Dreamcast "STURMWIND" most beautiful shooter ever

Early 80s computers had optional spinner controller (of the Tempest style - the only arcade game I've played with a spinner). Later computers had them too, but then they were called 'mice' - the two rollers of optical mice are built the same as a single spinner controller, AIUI.

Yeah, Forgotten Worlds was often a problem playing on some systems

Early 80s computers had optional spinner controller (of the Tempest style - the only arcade game I've played with a spinner). Later computers had them too, but then they were called 'mice' - the two rollers of optical mice are built the same as a single spinner controller, AIUI.
I take it you mean mechanical mouse and yes the old atari's had these controllers but modern pcs dont another irritant is these SNK Twisty analog joysticks and the star wars yoke ,some other great shooters are Soukyugurentai,super aleste, Delta(c64), wizball(c64) Armed Formation F Trizeal XII stag

Wizball was brought up on these boards somewhere not that long ago, which reminded me of it as I had completely forgot about that game and not played it in years, since way back when I had my ZX as my main system :)

It's a lot harder than I remember, I'm not as good at is as I once was.

the C64 version certainly looks better graphically... the ZX one is nostalgic for me though.

Just been playing some Xenon, another great one

Early 80s computers had optional spinner controllers (of the Tempest style - the only arcade game I've played with a spinner). Later computers had them too, but then they were called 'mice' - the two rollers of optical mice are built the same as a single spinner controller, AIUI.
I take it you mean mechanical mouse and yes the old atari's had these controllers but modern pcs dont
Quite right - I used the wrong term. Mechanical mice use an optical chopper wheel to control light passing between an IR LED and a sensor, but we call them mechanical mice to distinguish them from the more common modern type that shine a light on the surface they're working on (usually an IR light so you're not distracted by it) and observe the reflected light, and have no moving parts (other than the buttons).

ah so its more like a tail of R-Type style "Forces". Thats not quite like what i'm suggesting, in the idea outlined above the tail-pieces are destroyable and the direction of fire would probably be determined by the type of upgrade given to each segment rather than player positioning (eg some upgrades just fire forwards, others would fire in other directions or perhaps at 45* angle, some might even fire in the opposite direction to the last movement given dependent on the type and power of the gun) these upgrades would be bought using your score as currency between levels.
It might be worth trying to make this game. Its not impossible. i'm working on a commercial game for the pandora atm. Its some ways off though, i hope to have a one level demo asap.

Its a 2d shmup with a mecha bot.

I'm sorry but i havent done any proper coding in at least 10 years it would have to be in someonelses hands, would be awesome to see something similar made though (perhaps i'd even get a mention in some credits) but i cant wait to see what you come up with in your project.

I know its an entirely different art style but i consider the much overlooked Irem shooter "In The Hunt" to be a very beautiful game indeed, the graphics have a wonderful "hand-drawn" kind of style and the way everything breaks-up/explodes is very well animated.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/dk95UuZzEBU?feature=oembed
Love that style all handdrawn graphics alot of love went into these later irem games and some of the developers worked on metal slug you can see the similarities

I know its an entirely different art style but i consider the much overlooked Irem shooter "In The Hunt" to be a very beautiful game indeed, the graphics have a wonderful "hand-drawn" kind of style and the way everything breaks-up/explodes is very well animated.
Love that style all handdrawn graphics alot of love went into these later irem games and some of the developers worked on metal slug you can see the similarities
My first thought was "hey, they must have made Metal Slug!".

Interesting game.

Good graphics are all about animation/movement.

You can have an excellent HD scenery with the nicest shading etc... and it will not have a chance against TWI PIXELS that are animated really nice via movements.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first thought was "hey, they must have made Metal Slug!".

Interesting game.

Good graphics are all about animation/movement.

You can have an excellent HD scenery with the nicest shading etc... and it will not have a chance against TWI PIXELS that are animated really nice via movements.
TWI PIXELS?

If any of you guys like metal slug try Gunforce 2 Geostorm on mame and then you will scream metal slug some of the sound effects are ripped totally from this game
That's one of the arcade games i like so much. I remember this was the first game i played after i received my Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah m8 if you look at these two Nazca games they are basically jazzed up versions of later irem titles mainly major title 2 neo turf masters and geostorm metal slug.

Well I think my Sturmwind has arrived in the post today, so will have to hook up my Dreamcast later tonight.

Sweet

Back