Durable?

Bernstein229

Still Fresh
I'm very carful about electronics I buy, and I'm wondering, is it durable? Will there be considerable damage if I drop it once?

Bernstein229 said:
I'm very carful about electronics I buy, and I'm wondering, is it durable? Will there be considerable damage if I drop it once?
i dont think theres any way to know until the pandora is actually released, and someone is unfortunate enough to drop it. i believe that the clamshell design in itself will protect the pandora rather well from dropping tho. and also im wondering, are you the same guy from ipodtouchfans?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bernstein229 said:

Define drop.
If you mean off the empire state building, no it's not durable.
It is also not earthquake, tornado, hurricane, tsunami,firestorm or black plague proof. Nor will insurance be available if such calamity is to hit your neck of the universe.
On the other hand, it will not crack like a 3G iPhone....I hope...

What is it called when you get deja vu again? deja vu vu? double vu?
TaG said:
deja vu. ;)
TaG said:
cosurgi said:
What will be the durability of this keboard?
Very poor. The developers have gone to great lengths to ensure they last between 366 and 367 days to maximise future revenues. As none of us have an actual Pandora with keyboard we can neither confirm or deny these rumours. And if it were poor, which I'm sure it's not, the developers wouldn't publicise it, would they?

It's an odd question too. Someone could drop a cell phone several times and the damage would be cosmetic. I used to look after our mobile phone contract at work and had several people who dropped their phone once and totalled it - you could tell by the damage that it wasn't through repeated misuse. It comes down to circumstance and luck. But the more careful you are, the luckier you will be.

gnargoyle11 said:
Bernstein229 said:
i dont think theres any way to know until the pandora is actually released, and someone is unfortunate enough to drop it. i believe that the clamshell design in itself will protect the pandora rather well from dropping tho. and also im wondering, are you the same guy from ipodtouchfans?

Yes I am.

Megamixman said:
Bernstein229 said:

Define drop.
If you mean off the empire state building, no it's not durable.
It is also not earthquake, tornado, hurricane, tsunami,firestorm or black plague proof. Nor will insurance be available if such calamity is to hit your neck of the universe.
On the other hand, it will not crack like a 3G iPhone....I hope...

I mean from about 2-3 feet.

Bernstein229 said:
Accidentally one or twice, it will survive. Will it scratch like ALL plastic; most likely. The thing to remember is that the weakest point of the Pandora isn't likely to be the case but the hinge. Dropping it open face might break that hinge depending on how strong it is and how it hits the ground/table/etc.

Megamixman said:
Bernstein229 said:
Accidentally one or twice, it will survive. Will it scratch like ALL plastic; most likely. The thing to remember is that the weakest point of the Pandora isn't likely to be the case but the hinge. Dropping it open face might break that hinge depending on how strong it is and how it hits the ground/table/etc.

and it depends on what part of the chassis meets the ground first, the angle between main-chassis and the display, the ground, luck and what not. Depending on the angle and the collision-point, an open hinge might even buffer the fall. Since I'm pretty good in breaking devices, I'll probably cover all edges with rubber. My last 2 mobile phones fell into rivers anyway :rolleyes: hope for a good ottercase (or better pelican-case cause that's my second name :D)

It depends on how it was dropped and what surface it hits. I have dropped my PSP onto carpet loads of times and it's perfect, I wouldn't like to say the same if it hit concrete though.

Also what if it was dropped with the screen open or shut, it will have an impact on the results (pun intended).

I agree that like all clamshell designs, the weakest points are the LCD screen, and the hinges. They are more likely to break first, probably due to stress already exerted during normal use!

Arguments like this though can never be conclusive as it all depends where it hits, shock on plastic and components can be quite unpredictable.

TaG said:
Someone could drop a cell phone several times and the damage would be cosmetic. I used to look after our mobile phone contract at work and had several people who dropped their phone once and totalled it - you could tell by the damage that it wasn't through repeated misuse. It comes down to circumstance and luck. But the more careful you are, the luckier you will be.
Or rather than circumstance and luck, you could have a Nokia 6010. :lol:

I've known at least three people who have owned these, myself included, who have had this model and abuse them horribly (hell, I threw mine down three feet as hard as I could on to hot concrete once) and never had them break.

Nah, I'm sure somebody has had one break, but mine is really sturdy. :p

Just remembered another point from school a few years ago: lithium ion batteries can become highly unstable if dropped, to the point of explosion. This is what leads to all of those "cell phone in pocket" explosions.
The Pandora has a really dense battery. If it's got similar power density to a cell phone battery, then dropping it may cause damage to the battery as well as the external casing.
If you've dropped it and it "feels a little warm" you might consider replacing the battery ASAP, just to be safe.

WarmFluffyUK said:
I agree that like all clamshell designs, the weakest points are the LCD screen, and the hinges. They are more likely to break first, probably due to stress already exerted during normal use!
True. I hope, the whole hinge-internal structure will be made out of metal. I wouldn't trust a pure plastic hinge for 5 seconds.

The case itself can be made much more durable with the right supporting structure inside the case, the Nature itself give us a perfect example of a durable structure while not needing much material, here a quick Idea of me:

Back