Doom V10 Test Release 3

Its possible to add different configs via the bootmenu, thats no problem. The problem is that the B button is controlling strafing and running at the same time so this would mean when running you would not be able to turn left/right. Also SELECT would still be used to activate the Map (START+SELECT).

I like the idea though it does seem a bit more logical this way so I will take a look at the controls code tomorrow and see what can be done. I will also see about this movement bug with SELECT.

About the saves, basically its still buggered :) If you are playing the official wads then you *shouldnt* have a problem, its luck if custom wads work or not as DukeGP works fine on mine but doesnt on Drumasters (we have exact same file). Hopefully this problem can be sorted out this week as its really starting to annoy me and making me loose interest in the project again.

Damn I didn't think about that... it would be possible to turn left/right with this config while pressing B button...
The only way is to release B but we wouldn't be able to turn left/right QUICKLY. :(

Anyway I prefer the actual key config.

Drumaster posted on Feb 20 2005 at 02:54 PM said:
Is the BLU+ GPDoom brightness different from the normal BLU one or is it the BLU+ screen that is clearer?

I think it is just the old setting for brightness.

I don't think the gamma has been fixed yet. A corrected gamma would have a better black level then it does now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Incredible speed!!!!

How the f*ck did you do that.

It runs great @40mhz with sound and without music!! :huh:

The 486 couldnt do that by far!!
MAYBE a pentium if a p40 was ever released. (p60 was the slowest of course)

Thanks Guyfawkes!!! ^^

It's not a problem that u can't turn while runing, just stop running ans turn ^^

It can't be worse than the actual button mapping Imo ^^ I just can't strafe correctly for now...

I hope u will work on it quickly, I can't wait !!!!! ^^

cozmic > Do you really think it runs well at 40 Mhz with sound, even without music? :unsure:
I understand now why some people say "fs3 is very smooth!" in some emus. :)

shikigami > Turning left/right QUICKLY is very important when your back is being shooted, releasing B button to turn slowly is crappy I think.

I think it runs pretty smooth then yes. i guesss 'bout 11fps??

OKOK it's not really smooth but i think its a lot for only 40mhz

For 40 Mhz it's not so bad yes, but only in Doom I.
Doom 2 and others are nearly unplayable at this speed.

I consider it's not really smooth below 20 fps and not smooth at all below 15 fps.

Just my opinion. ;)

Anyway this release is smoother yes and I'm very happy of that. :)

Tom, Craig, Rob and Guyfawkes made a great work.

thank you guys... guyfawkes drumaster craigix and anyone else involved in finally bringing a fully functionally doom to the BLU+.

I've said so many times, that a perfect running doom was one off the top few reasons I finally broke down and bought a BLU, only to feel I got shafted my $200 when I found out I got a BLU+, but now with this fix (along with great running Genesis and TG16 emulators) my BLU is now 99% 'complete', for me, in that I can play and enjoy these things.

I been harping on Craigix for a long time to get this out :D for a while seemed I was the only one who cared enough to gripe about it... but well... thx guys for finally getting around to it.

now if only someone could create/update/release another PCE emu with functioning saves, that last 1% would be cleared and my GP would be perfect!

Not in a proper coding mood today so to try and motivate myself I added some new CPU settings, these are not needed for the majority of WADs but a couple such as Eternal Doom III run at ~14FPS at 166Mhz. So I done some very quick tests and overclocking to 230Mhz runs the game at around 30FPS. Great if your GP32 can get this high :) I will add a few in between CPU speeds later on if your GP32 can do 180Mhz etc. Remember this is only really needed for CPU intensive WADs as it will drain your battery very fast.

I looked into the idea for alternative controls, I am not sure how well it will work to be honest. I put this on my list of things to do but its not top priority at the moment.

I dunno I personally love the controls the way they are, it's almost identical to the GBA versions which I played the hell out of.

Been really diggin playing this now and saving seems to work perfectly.

Guyfawkes, I'm with DaveC on the gamma issue. It's the only other thing I think could really be improved... the blacks aren't black enough, and the game looks kinda washed out. The 'original PC brightness' setting is definately the better setting, the GP enhanced version is washed out much worse.

The only other complaint I have is on the GP hardware itself... this joypad sucks for playing doom :p I know some people have mentioned their diagonals barely work or not at all... mine are way too sensitive, it's almost impossible to just run straight!

I have no problems controlling doom going straight or anything else. The original control scheme is fine too.

The gamma it too bright still, I guess the save bug is more important though.

Guyfawkwes, do you still plan on fixing the black level?

DaveC posted on Feb 22 2005 at 06:51 PM said:
I have no problems controlling doom going straight or anything else. The original control scheme is fine too.

remember us non lit users too

I like the non lit cause it clocks doom really well

the gamma seems fine on my unit (glass screen mod) any darker and it would be like playing the wolf 3d engine!

sPaCe :ph34r:

spaceboygp32x posted on Feb 26 2005 at 01:23 PM said:
I have no problems controlling doom going straight or anything else.  The original control scheme is fine too.

the gamma seems fine on my unit (glass screen mod) any darker and it would be like playing the wolf 3d engine!

Not darker, just more contrast. Byt having the black true black it makes colors stand out better , Especially on the BLU.

DaveC posted on Feb 26 2005 at 05:57 PM said:
spaceboygp32x posted on Feb 26 2005 at 01:23 PM said:
I have no problems controlling doom going straight or anything else.  The original control scheme is fine too.

Not darker, just more contrast. Byt having the black true black it makes colors stand out better , Especially on the BLU.

ok - ill go for that (i can always use the older beta's)

I have fallen in love with doom again!!

I have the tearing issue pretty badly as well. You can see it just about any time you turn, especially when standing still. I have a BLU+. Different clockspeeds dont seem to affect this, for what that's worth.

Also, does anyone else have THIS bug? Whenever I try to run Ultimate Doom (Doom.wad), it runs fine but when I start a new game I can only select the first three out of the four episodes that are supposed to be there. It's odd because a) when I first start the game and the title screen comes up, it does say "The Ultimate Doom", but at the starting menu, the GP specific one where you set your screen or whatever, it only lists it as commercial Doom, and B) when I play this wad on my PC (also on my Xbox) all four episodes show up. What am I doing wrong?

Its supposed to be named UDOOM.wad, and I think only some versions work right. The naming is part of how DOOM detects what wad it is for the commericial wads.

I might be completely wrong about the different versions of wad, though...maybe there was only one version.

EDIT: Yeah, it was DOOMU.wad. UDOOM.wad was typo.

I tried renaming it Udoom.wad and it didn't make a difference, it didn't show up in the menu as Ultimate Doom, instead it now shows up as just UDOOM (originally it was just named Commercial Doom) but only the same three episodes show up.

Well the thing that bothers me is that I swear I got all four episodes to show up once but I dont remember how.

This is all using the same wad, I only have one Doom.wad and that is the Ultimate Doom... again if I play it on the PC or on my Xbox all four show up.

sweeeeeeet.... thanks for the tip Drumaster that did the trick beautifully, the fourth episode shows up now!

Back