Dosbox Caanoo - Working Games

Klumpen said:
Any possibility to run

"Dreamweb",

"Civilisation 1"?

Might be better off using UAE and play the amiga versions of these 2 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Klumpen said:
Cpuotaku22 said:
Thanks for the site, I will be sure to check it out. Have you gotten Dark legions working on the caanoo?
I have mounted the cd as a subdirectory in the conf, but it hangs on the load screen, even without it. :/

mount D "./games/dlegions/cd" -t cdrom

Maybe my conf isn't quite correct, even if i don't find the problem.

No, your doing it correct I get the same result. It hangs at the dreaded protected mode runtime.

I have been looking into the dosbox problems - I have put a version compiled for Caanoo on the handhelds archive:
dosbox
The main difference is that the output type used must be overlay. This solved some crashes where the screen was bigger than 320x240...
well in any case..try it out and let me know how it fares....

cheers,

sepulep said:
I have been looking into the dosbox problems - I have put a version compiled for Caanoo on the handhelds archive:
dosbox
The main difference is that the output type used must be overlay. This solved some crashes where the screen was bigger than 320x240...

cheers,

Great Job ! I was wondering if it would be possible to port this over to the Wiz as well.

I can confirm the version just posted works with Might and Magic 3, but its a bit slow and fiddly.
(May need additional tweaking to get it to run right. I copied most of the Good Old Games settings, and it was a bit quicker, but not quite there yet)

Hello,

i have problems to change the controls for the game prince. I changed the mapper.txt, but it was wrong. Can me please help to write this in mapper.txt:

A=256,B=258,X=259,Y=257,L=260,R=261,
home=262,hold=263,stick=266,I=264,II=265

(Sorry for my English)

LTStone said:
sepulep said:
dosbox

cheers,

Great Job ! I was wondering if it would be possible to port this over to the Wiz as well.
I don't have a Wiz - but the diff is in the archive file, so somebody who has can test this.. (might have a look later)

RetroVortex said:
I can confirm the version just posted works with Might and Magic 3, but its a bit slow and fiddly.
(May need additional tweaking to get it to run right. I copied most of the Good Old Games settings, and it was a bit quicker, but not quite there yet)
let me know if you have any suggestions for the controls or so...speed wise: I am not sure if the compiled version is the most optimized version possible, for the settings I find that it works best if you set the number of cycles to a fixed number (rather than auto or max) that is not too high (800-1200 range, maybe higher if overclocking), frame skipping as high as you can bear (2 or 3) and most basic sound setup (sb1 with fast opl simulation, low (11025) mixer rates etc)

Faanoo said:
Hello,

i have problems to change the controls for the game prince. I changed the mapper.txt, but it was wrong. Can me please help to write this in mapper.txt:

A=256,B=258,X=259,Y=257,L=260,R=261,
home=262,hold=263,stick=266,I=264,II=265

(Sorry for my English)
I am sorry, maybe this is confusing: the above are the key codes dosbox sees if you press a button on the caanoo, the mapper gives the translation, if for example you want to have a press on the caanoo's A button to work as a press on the spacebar: you would add the line
key_space "key 256"
to mapper.txt ( start with the included mapper.txt, and leave everything below the third line, the one that says key_left "key 269" in place these are necessary for
the on screen keyboard)

(oops :blink: I see the first 4 numbers may be wrong:
A=256,B=258,X=257,Y=259)

sepulep said:
dosbox

cheers,

Thank you so much sepulep! I will test it out.

ps. I have been really busy.

horchacha said:
thanks so much - having alleycat and duke nuke em has made my caanoo complete - is there a faq on setting things up on the caanoo via not using explorer? lol

1. Copy all dosbox game folder separately to you game folder on the sd card(be sure to include the dosbox file in each game folder and COPYING file also the patch file and .ttf ).
2. Copy all .ini files to the game folder of your sd card.

3. Configure the .ini file

Ex.
alleycat.png

ps. Make sure to name the information file the same name as the game folder your working on.

