Fbpanel

chris_c

As those of you have tried lxde will know the menu doesn't do sub categories for menus like games

This leaves some games in the other menu and a large (on my Pandora!) Games menu - not a disaster and a small price to pay for the increase in performance

However I was looking at other menu's that I could use with the rest of lxde that might be just a light weight but better.

I checked out fbpanel and compiled it, unfortunately it also doesn't seem to support game sub categories - but worse there is no other menu for some it cant place - leaving some pnd's not on any menu :(

Ah well it was worth a try...

A lot of pnds have badly defined categories; quite a shame :) xfce is set up to dump them to Other for instance, and new minimenu does too. I think we're ready to start bugging devs to fix their pnds with proper categories :)

(We see a lot of stuff such as category "Games" instead of "Game", or "Application" instead of "Game"; or "Emulator" as a main category instead of a subcategory, etc. These sorts of things can screw up a lot of menus ..)

You can always run minimenu from xfce, as a launcher if you happen to like how it organizes things. (You can bind a key or menu item to run 'mmwrapper -fmmenu', which will run mmenu; you can edit /etc/pandora/conf/mmenu.conf and turn windowed mode on if you don't want it to grab fullscreen, for instance, as well.

jeff

Plus in MM you can now put the apps where you want them too I think.

Atomos -- the latest minimenu will do the ovr edits for you, using the UI, so you don't have to do it by hand. Or if you're a terminal or text editor nerd, then doing it by hand works fine too, as long as you're careful not to hang yourself :)

jeff

@skeezix: Reading your post I find I am probably a text editor nerd ;)

I have once tried minimenu but I didn't like it; so I switched back to XFCE and configure now as much as possible with vim :p

*g* First thing I do on every system is install Emacs (can't stand vi/vim/elvis/etc .. I know enough to use it to set up /etc/resolv.conf so I can suck down emacs ;) ... Emacs is heavy on the meta-keys like control, but works pretty well. vi modal operatoin is somethign I despise in general, but does work well on keyboards like the pandora ...

Still, using mmenu to edit ovr's is handy since at least it'll give you a pick-list of options, so you don't typo something :) But hand making ovr's (or copying from a template etc) works fine of course :)

jeff

skeezix said:
*g* First thing I do on every system is install Emacs (can't stand vi/vim/elvis/etc .. I know enough to use it to set up /etc/resolv.conf so I can suck down emacs ;)
vi-emacs2.jpg

Sorry for the offtopicness, I just couldnt resist :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It actually does, it's just that the current firmware only specifies the subcategories for xfce (which lxde dutifully ignores as it should).

The easiest fix is probably:

mkdir -p $HOME/Applications/Settings/menus/ && ln -s /etc/xdg/op/menus/xfce-applications.menu $HOME/Applications/Settings/menus/lxde-applications.menu

If it doesn't pick up the new menu layout right away you can simply re-add the menu panel applet (or relogon).

Back