Dreamcast "STURMWIND" most beautiful shooter ever

CAZMIESTER

As a few of you may be aware on these boards, im a huge old skool shooter fan and this has to be the most lush beautiful shooter ever, such detail such thought has went in to this game visuals,sound level design,boss fights the question i would like to put is do we really need all these new multicore contraptions and is gamplay playing second fiddle to fps graphics and orchestral tracks , i believe this originally was a jaguar demo called native and over the last 7 years has ended up  here what is your thoughts also if you look closely at the levels at specific points there are clever little touches like characters from earlier classic games like Blood money lemmings even a jaguar box hidden in the scenery

https://www.youtube.com/embed/y08PAy5EBK4?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice!  Never played this game!  Gotta try it now!

It's really sad to see such a short life for the Dreamcast  :(

Just checked the redspot site and price has been lowered to 35 euros

it's very pretty indeed but i have to put a good word in for the legendary GameCube shooter "Ikaruga"  the bullet patterns in that game where hypnotic and mesmerizing  and the difficulty curve is INSANE (just then way i like it), i submit this for your viewing pleasure but dont let it detract from Sturmwind's amazing technical achievements:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=FLtgnL0RImz3T2B6zCWaCpuw

it's very pretty indeed but i have to put a good word in for the legendary GameCube shooter "Ikaruga"  the bullet patterns in that game where hypnotic and mesmerizing  and the difficulty curve is INSANE (just then way i like it), i submit this for your viewing pleasure but dont let it detract from Sturmwind's amazing technical achievements:

IKARUGA was Arcade first, then Dreamcast afaik, then Gamecube  ;)

It's the only game where I was happy to reach the 2. Level and more happy to just see the Endboss of the 2. Level, of course never beat that boss, Ikaruga is just insane, I guess you have to be asian to really play this game.  :ph34r:

Been there seen it done it clocked it ikaruga is a beautiful game but doesnt come close to the graphics in sturmwind but still one of the best shooters ever from the team that done RS and Gradius v wouldnt expect less but is old news now Sturmwind goes back to when shooters were fun and has great replay and longevity value and subtle touches that will never be bettered imho

Sturmwind goes back to when shooters were fun and has great replay and longevity value and subtle touches that will never be bettered imho

I always thought Ikaruga was fun, but maybe i'm one of those guys that enjoys being punished  ;)  (even today i stil replay it to try and beat my old highscores). If you're looking for a very pretty game with a decent curve and tons of variety in the form of replay value you could do a lot worse than check out G-Darius on PS1 (which looks even nicer on Pandora). Curve is still steep but not too much, and the levels are branching which means in order to play every level in the game you have to replay it lots but this means the player will keep coming back for more. Theres plenty of nice incidental details in the background, and of course giant airships in the shape of fish! I'm not saying this betters Sturmwind but its a great experience, and might just come close:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/6mou1-8cp3w?feature=oembed

Sturmwind goes back to when shooters were fun and has great replay and longevity value and subtle touches that will never be bettered imho

I always thought Ikaruga was fun, but maybe i'm one of those guys that enjoys being punished  ;)  (even today i stil replay it to try and beat my old highscores). If you're looking for a very pretty game with a decent curve and tons of variety in the form of replay value you could do a lot worse than check out G-Darius on PS1 (which looks even nicer on Pandora). Curve is still steep but not too much, and the levels are branching which means in order to play every level in the game you have to replay it lots but this means the player will keep coming back for more. Theres plenty of nice incidental details in the background, and of course giant airships in the shape of fish! I'm not saying this betters Sturmwind but its a great experience, and might just come close:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/6mou1-8cp3w?feature=oembed
Any shooter ive played it m8 id dare anyone to name one i havent

This Sturmwind looks absolutely storming. I've always loved my non-bullet-hell shooters, and it's so rare to get a new one these days.

Probably my favourite shooter so far (having not played Sturmwind) is Gradius V, but then I do like my Gradius games (all the way back to Scramble). Ikaruga's very good, but that black/white mechanic does my nut in by the second stage, and like most shooters, I've never made it to level 3. Probably the only exceptions are Scramble and Parodius (the latter thanks to Skeezix's retro tourney).

Anyway, hope this stays in stock till I get back from my hols. I note playasia's sold out currently.

If you like old skool Blazing Star on the neogeo is the way to go simply one of the most stunning 2d shooters ever rayforce is also great and axelay is still one of the greatest shooters ever Sturmwind owes a great debt to that game and does it great justice

There is also Radiant silvergun any of the pc engine star soldier series mushihimesama armed police bat rider einhander rtype delta zero gunner 2 under defeat and border down all great shooters

Einhander is a personal fav, amazing shooter.

Mushihimesama is nice too.

Am hype to get on this Sturmwind though, get the Dreamcast out the box again :)

On my PS3 I play a bit of Soldner-X: Himmerlsstumer ... I think I have another Soldner-X game on there too, were only a few quid on the PSN

It's decent, nice weaponry

Little clip of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQDKZO0_Kl0

I know this is a other console thread but every time someone mentions Dreamcast on here I think of how way,, way back I thought the Pandora was going to be able to run it.

There was an early youtube video showing the Pandora running the Dreamcast menu. :(   :unsure:  In 2008 or 2009 i think.

Oh well.

Last edited:
I know this is a other console thread but every time someone mentions Dreamcast on here I think of how way,, way back I thought the Pandora was going to be able to run it.

There was an early youtube video showing the Pandora running the Dreamcast menu. :(   :unsure:  In 2008 or 2009 i think.

Oh well.
I think we have to wait Pandora 2 for proper Dreamcast emulation. I remember drkllRaziel tested NullDc on the 1Ghz Pandora and it was very slow even with less demanding Dreamcast games ie Resident Evil Code Veronica.

Evil Dragodora Whatever 2 will only tempt me, if Dreamcast, N64 and maybe Playstation 2 or GameCube runs like PSX on the first one.

Hopefully in a few years we can have Sturmwind on it... :)

People have such good taste in games on this thread :) i know this is kinda slightly off topic as its not a pretty shooter but does anyone remember the game Saint Dragon on the PC Engine? It's hardly an oil painting but it had a really interesting game mechanic where you could use your movements coil the body and tail in many different ways to protect your Cyber-Dragon's vulnerable head, it strikes me that an original Pandora game based on this concept would completely kick ass! it was such a nice idea and i've not really seen it repeated since (at least not executed as well). I think something like this could work really well using Left Nub + buttons as controls, what do the rest of you think? my apologies for the slight thread derailment.

People have such good taste in games on this thread :) i know this is kinda slightly off topic as its not a pretty shooter but does anyone remember the game Saint Dragon on the PC Engine? It's hardly an oil painting but it had a really interesting game mechanic where you could use your movements coil the body and tail in many different ways to protect your Cyber-Dragon's vulnerable head, it strikes me that an original Pandora game based on this concept would completely kick ass! it was such a nice idea and i've not really seen it repeated since (at least not executed as well). I think something like this could work really well using Left Nub + buttons as controls, what do the rest of you think? my apologies for the slight thread derailment.
Saint Dragon is actually an Arcade game made by NMK for Jaleco  not a pc engine original

Back