4.Edit the .gpe file

Ex.
alleycat1.png

5.Edit the dosbox.conf file

Ex.
alleycat2.png

All should work!

hey thanks so much for that - very helpful! after playing biomen & duke nuke em for a few hours i really wanted to play alleycat. i'm having a hardtime with the key mapper. in the game you need to put up and right to jump - or up and left. is there a way to configure the joystick to do this ? because in my limited capacity feel i have tried everything! i appreciate it! i love them mousies

dave

Cpuotaku22 said:
Klumpen said:
Any possibility to run
"Dreamweb",
Dreamweb - nice game(Could not get it to run on the caanoo)
Most games play really well so far, it's just a matter of configuring the controls(especially the mouse) and a speed boost for some games.

Dreeamweb works as long as you increase the memsize value.
However it's really slow. I'm not sure how to use the config file to get the best performance from games.
Is there a break down of what should be changed and by what values when trying to get games to work at a playable speed?

horchacha said:
hey thanks so much for that - very helpful! after playing biomen & duke nuke em for a few hours i really wanted to play alleycat. i'm having a hardtime with the key mapper. in the game you need to put up and right to jump - or up and left. is there a way to configure the joystick to do this ? because in my limited capacity feel i have tried everything! i appreciate it! i love them mousies

dave
Hi, with the following mapper Alleycat sort of works (put the cycles really low. 200 or so - sound is a bit strange) but the on screen keyboard doesn't seem to work - not sure why.. OUCH I see there is a small bug in the code for loading the fonts :(

key_lalt "key 258"
key_n "key 257"
key_k "key 256"
key_left "key 269"
key_right "key 270"
key_up "key 267"
key_down "key 268"
key_kp_7 "key 271"
key_kp_9 "key 272"
key_kp_1 "key 273"
key_kp_3 "key 274"

btw: press the II to disable the stick mouse emulation

foleyjo said:
Cpuotaku22 said:
Klumpen said:
Any possibility to run
"Dreamweb",
Dreamweb - nice game(Could not get it to run on the caanoo)
Most games play really well so far, it's just a matter of configuring the controls(especially the mouse) and a speed boost for some games.

Dreeamweb works as long as you increase the memsize value.
However it's really slow. I'm not sure how to use the config file to get the best performance from games.
Is there a break down of what should be changed and by what values when trying to get games to work at a playable speed?

i think the main things are the core and cycles setting - first one you can choose one of dynamic,simple normal; cycles should be normally
something like 600-1000, if it is too high things like sound start suffering first .. (some games like it very low, like 200)
a good indication of whether a game will run decently is the year it was made ..if it much after 1990-1991 I think you will struggle with the current version :(

Thanks sepulep.

I had a quick play with the settings you said and with cycles at 200 I got perfect sound but the game slowed down too much.
I think the main problem with dosbox is all the file editing that needs doing. It would be nice to have some way of doing it on the fly. Or at least a way to do it on the caanoo before launching the game.

Maybe a dosbox frontend which allows you to pick the best settings, assign keys, and select the file that will be used to launch the game.
The front end could edit the config files and then launch dosbox

The messing about trying to find the right settings is the main reason I go to other emulators for the game even if it's an inferior version

foleyjo said:
Thanks sepulep.

I had a quick play with the settings you said and with cycles at 200 I got perfect sound but the game slowed down too much.
I think the main problem with dosbox is all the file editing that needs doing. It would be nice to have some way of doing it on the fly. Or at least a way to do it on the caanoo before launching the game.

Maybe a dosbox frontend which allows you to pick the best settings, assign keys, and select the file that will be used to launch the game.
The front end could edit the config files and then launch dosbox

The messing about trying to find the right settings is the main reason I go to other emulators for the game even if it's an inferior version
well, I agree it is a bit of a pain right know - I don't know of any easily portable frontend for dosbox (AFAIK there is no frontend with e.g. only SDL prerequisites)...

well, I agree it is a bit of a pain right know - I don't know of any easily portable frontend for dosbox (AFAIK there is no frontend with e.g. only SDL prerequisites)...
[/quote]

How about this?
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/47004-dosbox-blast-20-a-new-version-of-dosbox-config-wizard/

Or wasn't there a program called dos navigator or commander for the Dingoo?

Back