Eduroam connection issues

cowai

hellolo.
Website
Visit site
Hi,

I have problem connecting to eduroam at my university. I connect with NetworkManager exactly the same as I do on NetworkManager on my computer. But when I try to connect it begins connecting and then the connection window pops up again.

I have read that I might need tun here: http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=108

'sudo modprobe tun' doesn't help.

Anybody that have a solution?

Just to be sure what your problem is - after attempting to connect, the network manager throws up the window you've already filled out with your account details, correct? I've had a similar problem with eduroam at my university, although I didn't bother to try and fix it because the general network works fine.

I'll have another look at it when I go in on Friday and report anything I come across.

Just to be sure what your problem is - after attempting to connect, the network manager throws up the window you've already filled out with your account details, correct? I've had a similar problem with eduroam at my university, although I didn't bother to try and fix it because the general network works fine.

I'll have another look at it when I go in on Friday and report anything I come across.

Yes, exactly.

Thank you for bothering.

Sorry for the late reply, but I've had a chance to test my pandora with eduroam with general success. The main problem I had was that when I couldn't connect to eduroam (used the wrong login), my Pandora would automatically switch to the univerity's main network which I already have working - more of an annoyance than anything else.

The only things I can think of noting are these:

1. The eduroam network has an associated certificate available, but I couldn't find anywhere to download it, so I just set it to use no certificate.

2. eduroam usernames (at least in my case) were in the form of email addresses, not the standard university logins.

Although My university has not yet set up a guide for configuring eduroam on linux, I just followed the one for Win XP as best I could and it worked fine. It can be found here. In the event that all of your settings are right and you still keep getting the dialog popping up, I can only suggest that you go talk to your IT department for a fix or at least confirmation of what is wrong (broadcast frequency?)

Sorry for the late reply, but I've had a chance to test my pandora with eduroam with general success. The main problem I had was that when I couldn't connect to eduroam (used the wrong login), my Pandora would automatically switch to the univerity's main network which I already have working - more of an annoyance than anything else.

The only things I can think of noting are these:

1. The eduroam network has an associated certificate available, but I couldn't find anywhere to download it, so I just set it to use no certificate.

2. eduroam usernames (at least in my case) were in the form of email addresses, not the standard university logins.

Although My university has not yet set up a guide for configuring eduroam on linux, I just followed the one for Win XP as best I could and it worked fine. It can be found here. In the event that all of your settings are right and you still keep getting the dialog popping up, I can only suggest that you go talk to your IT department for a fix or at least confirmation of what is wrong (broadcast frequency?)

I use linux on laptop in school. Never had any issues with networkmanager and eduroam. But doing exactly the same thing on my pandora as on my computer doesn't work. It never connects. Weird.

I managed to get eduroam to work, I needed to install public and and personal certificates - both configurable in the NetworkManager GUI. It all works. Except for some stupid problem - it worked on account of my univeristy colleague, but never worked on my personal eduroam account. I was using his password for a while to connect to his account. So generally eduroam works. I never had time to find out why it's not working for my account, my guess is that it's because my password is longer than 8 characters while my colleague's password is exactly 8 characters.

but anyway I decided to not use eduroam, it's too big hindrance in general, and I prefer my cellphone tethered over bluetooth.

^ Just thought I'd add that my university password is currently 7 characters, so that may have something to do with it.

I have a question regarding this:

it needs the deutsche-telekom-root-ca-2 certificate for my uni.

Do I need to instll this somehow? I assumed I needed the pem file and generated it with openssl, but I don't really now what I need to do here ;)

Back