F1 Race Stars

The demolition derby in Grid was brilliant, made me long for a hd remake (with better damage models) of the psygnosis classic.

I remember that game, I had it but had completely forgotten about it, I'm going to go find me a copy again thanks for reminding me of this one :D

I've played it for most of the afternoon and I'm enjoying it thoroughly, it takes the story and unlockables from littlebigplanet and the customisation is brilliant, I've got a dragster with tank tracks with a dogs snout for the front, two arms on springs either side and fur all over.

The track editor is almost identical to mod nation racers but without as many pre built objects (this is the beta so objects are extremely limited), but you can create you're own custom objects just like in lbp (bit harder in 3d and my creative skills are lacking).

You can make arenas where you fight for points much like the battle arenas from Mario kart, and seeing as there are basic ramp objects and you can build almost anything, I don't imagine it'd be hard to copy the arenas from MK.

The actual gameplay and weapon styles are Mario kart all over, you've got the rocket that is a blue shell, a boxing glove as a bullet bill, little mines as bananas etc etc, I haven't tried it but I think you can make you're own objects and using logic tools make you're own weapons, the racing itself is good, tight control and the option to have either X or R2 to accelerate makes me happy, always used X :) , drifting and boost drifting is an exact copy of mod nation too.

I've just found that you can have hovering cars that have wheels pointing down with little jets (think back to the future), I'm going to see if I can make a wipEout track :)

In short, I'll be getting it, if you like mod nation, littlebigplanet planet and don't mind it copying Mario kart, you'll like this.

The story levels are brilliant, problem is I'm not that creative so I'm useless at making things look pretty, in LBP i have several levels unpublished because I've racked up a good 12 hours creating all the logic, like having sonic tails and knuckles, each with their own abilities and what not, but never made an actual level because I'm crap at design.

I may get it, depends on what else is out at the time (F1 Race stars, Resi 6 and whatever else decides it wants to destroy my bank account).

Back