Doom V10 Test Release 3

Drumaster posted on Feb 28 2005 at 06:09 PM said:

I have used version 9 for a while now

what are the differences i should see with version 10

is it any faster at 144mhz (i run at that cause 156 is too fast IMHO)

i just cant tell once I start blastin!

sPaCe :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
spaceboygp32x posted on Feb 28 2005 at 10:08 PM said:
Drumaster posted on Feb 28 2005 at 06:09 PM said:

I have used version 9 for a while now

what are the differences i should see with version 10

is it any faster at 144mhz (i run at that cause 156 is too fast IMHO)

i just cant tell once I start blastin!

sPaCe :ph34r:
Yes it's faster and has bugs fixed (B button related). :)

I'm as pleased as punch with it all so far.. Mine isn't a complaint or criticism or a suggestion, but just noticed that the quit prompt still has 'Press "Y" to quit'. Any way to make the game advise pressing "B" to quit?

Noticed the black/shadows situation but PC brightness seems to work for it.

Winterkid posted on Mar 3 2005 at 04:42 AM said:
I'm as pleased as punch with it all so far.. Mine isn't a complaint or criticism or a suggestion, but just noticed that the quit prompt still has 'Press "Y" to quit'. Any way to make the game advise pressing "B" to quit?

PC brightness is better but still too washed out.

Have you noticed any save bugs? Guyfawkes said that there is still the save bug for other wads except for the original doom 1,2.

DaveC posted on Mar 3 2005 at 04:59 AM said:
Winterkid posted on Mar 3 2005 at 04:42 AM said:
I'm as pleased as punch with it all so far.. Mine isn't a complaint or criticism or a suggestion, but just noticed that the quit prompt still has 'Press "Y" to quit'.  Any way to make the game advise pressing "B" to quit?

PC brightness is better but still too washed out.

Have you noticed any save bugs? Guyfawkes said that there is still the save bug for other wads except for the original doom 1,2.
Saves work fine for IWADs (Doom I, II, Plutonia and TNT), but crash with some PWADs (Duke Nukem GP on my GP, Quake II, Doom64 and certainly some other one).

I haven't tried to save games from any PWADs yet. Truth be told, the only PWAD I've played on it, is the SKYBASE.WAD I created and it seemed to play almost flawlessly, with the exception of a slight slowdown in the reactor room, from all the two-sided textures and 4 moving "piston" sectors, even in a small room, bogs down the engine a tad.

I'll save with it and see if it loads properly.

thanks for the feedback so far. for the moment all work on doom from me is on hold while I work on another of my projects this month. hopefully by the time its finished the save bug will be sorted out then I can continue work on Doom. All the minor reported bugs should be fixed and I will also have a go at the gamma settings and the movement bug.

Interestingly, YoYo appears to be porting ZDoom to the Zodiac. Its a much improved version of Doom and has support for Heretic and Hexen amongst many other things. Would be very cool to see this on GP32 :)

Guyfawkes posted on Mar 4 2005 at 04:24 PM said:
thanks for the feedback so far. for the moment all work on doom from me is on hold while I work on another of my projects this month. hopefully by the time its finished the save bug will be sorted out then I can continue work on Doom. All the minor reported bugs should be fixed and I will also have a go at the gamma settings and the movement bug.

Interestingly, YoYo appears to be porting ZDoom to the Zodiac. Its a much improved version of Doom and has support for Heretic and Hexen amongst many other things. Would be very cool to see this on GP32 :)

Yeah, YoYo is going really mental on the Palm/Zodiac now. Makes me think he will never return to the GP32. A few recent post asking about the GP32 have gone un-answered. Oh well what can you do.

If you don't add support for Hexen on the GP32 then it will never have it I guess.

Hexen on the GP would be super sugar sweet, really, have to wonder about Look-Up, Look-down and the fly controls though. That would be tough to work with.

Heretic would probably be a lot easier, naturally.

i dont under stand how to make the /game/doom file. it says i can only have a file name with 8 characters. can some one help me with this. i got v9 into my gp 32 but i dont know what to do with the wads. thanx

niteowl74 posted on Mar 23 2005 at 09:43 AM said:
i dont under stand how to make the /game/doom file. it says i can only have a file name with 8 characters. can some one help me with this. i got  v9 into my gp 32 but i dont know what to do with the wads. thanx
First of all take the V10 beta 3 version here.

Then create a folder called "DOOM" in "GAME" one and put all your WADs inside it. ;)

Now you can launch doom.fxe. ;)

Drumaster, your site is down? i've two doom2.wad with the same bug problem on the second level :rolleyes:

Edit: sorry, i've read now who you change the url soon :p

Buy Final Doom work?

i realize how mega-old this topic is, just giving it a bump :rolleyes: first, big up to guyfawkes and craigx for bringing doom as far as it has come on th gp32!!! after trying all the fps, this is the only one i'm keeping on an smc :ph34r:

on the topic of controls ... what about an "always run" option? i'm thrown back to my days of taping the shift key down for slaughter fests, only now if i tape B down i can't open doors B) ... of course, with "always run=on" holding B down could turn run off for those tightrope situations.

also, i know that doom on gb, etc, used L+R sholder pads for straif, but after playing metroid on the nds and a few FPS on playstation @ a friends house, i prefer to have my dpad/stick dedicated entirely to movement (forward and back would remain the same, but left and right on the dpad become straif) ... then using shoulder pads for look.

seeing how old this thread is, i wonder if we'll see another version of doom ... but if we do, i'm praying for an always run ... and hoping for a control-selection ... ;)

Back