DraStic Nintendo DS emulator teaser video

So my suggestion is to release it.

Ignore the moaners (those will always be there) and let yourself be motivated by the guys who enjoy it :)
+1 from me, just be clear when you release it that you consider it an early Beta & that there is little point expecting broad compatibility / creating a compatibility list. Overall though it is of course your call and you should only release it when you're content to let it be used by the masses.

As much as i would love to see this in Android already, being it in the state Exophase explains it could be hell for him if he released it for Android. Noobs would flood him with loads of nonsense.

That said, i think the situation/education in the open pandora comunity is quite different and instead it could lead to a quicker development on the tracking bug side. At least i have faith it could be that way :D

Maybe i am the one talking nonsense, but for example in Mupen64 AE the developers were thinking about implementing a bug tracker inside the app that can submit info directly to them.

I vote for the Release early, release often strategy. Since your ultimate goal is an Android/iOS release, you may as well get the most out of feedback from the Pandora community. Stick a big enough disclaimer on it, and I'm sure we'll be able to handle it.

I guess at this point I'd like to hear some feedback on what the community wants right now. I don't want people to feel like I'm letting them down or breaking a promise, so I'll at least keep that in mind as  I decide what I want to do.. but I'm also going to proceed cautiously and deliberately like I tend to.
I would like to note -- I doubt anyone could be let down; its your baby, your work, and you're a talented guy. If you stopped now, you still would have shown what could have been, which is pretty awesome :)

There are different kinds of people; if you release early, to the point that maybe 4 games would work at all, and 900 will not.. there are people who would love that; the kind who would eat it up, enjoy the hunt for those 4, and would try every release, and love to see it grow; there are others who want to see a proper beta release, anything else will frustrate them. Whats the ratio? Hard to say.. obviously in general there are more of the latter than the former, but our community is special...

Still, I'd say, release an alpha, with a big note up front in bold .. 'this is early, and not very workable, enjoy the hunt for what may work', leave it at that. Even a warning in the app first thing, for those who skip the posting or redist the file.

Don't post it wide, for sure.

Or don't release yet at all..

I'm of the release early/often crowd; keeps it exciting, at the cost of overhead.

You could let someone else worry over a wiki of compatability-versus-version matrix, so as not to kill yourself; you don't want to get drawn into 2 hours a day of PMs and forum posts, when you want to code :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Release it when you're ready. Give a binary to selected trusted community members, let them test for you and post teaser videos for the masses to drool over. When ready, release.

D.

First of all, i think we all know you have done great job so far and me, personally, i`d be more than happy if you could release an early beta to have a look and give a try. i think

Hey exophase, my suggestion would be not to worry too much about what others want until you feel your at the right place with development that way people can't complain about poor compatibility. There are some people that would be really good beta testers though - use them ask them to make videos for the rest of us etc as well as give u feedback and bug reports.

Keep up the good work. :)

Suggestion: Release early alpha, add a screen IN the emulator itself warning that it is an early release and very few games might work fullspeed but that it is work in progress and things might get better over while. That will be a clear message to those that expect an instantly perfect emulator.

That being said, the Pandora community is - as mentioned - very mature in the sense that it will understand much more than other scenes (PSP etc.) the difficulties in optimizing this emulator and still appreciate the whole lot of work that is being devoted.

Thus, I argue here not for a closed alpha as some here do but for an open one with an information message included, as I am sure a lot of people are eager to try it out or are just simply happy to be able to play Super Mario at (juding from notaz video) almost full speed when overclocked.

The feedback you will get as well as entering into the competition might also give you a big morale boost.

So, in that sense I have nothing else to say than:

Go for it!

^_^

Thanks for all of the feedback.

I think putting a disclaimer in is a good idea. Probably along with the compo log splash screen. I'm going to try to get that done in time, although I can't promise it.

I've spent a little bit of time looking through games in the NeoGAF DS thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049). Games that don't use the 3D engine for any portions are few and far between but I found at least some small number, and I've been trying them on the emulator. There are some bugs to fix and a few more optimizations I want to put in.

Great to hear.

There won't be trouble because it's an alpha state.

I happy with those few games that run.

@Exophase:

I loved the disclaimer that comes with VLC for Android: "This is a Beta release. This might very well start the apocalypse or kill your cat. Use at your own risk!"

Or on a lighter note:

"This is *Alpha* software. This might cause your screen to snap in half, snipping off your fingers in the process or cause other mayhem to you or your device"

Use at your own risk!

Honestly, we all know you are brilliant. 

You don't have to worry about your reputation if you release this now.

It's simply a matter of: do you want a prize or not? Because if you enter i have no doubt you'll win.

I'm a middle man.. wait until you've got a little polish. maybe at a state you'll be able to play and successfully complete a few select games.

Well i never had a ds so id enjoy mucking about with this emu.release new builds as you make them,as said add a large disclaimer.regular builds will keep interest high.

Realise it when you please, but know that the progress that you made already is huge in comparison with what the Pandora had in the past even if only a few games run at least is more then what we had previously.

And who knows you could even earn some Money, if you realise a version of it to android or applestore if you can mature the emulator well enaught.

Release it.

No one will be angered if something doesn't run.

You'll very likely win a prize in the competition, so it's no downside for you.

Also you'll make me happy even with only 2d games.

I'm a Yoshi lover and the video you showed with Yoshi's island is already great.

Maybe Lunar knights and children of mana and I'm happy for the first release.

The downside for me is all the work of preparing the release, but I've already been knee deep in that over the past few days so it's inevitable now. Just hope I can make the deadline. I'm not that worried though.

In the mean time - this emulator needs BIOS and firmware images so if you want to prepare get those ready. You need ARM9 and ARM7 BIOS and firmware, with these names and sizes:

Code:
nds_bios_arm7.bin  16KB

nds_bios_arm9.bin  4KB

nds_firmware.bin   256KB

You can dump them all from a real DS. If you dump the firmware you may bring over your DS settings..

I don't suppose you have a link to a program to dump the firmware that works from a slot 1 card?

I've managed to successfully dump the 2 bios files, but the program I found to do that didn't dump the firmware.

The only program I've come across so far that does, requires a slot 2 (GBA) flash cart which I don't have.

- Neelix

EDIT: never mind, I found one. :) I belatedly realised my search terms had specified bios instead of firmware.

Back