Eek! Black Screen....

Mqark

Website
www.konixmultisystem.com
Well, I've been playing with my Pandora non-stop since Tuesday evening.

I've had it charged and it's been behaving well - untill this morning when I turn it on to show a friend and it gets past the angstrom splash into a very dark screen.... you could really faintly see the desktop underneath if you strained your eyes.

I took the battery out - put it back in and turned it back on and then it came back up again. This however is rather worrying. It really did look like the backlight had been turned off - but the machine is fine and has been functioning with no other problems so it must be something other than the unit being damaged in transit. The screen has worked well for days, and is working ok now - but this glitch is something that needs to be taken seriously.

Thanks,
Mqark.

This is a bug in firmware, you get this for example when you turn off with the lid closed (it wrongly saves 0 brightness level). Just press Fn-I repeatedly next time this happens (you might need to wait for it to boot for this to work).

Argh! Damn!
A feature turned into a bug :)

I was always waiting for my unit to shutdown before I closed the lid, so I haven't encountered that one :)

Easy fix: Don't save brightness if lid is closed.
Will fix that in the firmware for the next release.

Until then: Either close the lid after shutting down or use the brightness controls after booting :)
Nothing serious, thank god :)

laurens said:
http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=81 - reported it 2 days ago man :)

Ah, cool :)
Currently doing assembly, so I didn't check the bugtracker :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Easy fix: Don't save brightness if lid is closed.

Better fix: Save Brightness as soon as the User chooses "Shutdown". (In other words, it should save brightness before doing any other part of the shutdown procedure.)

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
mvickers03 said:
That's not a better fix! what if the system hangs in standby mode :rolleyes:

...? And how would that be caused by my suggestion?

-God Ginrai

I quite like

torpor said:
"Don't ever save a Brightness value of 0".

myself. It seems an unlikely setting for a user to have chosen deliberately.

God Ginrai said:
mvickers03 said:

-God Ginrai

I would imagine the brightness would be at 0 when the lid was closed, so when you hit the power button, it would already be at 0...

centus said:
God Ginrai said:
mvickers03 said:

-God Ginrai

I would imagine the brightness would be at 0 when the lid was closed, so when you hit the power button, it would already be at 0...

The power button doesn't shut the system down. You have to do that through menus from how I understand it. (when you have your screen open)

-God Ginrai

How about saving the value the user last selected, rather than what was actually there? "Don't save a value of 0" will still result in the user's brightness choice being forgotten, if the lid was closed.

Exophase said:
How about saving the value the user last selected, rather than what was actually there? "Don't save a value of 0" will still result in the user's brightness choice being forgotten, if the lid was closed.

That's why I had suggested saving the brightness before the rest of the shutdown procedure. (In other words as soon as they hit the shut down command)

-God Ginrai

[quote name=Exophase]"Don't save a value of 0" will still result in the user's brightness choice being forgotten, if the lid was closed. [/quote]

No it won't. The problem is that the users brightness choice is *always* being saved, even if it is 0. Shutting the lid during shutdown sets the 'users' brightness choice to zero, and this *is* being saved, which is the problem. \

torpor said:
No it won't. The problem is that the users brightness choice is *always* being saved, even if it is 0. Shutting the lid during shutdown sets the 'users' brightness choice to zero, and this *is* being saved, which is the problem. \
But if I start with a brightness level of 100, set it to 50, then start the process and close the lid thereby reducing it to 0, if you say "don't save a 0 value" then that 50 is lost. The last time it saved the value was when it was at 100. Next time you turn it on it will again be at 100. And this user that keeps closing the lid thinks there's a problem with his Pandora because he needs to keep resetting the brightness level.

IMO best solution would be to save brightness at the time of change (when user changes it via menu (if available) or via key combination), then where would be no problem with restoration of it. To save some flash writes additional variable could be used to keep brightness level to write on shutdown

SiNGLerLT said:
IMO best solution would be to save brightness at the time of change (when user changes it via menu (if available) or via key combination), then where would be no problem with restoration of it. To save some flash writes additional variable could be used to keep brightness level to write on shutdown
Actualy, this is the only logic way. I wonder why OPT used such a weird way to save LCD brightness.
Simply save the brighness only, when the user manualy changes it (via hotkey or menu). And of course do not save brightness when screen turns off during shutdown or standby.
I guess we won't change the brightness THAT often. And when each App has their own brighness values that switch automaticly, we don't even have to save the brightness at all. :)

Back