Release DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

Personally I find the Pandora version's GUI fine for Pandora, I don't want a heavily touch oriented GUI on a device with a keyboard.
This!

It's why I stray away from the emu EX plus emulators if I can personally.. I find the touch interface kind of disadvantageous.

^Right, but I hate the interface.. sure it can be controlled by the dpad and such.. but the thing that turns me off the most is no keyboard friendly filtered searches on file selection.. Takes me forever to find the rom I want if I have pages of them.

Heh, I've never used touch on the Shield for Drastic.  I always use the dpad and abxy buttons.  The gui Lordus made there is functional for both.

Last edited by a moderator:
But the Android version still cannot play DKJC while the Pandora version can :)
That doesn't sound right. What are you running it on? Do you have the threaded 3D option enabled or something?

New version of Drastic on Pandora runs fast! Yay! Pokemon Black 2 plays smooth as butter at 1.1GHz on latest Drastic which was a little stuttering in previous Drastic version.

The Android version has better GUI though. And it has filters too! :(
Filters aren't free. Just switching to using the GPU for output would be a big perf hit.

If Lordus wants to do a GUI for the Pandora version he can, I doubt he'll want to very much though :p Personally I find the Pandora version's GUI fine for Pandora, I don't want a heavily touch oriented GUI on a device with a keyboard. I can add more keyboard shortcuts if you think they'd be helpful.
Nope, I don't have 3D option enabled.  I completely uninstalled DraStic deleted Drastic folder from Internal storage.  I even reset my Shield to factory settings, reinstalled Drastic, but DKJC still didn't work. It runs but after the Nintendo logo,  no graphics whatsoever after that, just black screen.

I'm fine with the GUI in Pandora Drastic.  If there's a shortcut to rotate the screen that would be nice :)

Why aren't the filters free?

If you don't want to make a free full Pandora version then please make a paid PND with all the features of the Android version.

I dislike to get a cut down free version of something. Give me the option to pay for a full version.

If the Pandora simply is not powerful enough to do the scaling, then it's fine.

I believe when he says they aren't free he means that they carry a performance cost.    He could add them in but it would slow things down.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

- Neelix

I believe when he says they aren't free he means that they carry a performance cost.    He could add them in but it would slow things down.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

- Neelix
Yes, that. The seconds sentence there should have made it clear.

Mind you, they're all in Lordus's code for the Android version. I'm not crippling anything in the Pandora version but it's entirely my project, not Lordus's. If there's something that's in the Android version and not the Pandora one it usually means it's not my part of my code. That or it makes no sense on Pandora, like the threading options or 16-bit output.

It was pretty unclear to me then.

If not free means I have to pay speed then it's fine.

Thanks a lot for making it clear (and me happy again :) ).

After the Update of the Emulator, Pokemon Black 2 dos load up very fast now (bevore the update, in need about 30 seconds to start)

But the cheats dosnt seem to work now..

And GTA chinatown wars ditnt work, But as the is my CC Pandora, the shouldnt, be a Wonder. ..

Is anyone interested in testing DLDI support in a private beta? The support is very rudimentary - you need to display a fixed size FAT image and you need to patch the homebrew with R4 DLDI (or you need to use homebrew with native R4 support).

Here's the directions in advance for anyone who is interested, so you can go ahead of me in getting ready for it. Or just for anyone who is curious about how this is supposed to work.

1) First, you need a disk image, which you can make under Linux or similar (should work on the Pandora itself):

dd if=/dev/zero of=drastic_dldi.img bs=1M count=<size in MB> of=drastic_dldi.img
mkdosfs drastic_dldi.img
Then if you mount like so:

Code:
mkdir <mount directory>
sudo mount -t vfat drastic_dldi.img -o loop <mount directory>
You can throw files on it in a normal shell. Then umount with:

Code:
sudo umount <mount directory>
2) Then you have to patch the homebrew to use R4 DLDI or use something prepatched. You can do this with dlditool and r4tf.dldi, which can be found here:
http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/

And invoke:

dlditool r4ts.dldi <homebrew.nds>
3) Finally, put drastic_dldi.img in the DraStic appdata. It has to have that exact name. Make sure it's not mounted when you run the emulator.
The source to dlditool is available, at least in theory (the link on the site is dead.. it is in desmume AFAIK) so it should be possible to port it to Pandora. It'd be nice to have the app do the patching, not sure yet how involved that'll be, will probably release it like this first.

^What does this do?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_homebrew#DLDI

DS flash carts work with removable storage, usually SD cards. A library called libfat lets homebrew access and modify files on the SD card. Since different flash cards have different hardware interfaces a standard called DLDI was invented to abstract it. The homebrew is patched with a DLDI library which inserts the appropriate routines to access the card's hardware. These days most flash cart loaders will auto-patch homebrew with the DLDI library, but before this was the case you had to patch the homebrew yourself. And this is currently the case with DraStic.

What DraStic will do is emulate an R4 flash cart's SD card commands. These will access a virtual SD card image that you create outside of the emulator.

I am definitely up for this. If Knytt Stories can be finally run on the Pandora, my life will be complete.

D.

Back