Favorite Arcade Sports Titles For The Gp2x

Ripster

Website
Visit site
Like the title says... I was wondering what everyones favorite sports titles are that emulate on the GP2x. I was particularly interested in Tecmo Bowl... but I have not been able to get it to work in MAME. However I hear that the Tecmo Soccer Game for '96 does on the GNGeo...

Soooooooooo... I am admittedly a bit of a sports junkie... and with my new GP2x in hand... I am looking to fill it with some good arcade sports games. I have played just about all the console games in my life but during that time really missed out on the arcade ones... and thought this would be a great chance to catch up. Not only that but... the one thing I love about the arcade versions is that its perfect if I only have 15 or 20 minutes of playing time.

You could try out Capcom sports club for cps2emu the tennis part is good but very hard to beat. Megadrive/genesis also has some good sports games like ATP tennis and sensible soccer.

Ripster said:
Like the title says... I was wondering what everyones favorite sports titles are that emulate on the GP2x. I was particularly interested in Tecmo Bowl... but I have not been able to get it to work in MAME. However I hear that the Tecmo Soccer Game for '96 does on the GNGeo...

Soooooooooo... I am admittedly a bit of a sports junkie... and with my new GP2x in hand... I am looking to fill it with some good arcade sports games. I have played just about all the console games in my life but during that time really missed out on the arcade ones... and thought this would be a great chance to catch up. Not only that but... the one thing I love about the arcade versions is that its perfect if I only have 15 or 20 minutes of playing time.
Jennifer Capriati Tennis for the Sega Genesis is probably one of the all-time greats. Try it, you'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
EA Hockey and John Madden for the Megadrive/Genesis are total classics.
Although I generaly don't like computer baseball games I thought 2020 baseball for NeoGeo was great. Apparently Windjammers for NeoGeo is supposed to be great, although I never played it.

tecmo superbowl for the genesis is the best iteration I think.

the neogeo baseball games are my favorite, thought the music and announcer are dead annoying
nintendo's game boy baseball game: simply called "baseball" is pretty nice and simple.

ea nhl hockey 94 for genesis is the best of breed there

mario tennis for gameboy color

there's a good neo geo golf game

I don't know a really good basketball game - but ea made a million of them for genesis.

sensible soccer for genesis

claus said:
You could try out Capcom sports club for cps2emu the tennis part is good but very hard to beat..
That's the one that I would suggest too.
I played it for the first time about a week ago & was hooked straight away.
Probably the best tennis game I've played in years & the cartoon graphics make me chuckle :D

For a good tennis game, you can also try Jimmy Connors Pro Tennis Tour for the SNES.

And there's a "port" of MAME's Tehkam World Cup for the NES, named Tecmo World Cup Soccer. Very recommended.

Hmmm... sorry I guess I should have been more specific. I am really only looking at arcade sports titles, something a little less involved geared more for entertainment than hardcore time stealing fun.

I agree, my favorites thus far have been Capcom's Sport Club. I have been able to win the finals for both the tennis and soccer, but the basketball portion eludes me. I have gotten to the finals but I have yet to get close to winning.

I also like King of Boxers for MAME, Turf Masters golf... and Baseball Stars 2 for Neo Geo. I do also have a guilty pleasure in League Bowling... however I don't quite understand the physics they use in the game, that harder I throw the more spin I get?

I was really hoping that Tecmo Bowl (football) would work... but it used a two screens in the arcade so I guess that is unlikely. I guess I can always play Tecmo Bowl 3 on the SNES emulator.

Like I said I like the arcade versions for their simple and fun game play, plus it seems you are done in short order, unlike console games that seem much more complex and tend to eat up time.

CoMiKe said:
For a good tennis game, you can also try Jimmy Connors Pro Tennis Tour for the SNES.

And there's a "port" of MAME's Tehkam World Cup for the NES, named Tecmo World Cup Soccer. Very recommended.
Thank you :) , i didn´t know that game, it is better than Tekhan even.At least the 5 minutes i have played it :D

Speedball 2 - a futuristic sports arcade sim. Best version is on the real Amiga (or emulated on PC) However, Mega Drive (Genesis) version on GP2X is pretty close. Seriouly try out the league for a while and you will think this as one of the best games ever!!

Super Sidekicks 1 for Neo Geo is one of my favourites. It's got an infectious, 'happy' quality about it.

The later sequels are ok too, but require raster interupt, so not as good on GP2X performance wise.

sensible GP32 said:
football champ on mame :p
I might have to check that out. I love soccer/football games.

It's worse in Australia. We have 3 popular and fully professional codes of football: Aussie Rules, Rugby League and Soccer..... and everyone wants to use the word football. It's crazy!

Back