expensive?

Rewording, just rewording should do the trick. Example: Workstation Core.

You have a silent Workstation, but you can unplug all cables (mouse, keyboard, screen, external SSD, printer, etc), and it transforms into a workstation-on-the-go.
The workstation will have all you need for your PIM needs; and through the Linux compatibility layer, you will be able to download more than thousand apps from the Linux appstore worth thousands of dollars, absolutely free.
You can make it a hi-fi audio device. With crystal clear recording and broadcasting.
You can make it your presentation device connect it to a HDMI overhead projector and start your presentation.
You can make it your developers environment and have a complete LAMP environment and program in languages such as JBoss, nodeJS, Ruby on Rails, R, mathomatica, and many many more.
You can run astronomer software and see where each planet is supposed to be at any given location (or, with the build-in GPS, at your current location)
You can make it your language tutor, as it has a Text-to-Speech engine that can pronounce words in more than 50 languages. But the text to speech also handy for blind people (you can also connect a braille keyboard to the device).
and you can do all this in pitch-darkness, as it has an illuminated keyboard.

You can connect additional hardware through the USB and transform the function of the device to be:
An ODB-II reader for your car, A DVB TV player, a musicians Midi device, a geiger counter, a silent and low consumption IoT controller, you name it!

as well as build-in functionality, such as a GPS device, a TextToSpeech engine and advanced functions like EasyStroke functionality to make optimal use of the touchscreen.

But wait. Notice how Android and Windows interfaces can not be changed (besides the home screen, launcher and background)? Well, if you want, you can with this device. You can make your display look visually like Windows 10, or you can make it look like Android, or you can make it look like iOS, even like Windows 95.
And you can emulate a plethora of older computers, from the early seventies to the late 2010's.

And it also features telephone functions... with obvious functions like keep on working (true multitasking) while you are taking a telephone call...

And without one push of a button, you can backup EVERYTHING (or what you deem important) ... to cloud, or your local NAS; which means that you don't have to fear dataloss. You just let anacron do the connecting and upload, in case you forget...
Also, if your data is sensitive, you can create encrypted filesystems, and make your data harder to crack than a locked iPhone.

..... and... did we mention it is possible to play games on the device?

@Caine:
Thanks to its modular built, the camera is an hardware-plugin which makes you able to use the resolution of your choice and can get upgraded any time..

Well, I think the problem is as follows.
I tend to agree with the $300 golden rule for game consoles, and I do think some of that is in there. However problem I see with the argument I think is when looking at other tech that serve similar functional purposes other than games. Even the irrational gamer part of me recognizes it's other than gaming functions as other devices have as well. More tablets than anything really as they represent the closest function and parts, but if you disconnect the mass production from the cost you see tablets, computers, phones, things like the raspberry pi, hell even smart TV's as more or similar for less.

There is a extremely low bar in the electronics market that keeps getting lower, the average dollar/euro keeps getting you more and more for less and less. Low production things can't legitimately compete at the price point.

People see parts A B and C add the price in their mind and see something as a combination of parts and price, then disregard the actual external elements that add to the price (as has been explained in depth in this thread)

People still don't care, some (obviously) can't justify the price. I attempted to convince Craig several years ago. Market the pandora or whatever as a niche market boutique item and literally ignore the haters you won't convince otherwise even with sufficient explanation. Justification for the unconvinced is just plain not going to work. The market for people who want it will pay for it regardless of cost and justify it if they want it enough. There are some pretty funny arguments comparing the pyra to an iPhone or iPad as justification. I quit arguing against those statements when I figured what people were saying in return was more for themselves than it was for me ;)

If I had to put a "consumer" price on the pyra for what I would pay for it. It would probably be right around $350. If Microsoft, Samsung, or Apple were to make it. But... I'll pay the $500+ or whatever it's going for because I want it. But no amount of rationalization is going to break that internal value part of my mind that says how much $ of tech is in it though. It's just a matter of "swallowing the bill".

Do I want it?... yes
Can I afford it?... yes
Will I go broke from buying it?... no
Buy it now, apologize to the wife later. :)

The race to the bottom doesn't benefit anyone in the end. The end result of that road are devices which all are nearly identical (ie. the optimal cost VS value ratio) except for brand, or some minor gimmick.

The race to the bottom benefits everyone in end if you ask me. More of a philosophical argument of when innovation and automation converge with the free market. We wouldnt have anywhere near the advances in technology without it. That's a discussion for another thread I think.

Do I want it?... yes
Can I afford it?... ( mmmm maaaybe -Fae )
Will I go broke from buying it?...( If I paid the full price now certainly... I'm still waiting for the optimal financial moment to justify a preorder... Fae )
Buy it now, apologize to the wife later. :)

I am in the unique position of *being my own wife* ... that sounds terrible, please - no mental imagery!

I want one *BAD*.. you know I do.
My better half is asking me exactly what I need it for, that I can drop all that money on it...

... er... I'm going to program Python on it...?
You can do that on your Surface Pro - and that cost you an arm and a leg!
But dear... I can't take my Surface out when I'm working... or shopping ... or...
When you're *working* or *shopping*...
... but dear...
Edit: Or your Pandora! Why do you need a Pyra when you already have a perfectly good device for all your fiddling and procrastinating when you're supposed to be *working*...

*sigh*

Last edited:
Everyone wants transparency, everyone wants locally built, everyone wants ethically sourced components and labour. Everyone wants to know exactly who designed it, they want to be involved in the design and decision making, they want a community.

And then once you get all that stuff sorted everyone wants it to be cheap. It's just not realistic.

The race to the bottom benefits everyone in end if you ask me. More of a philosophical argument of when innovation and automation converge with the free market. We wouldnt have anywhere near the advances in technology without it. That's a discussion for another thread I think.
Ok, okay. Things being cheaper due to automation is a good thing indeed, specially for things which are a necessity (ie. food, clothes, household appliances, cars, etc).

But I also value a lot niche products which target the specific interests I have. The mass-market products (which are cheap due to economy of scale) often miss the mark for me.

Didn't we beat this horse to death long ago? There are lots of threads like this one already.

The Pandora and now Pyra comparison to other devices was ridiculous and now is still ridiculous and will be ridiculous.

The missing piece to all of this is actual production Pyra (is the plural Pyras, Pyri, Pyrats, Pyrai??) in our collective hands.

How're things going ED? Any updates? Or is the existing news article still pretty much the current situation?

The last news article was posted 6 days ago, so I guess the current state is that article plus six days news. Nothing's been posted from his twitter account so I guess there's nothing that can't wait till the next news article yet.

Well, we had a bit of a milestone, as we provided the final PCB files to GC (so far only the CPU board had been provided)
They will be used for the prototypes, and hopefully for the final units as well (they should have everything fixed).

And the DPad will be made by the keymat company and professionally applied to it right away. That's better and cheaper.
The DPad will be slightly rough so you've got a better grip.

That's mostly the news so far, so not much to post :)

What's the d-pad going to be made out of? Is it still polycarbonate? If not, beware that through moderate usage I've already smoothed chunks out of my Pandora's d-pad. It still works fine, but it's far from pristine.

Well, we had a bit of a milestone, as we provided the final PCB files to GC (so far only the CPU board had been provided)
They will be used for the prototypes, and hopefully for the final units as well (they should have everything fixed).

And the DPad will be made by the keymat company and professionally applied to it right away. That's better and cheaper.
The DPad will be slightly rough so you've got a better grip.

That's mostly the news so far, so not much to post :)

291242945_a60c4977bb08.jpg

Back