Dual Screen Multitasking

Aries

Still Fresh
Since the Pandora will have an independent AV out, is it realistic to say we'll be able to multitask, let's say a movie on the tv-out and a web browser (or a low demanding game) on the Pandora screen? And if we got 2 seperate headphone and audio out, could these output different sound source?

While I'm at it, gonna make a coffee and take a bath :blink:

pandora said:
Yes, comfirmed to be supported by the OMAP
Thank you, I know all that, but my concern is more about processing: what performance can we expect in dual mode? I suppose the powerVR chip can't process both output at the same time. Will the IVA2+ take care of playback decoding on the tv-out and openGL still work on the LCD without any bottleneck? Most certainly we will have the choice of dual and mirror mode, so it's no big deal, but it would be great to multitask on both screen flawlessly with emulators-movie-web browser etc...

Freaky multitasking squid I am! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
On an unrelated question, does this mean you can possibly attach another screen onto pandora (I would probably mod it myself)? Not using the Av out, but with some plastic ribbon cable ( forgot what screen connectors are called), would that be possible?

Jonttu said:
On an unrelated question, does this mean you can possibly attach another screen onto pandora (I would probably mod it myself)? Not using the Av out, but with some plastic ribbon cable ( forgot what screen connectors are called), would that be possible?
You would probably have to connect it where the TV-out is connected to the board, so you'd still have to screw up your TV-out anyways.

-God Ginrai

Take a gander:
exampleot0.png

I thin Jonttu is asking if it would be possible to do this:

fks7d0.jpg

I don't know if it's possible, but it would be hilarious. :lol:

Kagato said:

fks7d0.jpg

Good lord.. now WHY would anyone want to do THAT?! :blink:

Prophet said:
Kagato said:

fks7d0.jpg

Good lord.. now WHY would anyone want to do THAT?! :blink:

Since you asked the question I had a think about it...

Maybe you could play a half-interesting or half-boring movie or tv show on the top screen and play chess or surf the web (gp32 forum perhaps?) on the bottom screen. Or you could have a real-time stock market webpage on the top screen while playing a game on the bottom screen. Or you could have a really slow developing RTS game on the top screen and browse the web on the bottom screen - although for that you would need some way to shift input control back and forth from the top screen to the bottom screen.

When I first saw Kagato's photographic mock-up I thought that the idea would take the 'portability' out of 'portable console' since it looked like you could easily break off the top screen if you carried it around on an everyday basis. However when I scrolled up to take a look at Jonttu's schematic diagram again I noticed that he has drawn a double hinge to attach the additional screen to the top of the Pandora's native screen meaning that if you are good at visualising 3-D images you can imagine the top screen wrapping around the console like a letter folded into thirds before being slipped into an envelope!

However if the manufacturers were to take this concept seriously and make a 'deluxe' version with two screens I would strongly suggest they have the second screen slide up from the back of the first screen using the sliding mechanism similar to an OQO or HTC Tytn as that would be simpler and cooler than Jonttu's design!

Sphinxter said:
Dual Screen and Multitasking are two completely unrelated topics.
Really? Take a look at the photo again. What's the point of having dual screens if you can't multitask?

Sphinxter said:
three said:
Sphinxter said:
Dual Screen and Multitasking are two completely unrelated topics.
Really? Take a look at the photo again. What's the point of having dual screens if you can't multitask?

Being able to display twice as much data from a single task.

Ah I see what you mean. Usually that's what a scroll bar is there for.

Anyway if it were able to multitask onto two screens it would add so much more functionality to the handheld.

To be honest though, using the image above as reference, convert the 2 screens into a large single screen, then you could do the same, as there's nothing stopping you from splitting the screen up into windows and having one task per Window. You could then have 4 tasks running in 4 virtual screens :)

Hey, what an idea! *runs off to patent*

Dang, it's already been done before.

*mumble*

;)

Squidge said:
To be honest though, using the image above as reference, convert the 2 screens into a large single screen, then you could do the same, as there's nothing stopping you from splitting the screen up into windows and having one task per Window. You could then have 4 tasks running in 4 virtual screens :)

Hey, what an idea! *runs off to patent*

Dang, it's already been done before.

*mumble*

;)
Yeah, but have you ever tried stuffing a laptop into your clothes pocket?

Back