraid I still can't save the game. It appears to work, but when I try to reload all it shows me is empty slots. Also, the config file doesn't appear to be working. I have to switch to BLU+ mode each time I run the game. The .opt file gets recreated every time I delete it, but only seems to hold the default settings.

EDIT: Ignore the above, I've just realised my SMC is corrupted. The Plutonia folder is reported as 72Gb in size! I'll Re-format and try again.

Otherwise, it runs like a dream. It's this sort of project I bought my GP32 for and I'm not disappointed.

System: BLU+
WADs: Ulimate Doom collection (Doom, Doom 2, Plutonia and TNT)

I noticed a little bug. When you press select, sometimes (very rarely) it makes up stick, as in you start moving up. The PC version had this problem too, though.

BigRed - Not sure what this problem is as it should definately update the .OPT file, the SMC isnt write protected as its creating a new file so it isnt that. If possible can you try a different SMC? Also try Doom v9 and see if the saves work on that, you will get the BLU+ error but it should at least tell me if its a problem with the v10 test builds.

Blah - Its similar to the weapon changing bug, the problem seems to happen if you press a direction then let go of the button and while the character is slowing down from walking or running press SELECT etc. he will continue moving by himself. I am looking to fix this problem soon as it can be very annoying.

I fixed the bar on the second release it works nice, the blu+ screen tears a bit though but it is the correct VGA brightness so you can play without enhanced mode.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Is the BLU+ GPDoom brightness different from the normal BLU one or is it the BLU+ screen that is clearer?

Fantastic work Craig and Drummaster - credits to the community!

However (and I feel like I'm being petty) but the save games don't work on extra WADS - I've tried saving my game on the Doom64 and Quake2 mods (as well as a few I downloaded off a Doom WAD site) but it just resets the GP32 without saving.

The save / loads work on Doom 2 though, which is the main thing! I assume you've sussed them for the official WADS but possibly not for the fanmade ones.

Anyway, otherwise runs like a dream - you've got my vote!

Paul

Eh wait, I only test GPDoom with Guyfawkes, didn't code anything, never. ;)

But yes saves work perfectly with IWADs (Doom I, Doom II, TNT, Plutonia) but seems to have problem with some PWADs (Duke GP, Doom64, Quake II).

I'm sure it will be fixed soon. ;)

Oh! OK - respect to you all anyway. I'm sure testing can be gruelling enough!

I'll keep watching the forums - Doom64 seems like a fantastic mod, otherwise I wouldn't be too fussed.

Hello everyone ^^

I love Gpdoom but IMO the button mapping is not that good, can you consider this one?

A - fire
B - Strafe & run
SELECT - Open doors and activate buttons
L&R - change weapons

I think that L & R buttons on GP32 are not enough "accurate" for straffing :( I think this button mapping is much closer of the original Doom on Pc and it will be great if you can add it in a next release ^^ or at least giving the choice of button config in start menu.

Thanks you !!! ;) and sorry for my english, i'm not very familiar with it ^^

A - fire
B - Strafe (when pressed, then D-pad), run and activate
SELECT - Unused (Guyfawkes > no bug with it any longer ;))
L&R - change weapons

This config would be better than yours shikigami I think, more convenient and SELECT is actually causing trouble when pressed if a weapon is changed when you are walking, and it turns off the BLU light.

Having the possibility to choose between these 2 configurations would be great.

Back