Release DosBox EX - Ultimate

6d1f772274ec8ac65aa4e90365e6271899.png

but the boxes to save changes via custom mapper are still hidden in xfce, only the upper pixels are visible.
hmm.. damn XFCE. I hate it.. 

I am sorta curious here.

This is an emulator, right...not an alternate OS?

I curious what file extensions it takes on PC games, does it run commodore, IBM, TRS-80?

Is there a site to get some free games for this which are okay to have, i.e. no copyright restrictions?  A site like PDROMS for example?

It only provides an emulated IBM compatible MSDOS environment. The normal DOSBOX only gives you a DOS prompt and you need to install the games like you would on a typical DOS era PC. I typically end up copying the game files from my old Windows 95/98 era PC to the SD card. This version has some kind of automation to the install process.. I've never used this version personally, so maybe someone else can fill you in on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorta curious here.

This is an emulator, right...not an alternate OS?

I curious what file extensions it takes on PC games, does it run commodore, IBM, TRS-80?

Is there a site to get some free games for this which are okay to have, i.e. no copyright restrictions?  A site like PDROMS for example?
It's an emulator for MS-DOS with a good graphical interface (thanks to commander-beef).

Here you got 50 DOS games for it, packed by a German IT-magazine and now freeware:

http://www.chip.de/downloads/50-DOS-Games-Monsterpack_51404038.html

PS: Mind the new rom thread for DosBox Ex Ultimate.

OK, I might have to try this out, but I am probably gonna need some help as it looks like it may be a touch complicated.

At least for an idiot like me.

It mayble looks complicated, but its not. Thats the whole purpose of DosBox EX. Just run the pnd and from beginning you'll be able to play in 5 bundled games. Dont afraid to try it.. 

Im here to help You, if you need help :D

if you would like to quickly add new game from DXZ installer just follow instructions from:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15011-game-installers-for-dosbox-ex-ultimate//URL]

If you would like to add game without installer, manually.. just give us info.. we will help :D

Anyone tried Monster Bash ? It's really slow.

I'd might try it soon

It is downloadable as Shareware here:

http://www.3drealms.com/bash/

This is a funny part when read in 2013 :D

No Apogee game has ever had as many gruesome graphics as Monster Bash, with over EIGHT MEGS of animated/scrolling EGA graphics in all three episodes.
If monster bash is slow, there might be something wrong. The one I packaged for ed runs pretty good with pickles dosbox binary and notaz sdl.
Tried it, it's clearly faster on your version.

It mayble looks complicated, but its not. Thats the whole purpose of DosBox EX. Just run the pnd and from beginning you'll be able to play in 5 bundled games. Dont afraid to try it.. 

Im here to help You, if you need help :D

if you would like to quickly add new game from DXZ installer just follow instructions from:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15011-game-installers-for-dosbox-ex-ultimate//URL]

If you would like to add game without installer, manually.. just give us info.. we will help :D
Thanks.

It's on my list to try out.

I'll just need some direction on where to get some good games that interest me.  A few sources have thus far been provided, but, since I can't really read German, I do not know what games are actually included (and, more to the point, if they are in English.)

I downloaded that monster 50 pack from the German site, which is referred to earlier...had a look inside the zip, looks to be a few good ones in there, especially if Digger is the one I hope it is...the one from Windmill Software...

Just added the feature to automount A: floppy when in game dir a directory 'floppy' [with floppy data content] is found.

I needed this for Bruce Lee Lives which need A: drive to install itself to C: drive :p

This should be handy to install windows 3.11 and AFAIR Larry 6

Some pre-90s games will require this, as well..

Just added the feature to automount A: floppy when in game dir a directory 'floppy' [with floppy data content] is found.
That is handy..

Although for Leisure Suit Larry 6, I found ScummVM plays it fine on the Pandora. Leisure Suit Larry 7, however isn't supported by scummVM and I still use DosBox for that.. it works better than my attempts with Qemu.

Found a bug in experimental mode.

For some late Dos games you need to change "memsize" to "64"

This works via advanced options in normal mode but not in experimental.

Is there any reason to not set standard "memsize=64" (or 128)

and "aspect=true" (deletes the black borders on top and bottom) anyway?

PS: Has anyone managed to get "Worms United" running?

I have CD- and GoG-version.

Found a bug in experimental mode.

For some late Dos games you need to change "memsize" to "64"

This works via advanced options in normal mode but not in experimental.

Is there any reason to not set standard "memsize=64" (or 128)

and "aspect=true" (deletes the black borders on top and bottom) anyway?

PS: Has anyone managed to get "Worms United" running?

I have CD- and GoG-version.
as far is i remember dosbox team downgraded mem from 128 to 32 max, so only DAUM builds have it enabled. 

i need to test a little bit more games with aspect=true, how will they behave in standard dosbox version

Back