Dreamcast Help

daclassicgamingmaster

It Is Your Birthday.
Website
krispf3.blogspot.com
So, I'm in a unique situation here. I've been playing Code Veronica, and I just got up to the tyrant fight on the plane....like an idiot, though, I wasted all my ammo on zombies for no real reason, so I'm trying to take down Tyrant with like 3 bullets and 5 regular bow gun arrows. It's not possible, obviously, so I'm looking for an alternative to starting over (or rather, not ever playing this game again because I don't want to start over :) ).

My only other option (correct me if I'm missing something) is to do some cheats to get me past this part. I HATE using cheats, but I really don't have any other choice :( .

I was thinking maybe gameshark infinite ammo could help. I found a torrent, but I've never burned a dreamcast game before. I tried extracting it, which gave me a CDI image. I used discjuggler (and also Alcohol 120) to rip it to a blank CD. The problem is that my DC doesn't recognize it. I get the prompt to insert a game disc.

Any help? Am I missing something? Do I need to use a DVD instead? Any help is appreciated.

Was your Dreamcast manufactured before october 2000? Is the disk you are using a cd-r or a cd-rw? Also, when you insert the game, can it play the music from the game?

Jackd said:
Was your Dreamcast manufactured before october 2000? Is the disk you are using a cd-r or a cd-rw? Also, when you insert the game, can it play the music from the game?
I'm not sure about this DC, I bought it at Gamestop for 10 bucks from a dude who needed lunch money :p. Is there a way of knowing when it was made?

The disc is a CD+r.

Haven't tried a game per se, just gameshark and since that wasn't recognised, I tried Utopia Bootdisc, which wasn't recognized either. This is the first time I'm trying burned software.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can check the date just by looking on the sticker on the console itself. I didn't realize that the cd you downloaded was the actual gameshark, i don't know much about the backup version of that because i've only done standard game backups but i'm pretty sure the gameshark came with a memory cartridge as well as the cd and what you downloaded was just the software, or do you have the cartridge? If you don't have the cartridge then you should still find out when your model was made and try to test a standard backup. Can you go back and play past missions in RE:CV? If you can then you could just download a save game with the game fully beaten and send it from the cd to your vmu and replay from the scene you were at.

fishybawb said:
Try a CD-R. Some older drives (like the one in my laptop) struggle with CD+R discs.
No can do, laptop only handles +R software.

@ jackd: no memory cartridge here. I just figured I'd try backups, but maybe it isnt worth the hassle. I guess I can grab a cheap gameshark DC lite on ebay. :(

edit: How can I check a standard backup? Do I just download any game and rip it to a CD??

edit2: Yes jackd, this DC was made June 2000...

ya, so your dreamcast should play backups but there may be something more complicated about that gameshark cd that you torrented if it works without the gameshark itself.

To play a standard backup you just find a game thats selfboots (ill pm you a link to one) and you burn it using alcohol 120% (using overburn if it is too big to fit) as a standard data disk and it should just play when you put it in the console.

Well thanks guys, I looked like an idiot asking the guy at the music shop for CD+R media, since they don't exist. Only CD-R. Blind leading the blind? :p ;)

Strangely enough, I WAS using RW media. I could have sworn on my life-savings that I had purchased regular R discs, but I guess I was wrong!

About to try this again with the proper media.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Well thanks guys, I looked like an idiot asking the guy at the music shop for CD+R media, since they don't exist. Only CD-R. Blind leading the blind? :p ;)
lol, YOU were the one who mentioned CD+R first, you obviously confused my feeble mind :p

Anyway, I said NOT to use this mythical CD+R format that you apparently used the first time round, so why the fuck were you trying to buy more? :D

fishybawb said:
daclassicgamingmaster said:
lol, YOU were the one who mentioned CD+R first, you obviously confused my feeble mind :p

Anyway, I said NOT to use this mythical CD+R format that you apparently used the first time round, so why the fuck were you trying to buy more? :D

Oh lol, well I realized earlier that I was in fact using RW. I went over to look for the CD+R, which I thought would be the proper disc. The guy told me they only made -R, so I bought that! I was asking for +R because I thought that my burner couldn't handle -R, but that's only with DVDs, apparently.

Great news though, I successfully burned the gameshark! I enabled the rocket launcher code, but it seems these codes freeze the item box and leave the game with a blank screen :(. I'll try some other codes that don't use the item box and report back.

Awesome, got infinite ammo for the grenade launcher. I don't see this as cheating, since it's not because it's hard that I'm using cheats, it's because it's impossible without ammo! Either you go into the fight with enough to kill him, or not enough, and you're stuck and can't progress.

It's gonna take some effort to take down tyrant, but it seems like I can now move on, and eventually finish :D

And I know how to burn DC games now :D

Back