Release DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

ekianjo tells that Time Hollow works till the end on DraStic, but for me it always crashes a little after the start of Episode 2...

(maybe the japanese version works better ? I'm using the Europe)

Anyone with the same issue ?

Also seems like the ingame saves doesn't works at all, I can only use the DraStic savestates

EDIT: attached savestate right before the crash
I haven't tried your save state but I seem to recall encountering this crash myself.   Then I noticed that the checksum of the ROM I was using didn't match the one in the no-intro.org database.  After I obtained a valid ROM it no longer crashed.

- Neelix

i confirm that save games dont work in time hollow you need the saved states.

maybe exophase wants to look into it one day.

as for time hollow yeah the jp version works fine and can reach the end.

I found out I was using the US version, the French language made me think wrongly

EDIT: I used the savestate I made with the US version with the EU version, and in the last one there's no crash

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had some problems resuming after putting my Pandora to sleep. Frequently the menu will come back but then when I try to resume my game I'll just get a black screen. Can't get any response out of it after that, not a menu or anything. Only thing to do is to hit the Pandora button to get back to the desktop, open a terminal, and kill -9 the process.

Anyone else encounter this?
Which version of the PVR driver are you using? I believe these symptoms are related to the newer versions. Sometimes I get this with just closing the lid (set to display off, not low power). Sometimes it also hangs the Pandora completely from some seconds to longer than I care to wait.

In one of the first releases of DraStic, I discovered that going to low power while in DraStic tended to cause display corruption, although I could generally get into the menu and out again and quit that way.  Since then I've generally avoided going to low power without using a savestate and quitting first, so I don't know if that behaviour has changed.

In one of the first releases of DraStic, I discovered that going to low power while in DraStic tended to cause display corruption, although I could generally get into the menu and out again and quit that way.  Since then I've generally avoided going to low power without using a savestate and quitting first, so I don't know if that behaviour has changed.
I used to have similar issues, and it fixed its self once upgrading the firmware.

Yes, same here. Just tried it out on 1.55 with stock SGX drivers and it's working fine now in low power mode.

After install an updated SGX driver I got some lower screen corruption while testing, but I was able to save and immediately load the same savestate, and that fixed it. It's still an improvement on how it was earlier.

I think I found another issue with Okamiden (yep, finally found the time to continue playing it...)

There's an area where you need to draw a star.

(you can see it here: http://youtu.be/zTxXTRbcmQE?t=11m56s)

However, that doesn't work in DraStic.

You fail all the time (and I'm sure I'm doing it properly).

I've attached a savestate, hopefully that helps :)

okamiden.zip

Attachments

• okamiden.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 153
I think I found another issue with Okamiden (yep, finally found the time to continue playing it...)

I need a way to get to it from a save game instead of a savestate, to rule out the possibility that something was tainted in the savestate.

Just want to post here that I've just finished DS Pokemon Black Version on Drastic.  A very enjoyable Pokemon game.  Drastic ran flawlessly on my Ghz overclocked to 1200MHz.  I mainly played this game on my GHz but occasionally I switched to the Rebirth which overclocked to 1035MHz.  Drastic on both played superbly the whole time with the exception of little cracking noises here and there on the Rebirth when entering buildings/houses/etc.

Thanks to Exophase again for making this fantastic emulator.

Who would have thought a year ago that an "outdated" machine like the Pandora would be able to run Nintendo DS games so well....And this hasn't tapped into the other hidden power of the Pandora.  The DSP that is...

My Pokedex is now officially full :)

^ :eek:   :( :angry: :D

Anyway, would be nice to have the ability to rotate sideway and stretching like the Android version

I need a way to get to it from a save game instead of a savestate, to rule out the possibility that something was tainted in the savestate.
Seems like there was another bug - while I could save the game, I couldn't find a way to load it again.

The title never showed a saved game.

However, I found a workaround for the touchscreen issue:

Setting frameskip to none helps. :)

That's odd, I couldn't pass it on PC with frameskip zero. I tried like a million times too. Well, good that you solved it...

I think you're locked out of saving the game because you're on a savestate that was made against a bad save database. Can you see if, when starting a new game, you can save and load it?

That's odd, I couldn't pass it on PC with frameskip zero. I tried like a million times too. Well, good that you solved it...
I can assure it works, as I had to disable frameskip temporarily regularly while playing.

Most of the time with special occasions like that.

I think you're locked out of saving the game because you're on a savestate that was made against a bad save database. Can you see if, when starting a new game, you can save and load it?
Aaah, that might be, as I continued using the savestate I had before the crashing bug was fixed.

I'll try when I find the time.

Funny thing is: It definitely saves, as I can see my last save being overwritten whenever I get to a savepoint.

It just doesn't show "Load" when I start the game. No big deal though, thanks to savestates :)

I too have played through Pokemon (Blaze, a hack) Black and just beat the Elite 4 in Pokemon (Volt) White 2 :) . All on my Rebirth! I had Drastic crashing occassionally when set to 1Ghz, found out it's one app that seems to only accept going to about 970Mhz on my unit. Never encountered problems with 1 Ghz in other programs though. No biggie, just a little curiosity. The games themselves are crash-free, with the exception of using some particular cheats, of course.

Any chance for an update soon? There were some rumours that you were working on Golden Sun compatibility for the Android version, would that ever work with the Pandora or is that one too heavy?

Also, do you publish update logs for the Android closed beta releases anywhere?

Any chance for an update soon? There were some rumours that you were working on Golden Sun compatibility for the Android version, would that ever work with the Pandora or is that one too heavy?
Probably within a couple weeks or so. I have done work for Golden Sun but it's still a very demanding game, it doesn't run that well on Pandora, especially if you want graphics that don't glitch out in places because you'll need to disable frameskip. This will especially be true for a 970MHz Rebirth unit..

There are still some more optimizations I want to do but they'll probably have to wait a bit, and I have no idea how much they'll help.

Also, do you publish update logs for the Android closed beta releases anywhere?
No, although Lordus might post some stuff on the beta group? I haven't been keeping up with the changelogs, I need to do a big deep dive over the diff from 2.1.6.2 to generate it, it's going to take a while >_> There's the usual bug fixes and optimizations and stuff but this version has some actual optimizations, as opposed to all the versions since the first Android release which have just gotten gradually slower :p (not by a huge amount but still). The biggest performance benefit, splitting 3D and 2D rendering into multiple threads, doesn't help on Pandora (and is disabled) but I did actually do some actual speeding up of some functions.

is it possible to play Golden Sun 2 on gpSP
It's been a long time since I played, but I think I worked around it by starting a game on my desktop and then saving it to be loaded in gpSP. Or there was a different point where I had to save in gpSP, copy to my desktop, play a bit to get past a point, and then copy it back to continue on my Pandora.One way or another, it is completeable except for one point which I needed to play on desktop.

How can I enable TV split mode? No matter what I set in DraStic, the Picture of the Pandora screen and my TV are always identical. HW layer activated of course. I guess I have tried every option and display mode combinations but I just don't get split screen mode working. What's the trick?

Back