Enteresting News About Perfect Emulator

Ninjia^ posted on Oct 26 2005 at 12:00 PM said:
DJWillis posted on Oct 26 2005 at 09:26 AM said:
So ramblings on the GP2X forum get passed off as gospel but ramblings here are taken for the ramblings they are. Hmmmm ;).

There is a very simple way to look at GP2X emus and apps, some very talented devs have pre-release units and are playing with bits of code, ideas, emus, games etc. etc. so expect to see some very cool stuff on the GP2X.

Will that cool stuff be exactly what you want? Maybe not, it depends on what the devs want to play with 1st (hell, I am sure 99.9% of what I have been messing about with would not set anybody on fire, compiler hacking is a friendless task).

To be honest I would not be at all surprised if there is a big raft of old demo crew style demos while people get the measure of the hardware and push things like the 2nd CPU, 2D engine, scalar etc..

Please stop all this rubbish about 'will there be perfect this, that and the other'.

The reality is at launch there is not a chance in hell of perfect SNES, MegaDrive etc. etc. (not saying there won't be emus but perfect is a hell of a job and implies it’s tightly tailored to the hardware, that is just not a quick job for anybody (well ok some people can do it quickly but not many ;)).

Just chill and take a deep breath, life goes on and the only way to speed things up is to muck in and help in some way. That what the community bit is all about :D.

Ive been trying to think of someways I can help out the community myself but unfortunatly my talents dont lie in the coding department. If anyone needs anything doing I can do professional standard photography and Im not too bad with photoshop either. Just send me a PM if you have any ideas for me to work on!

Dude, there is ALWAYS room for photoshoppers in the Dev community. Most dev's just dont know it. If you look at the standard linux game, many of them have great engines but absolutely atrocious graphics. From my experience, most dedicated coders aren't designers. Look at the homebrew Tetris attack,

http://pspupdates.qj.net/2005/10/pspdepon-released.html

Now, Tetris attack is one of the greatest puzzlers ever made, but look at this steaming pile of shit. First off you can see there's criticism about the code, some things still dont work right. But when you look at the design you can tell there wasn't much effort put into it.

In my opinion the open source world is full of well coded engines, but has always been short on good designers. If you can do good sprite work I think you'll have a great spot in the community if you know how to work it.

Turn This into this and you'd be amazed at the difference it makes.

Just my .02

(I wish I had EITHER of the above mentioned skills, but I lack in every facet.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Auritribe posted on Oct 26 2005 at 05:28 PM said:
Turn This into this and you'd be amazed at the difference it makes.

Just my .02

(I wish I had EITHER of the above mentioned skills, but I lack in every facet.)

blocks look better, but lazy background image doesn't work with the game ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Perfect sounds like the opposite of DaveC :p
(no offense DaveC ;) )

But nah, by the tone of the post he/she sounds WAY too optimistic, chances are we will get close but not 100% perfect...

I think im talented enough to make some stuff in Paintshop Pro. If anyone is making any games and they need some logos or title screens...PM me..

Also, if you want to see my work, PM me

Back