fastest asus eee pc?

ckblackm

Very Active Member
I just happen to really like the eee pc form factor.. the way it looks, feels, etc.

I currently have a 1015PED model and was wondering if there were any more recent, faster units that anyone knows about?

thanks,

Christopher.

The Netbook class is out of production instead of tablets. 

There are some 11.6 inch laptops by ACER and LENOVO that are close to the netbook idea. 

But do not expect miracles. These are low end laptops with crippled CPUs (there are Intel and AMD options), annoying displays, and the most unreliable chassis.

Acer Aspire V5 and Lenovo IdeaPad S210

If you want real laptop in a small foam factor, check the X series Thinkpads, but they are pricey.

keep in mind that X140e and X131e on the lenovo US page, are not "real" Thinkpads. They are low end laptops with crappy chassis.

Here are the options for the latest X240 http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x240/#techspecs

I am pretty sure that DELL and HP have similar foam factor Latitudes and Ellitebooks, so you can check them also.

In anyways it will be better idea to get a second hand X series Thinkpad instead of new one of any of those above. If you do that, change the thermal paste of the CPU as soon as you get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep a very sharp eye out on ebay/tradera for netbooks of my favourite form factor. And you can pry my Acer Aspire One (ZG5 variety, i.e. 8.9" screen) out of my cold, dead hands...

Wikipedia may be my friend, but it's not correct.  I bought my 1015 series in 2011 from Amazon (still have my receipt), 2 years before Wikipedia says the series started.  Also, the table (at least for me), doesn't show the configurations for the 1015 series.

I'd looked at that page before I asked the question.  :)

Christopher.

Still enjoying my 10.2 inch Samsung netbooks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
I've one of these too, put Bodhi linux onto it a while back, though tend not to use that netbook much now as have a better laptop from work and also a desktop so considering ripping the screen out of it and making use of that

Upgraded the screen in my netbook to a 1280x800 display... Dremel and hot glue all the way baby!

I have a 1025, 10" and now has 3GB RAM (well 4, but apparently it won't go into 64bit, despite seeing some videos saying it can), it's nice, but I prefer the keyboard on my old Samsung one (NC10, I think), which unfortunately is now broke.

But yeah, 10" is a nice form factor, very useful for developing on whilst on the go

Do you still have windows on it?  If so.. what's the windows performance score?   and what display adapter does it use?

Any idea where I could find a CE model?  Searches on amazon & ebay came up empty.

thanks,

Christopher.

It does still have Win7 - I upgraded it from Home to Pro though. I'll have to check later what the score is. It has VGA and HDMI out (if that's what you mean by display adapter)

I don't know where you can buy them from any more. For some reason, manufacturers didn't like netbooks and decided to kill them off. But then, I guess if I'm in a minority that likes that type of kit, why would they continue?

By display adapter I was meaning it's video chipset.
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3650 according to hereIt won't calculate a Windows performance, tells me there's an error. But I find it pretty responsive, especially when I upgraded the RAM.

An SSD upgrade doesn't hurt with the snappy either for a netbook. If you do t need a lot of storage you can definitely pick up 32 to 64 gb drives cheap these days.

I had a friend's Asus EEE in my car when I was going 100mph/161kph on the freeway once.

I'm sure someone in Germany on the autobahn got me beat though.

Back