Feedback for repo.openpandora.org

this is the way PHP validates URLs apparently (without regexp)?

Code:
//this is the built in php function i use

filter_var($url_string,FILTER_VALIDATE_URL);//returns boolian

My local PHP 5.3.6 (cli) executes:

Code:
var_dump(filter_var("http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/puzzles/",FILTER_VALIDATE_URL));

and returns this:

Code:
string(52) "http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/puzzles/"

So the error must lie somewhere else.

Recently I have the feeling that a breakthrough concerning development activity is happening right now.

The number of releases in the repository increases dramatically in my personal perception!

Then I had the thought, that it would be great to have some empirical basis for this assumption.

Could we introduce some kind of release statistics to the repo?

Would be great to have a figure with different graphs: Full, Alpha, Beta, Update, All releases

And to display the graphs in different modes:

• Accumulated release count (Beginning until that point in time). The graph can go up, at worst stay parallel to the X-axis (no new releases)
  • Release count (Count for 1 time period) The graph can go in all directions.

These different display forms make it easier to interpret.

When hovering over the numbers, the respective apps could be shown. Or per row you could add 1 column mentioning all the releases of that time period. Either all together, or prefixed with a character or symbol for the release kind (alpha, beta, fresh, update).

The statistics could be very differentiated, i.e. number of applications, games, or even into SubCategories, as all releases are mostly properly tagged.

A mockup of how the graph could look like:

Repo-Release-Statistics-Mockup.png

I do have plans for basic graphs data stastistics like top daily download, top weekly download, top monthly download etc I guess this could be done also, though I hate knowning that I would have to build this as stats builing is boring :p

I feel sympathy with you, that this is a "boring" task, but I think it really is a valuable monitoring tool, for the core team as well as any community member!

I hope that this appreciation can cheer you up.

Btw, I have meanwhile seen you MilkShake on a video from the recent arcade gaming fair in the UK. It is nice to get to know the face behind the online representation. I will soon present myself, to make my community identity more personal. :)

I do have plans for basic graphs data stastistics like top daily download, top weekly download, top monthly download etc I guess this could be done also, though I hate knowning that I would have to build this as stats builing is boring :p

Just a thought, quick and drunk (too much beers already tonight, i love no-work-fridays), are data from repo easily exportable?

What i mean is that you don't have to do all the boring work yourself, repo is a great achievement, and other devs can maybe help you to format data if it's exportable :D

I'm just going to repost my suggestion from the beta thread back in April.

I have an idea to further encourage ratings & comments. I tend to grab a handful of new things in one session, and test them in the following days. When I come back to the repo, the quickest way to rate them would be if the star icons were alongside the the games in my download list:

dkD5I.png

From here you could pull a sneaky little trick. When a star is clicked, a mini comment box appears.

Sajef.png

You wouldn't want to type a novel in there, but it might get more people to simply type 'thanks' or something.

And speaking of that, thanks for your ongoing work milkshake! The site is an absolute pleasure to use.
^ What he said. :)

lol thanks for that gruso haha, the repo has come so far it it seems like these is still crap loads to do :p

Btw, I have meanwhile seen you MilkShake on a video from the recent arcade gaming fair in the UK. It is nice to get to know the face behind the online representation. I will soon present myself, to make my community identity more personal. :)

one thing you have failed in though, is providing the long promised source code

yeah, that is true, and when I do release the source code, it will not be a full source code, but just enough for somone to set up there own repo generating (upload pnd it it stores the PXML data in a db which can then be used to generate a repo compatible json) system.

it will not include any real front end, no search functions or user accounts comments or anything like that, but once the user has the db its not hard to build a front end anyway.

Just a thought, quick and drunk (too much beers already tonight, i love no-work-fridays), are data from repo easily exportable?

What i mean is that you don't have to do all the boring work yourself, repo is a great achievement, and other devs can maybe help you to format data if it's exportable :D
And Google's Visualization API can make some pretty good/sexy graphs and charts, too.

Bump!

I'm noticing in numerous release threads that devs are complaining about their entries getting one star ratings for no reason. And I've also seen your posts (@milkshake) suggesting someone is just doing this across the board. *sigh* This is why I don't like these ratings systems. But anyway. I'm guessing it's just a script kiddie, probably using greasemonkey or something to automate their trolling. I've seen it happen on forums with thread ratings and/or user rep. (I actually got a script kiddie friend to make me one for GP32X, to help undo the work of the rep trolls when it was enabled there.)

On a different site, they stamped out the thread rating trolls by changing the system. Rather than a rating being displayed after one entry, they changed the way they were calculated, one of the changes being that no rating would show up until x number of ratings were submitted. With only one rating possible per thread per user, trolling became too much of a task and the nonsense stopped. Maybe you could implement something like that, keeping the inner workings of it secret of course.

To devs getting single star ratings, I suggest ignoring it. It's just some idiot amusing himself, and not a reflection of your work.

Last edited by a moderator:
well actually what you described is how it used to work but people suggested to do it a different way which I did.

for example if there are between 1 and 4 ratings the ratings starts are a light blue colour, if there is 4 or more ratings then it changes to dark blue which is a final type rating.

also we know who's doing the rating and mcobit has emailed the person in question, hopefully its a misunderstanding if not I can reduce the persons access on the repo disabling ratings for that person and of course deleting all his ratings, but lets see what happens first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back